Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The man above knows transmissions.

How many shift can you count?

Are you getting first to second, second to third, third to fourth?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Try MANUAL 1st gear, the 1 on shifter and see what it acts like. Solenoid A, which also does the 3-4 engagement may be dead. It also gets used in manual first.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I have never seen an ignition misfire that was violent enough to describe it as one that would cause an accident. Maybe in somebody's fearful mind like here but not reality.
He could lose power and get rear ended. Or steering fail and run off the road. Death can happen at 70mph.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Until the problem is known you don't know it's safe or not. Smarter people than you designed the Pinto. And look where that went.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Is this the part where you lower others down to your level then beat them up with experience???

Kinda feeling that.

It's really not working.

Going to war with the rest of the planet is..........well.........do as you will, sooner or later you will tire of it. Let us know when you win.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The man above knows transmissions.

How many shift can you count?

Are you getting first to second, second to third, third to fourth?

Most of the time it shifts just fine occasionally it does shift rough or take a lil bit for it to shift sometimes the shift is a tad delayed but it usually depends on how hard I accelerate

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,703 Posts
I would love to see a photo of your car. So many threads....

·
Registered
21 Posts
sound like a good idea to change the trans filter and fluid before the trans dies when was the last time you had the trans fluid checked??

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Put a drain plug in the pan and check the fluid quality without ever yanking pan. If the fluid is kept clean there is no need to ever change the filter, they only dirty up with long fluid use to burn the fluid so the trans begins wearing to put metal in it.

I now pretty much may change one trans filter in the life of a 200K + mile car, another $50 bucks made out of thin air.

Change one for sure if you need it but wasting money on filters that never get dirty? I've even recleaned them to throw them right back in before. An ATX does not generate nearly the trash an engine does unless you stay silly to never change the fluid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put a drain plug in the pan and check the fluid quality without ever yanking pan. If the fluid is kept clean there is no need to ever change the filter, they only dirty up with long fluid use to burn the fluid so the trans begins wearing to put metal in it.

I now pretty much may change one trans filter in the life of a 200K + mile car, another $50 bucks made out of thin air.

Change one for sure if you need it but wasting money on filters that never get dirty? I've even recleaned them to throw them right back in before. An ATX does not generate nearly the trash an engine does unless you stay silly to never change the flu
My car has had 2 random jerks while going a consistent speed, it did it once last week and once yesterday now today it has a noticeable lack of power and it struggles to accelerate at times but still no Check Engine Light, my car is the 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 it doesn’t idle rough and the jerks are completely random does this sound like a bad transmission or something else
CatfishAngler: how many miles on the 2005 focus???

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just changed my valve gasket cover and while I did that I chnaged out the sparkplugs and ignition coils. And had used “Bosch platinum ir no gap needed plugs” turns out they were discontinued back in 2016, and they were actually misfiring ; of my cylinders, in my opinion start small, buy a set of new spark plugs, gap them to 0.50, if you want also order a 4 pack of ignition coils off rock auto, and replace them while you at it, and while your on the site get your self a fuel filter, start small sparkplugs, ignition coils, and a file filter. These mk1 also have this lifetime airfilter, might want to look into doing a DYI cold air intake “very easy” “just work off the MAF sense tube and cut the ends and get silicone cup links to fit the rest”, also buy your self a cheap code reader, your light might not be ok but it doesn’t hurt to run a text to see if your IM readiness is good and o2 sensors, buy the “Launch Creader 319 off Amazon 25$” best bang for your but and it will give you all that info and also let you run small live data, but hey I’m no professional just a certified DIY YouTube mechanic lol. Don’t stress, it’s not your transmission, your shift solenoid A,B are completely fine, unless if the jerk your talking about is when your driving and your O/D light turns on and not green but orange, if that’s the case then yes I would worry about your transmission and your shift solenoids. Wish you luck, and to be honest, just buy your self the cheap obd2 reader, even if you have a fancy more expensive one, this one gets the job done and tbh I feel works better then some of the others I used like snapon for example, no fuss just plug and play and straight to the point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just saying. I have never seen an ignition misfire that was violent enough to describe it as one that would cause an accident. Maybe in somebody's fearful mind like here but not reality. Torque converters simply don't jerk at all, they most commonly slip when the TCC in them wears out on this particular trans. You'll get noise from impeller rubbing before any bearing could ever shell out to lock converter up. Codes for ignition? Maybe not, the ignition normally has to fail to misfire about 10% or so to log codes unless pending with no light.

If no OD like this car supposedly has then trans may be signalling it is trying to lock up OD, with the previous complaints and lack of driver experience I now ask a question I haven't before (trying to be tactful) as in does the car even have 2nd gear? If driver has been driving an errant car the car will fault to 3rd gear only in failsafe and maybe he's been driving with a destroyed trans all this time. Some drivers ARE that oblivious to what is going on. If no 2nd gear nor OD then the band may be shelled and the jerk maybe.

I'd be looking for an ignition misfire here for sure, could be plugs, coil contact areas, coil wiring (power), etc.
I really like your answer, I should have read three all the comments before leaving mine but there was too much nonsense, he was aski for help so we just are offering our knowledge, worries me, what if I have a problem and want to post, are people going to bash me? Lol wild

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really like your answer, I should have read three all the comments before leaving mine but there was too much nonsense, he was aski for help so we just are offering our knowledge, worries me, what if I have a problem and want to post, are people going to bash me? Lol wild
I still would look at doing a trans. fluid swap, changing the trans filter/screen would not hurt a little bit sometimes goes a long way. keep in mind there is no such thing as lifetime filters or fluid that is a bunch of horse crap that they want you to swallow and do not put Bosch plugs some of these fords don't like them, go for ngk, autilite or motorcraft plugs for your focus.Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Until the problem is known you don't know it's safe or not. Smarter people than you designed the Pinto. And look where that went.
The Pinto made a great 1/4 mile care! What the hell do you Know.!!! Get your s.... in order before you open your pie hole.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I still would look at doing a trans. fluid swap, changing the trans filter/screen would not hurt a little bit sometimes goes a long way. keep in mind there is no such thing as lifetime filters or fluid that is a bunch of horse crap that they want you to swallow and do not put Bosch plugs some of these fords don't like them, go for ngk, autilite or motorcraft plugs for your focus.Good Luck.
I agree with everything you just said, yes I have ngk sparkplugs that I swapped out. And yes the transmission is my next thing I’ll be working on tbh, my 07mk1 is running great right now at 153,000, but again I regularly maintenance the vehicle with oil change every 3k miles, and small things like new valve gasket seal, spark plugs, ignition coils, coolant thermostat sensor, starter, ac compressor, the next thing I’m actually going to be doing is transmission fluid, tranny ffilter, solenoid a&b and a fuel filter. The reason I’m going to do the solenoids is because it’s happen to me like 5 times in 5 months, but hasent happend in like a month close to two, where I’ll be driving come to a stop at a stop sign or a stop, and when I accelerate to go my O/D comes on flashing orange and the gears feel like they won’t catch at all, what I normally do is park turn off the car and turn it on again and that’s worked or, drive it out and it goes away, the only think I could read up on is A&B that the sensor for the O/D is kicking on but faulting, even though I’m not touching it. If you have any thoughts on that I’d greatly appreciate the help on that

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
You commonly show solenoid issues when they get out of normal range because the trans is low on pressure due to wear. The computer can only interpret things as solenoid because that is the only output it can change values on. Leading to.........the vast majority of solenoids getting changed for literally nothing, there is nothing wrong with them.

Light colors are getting mixed up here, there is a green OD light and a separate trans (or cooling system) issue light that is orange, two different lights.

People should know that most a/c compressors get changed for nothing. There is likely nothing wrong with them. I used to sell them. The shops always claim the compressor is dead because that repair gets the most shop money and you can be dumb and still change them, whereas knowing what to do if you don't change it is somewhat harder to figure out. Why I commonly fix a/c issues 90% of the time for well under $50 and often under $20.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts