Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has had 2 random jerks while going a consistent speed, it did it once last week and once yesterday now today it has a noticeable lack of power and it struggles to accelerate at times but still no Check Engine Light, my car is the 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 it doesn’t idle rough and the jerks are completely random does this sound like a bad transmission or something else

·
Registered
117 Posts
Torque converter problems are possible but that's a costly repair. I would rule out engine misfire first. You said plugs were replaced recently but what about spark plug wires. They can go bad too. Or a plug could be gapped wrong. Or one could be loose. Or you could have oil leaking onto a spark plug. Lots of things. That's why I like to do spark plugs and wires to see for myself.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The car doesn't have spark plug wires.
It has individual ignition coils for each spark plug.

You need to stop worrying so much.

I'm not trying to be rude but please stop making so many individual posts it's taking over the whole site.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The person did not mention anything about the car violently shaking going down the road.

The person mentioned the car having a random jerk that has happened twice over a period of several days.

My advice is not dangerous. You talking about stuff that you do not know like the car having spark plug wires which it does not, and you being a dick to everybody is going to ruin this site.

We have professionals on this site who have worked on cars for a long time with a vast knowledge base. You don't have a passion for vehicles, you don't have any experience in school with vehicles, you haven't worked in a shop.

If I was going to get advice on how to build a house would I get it from a contractor who has built a house, or some random dude who has never built a house.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I asked him to clarify "jerk" and he thought it was a misfire. When my car misfired it was violent. Maybe he can explain what he means by jerk.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
So what is it then genius.
Impossible to diagnose over the internet.

The car needs to be driven by someone with experience, and the problem needs to happen as the person is driving it.

The car needs a look over of the suspensions and steering components. Engine mounts and so on

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
Just saying. I have never seen an ignition misfire that was violent enough to describe it as one that would cause an accident. Maybe in somebody's fearful mind like here but not reality. Torque converters simply don't jerk at all, they most commonly slip when the TCC in them wears out on this particular trans. You'll get noise from impeller rubbing before any bearing could ever shell out to lock converter up. Codes for ignition? Maybe not, the ignition normally has to fail to misfire about 10% or so to log codes unless pending with no light.

If no OD like this car supposedly has then trans may be signalling it is trying to lock up OD, with the previous complaints and lack of driver experience I now ask a question I haven't before (trying to be tactful) as in does the car even have 2nd gear? If driver has been driving an errant car the car will fault to 3rd gear only in failsafe and maybe he's been driving with a destroyed trans all this time. Some drivers ARE that oblivious to what is going on. If no 2nd gear nor OD then the band may be shelled and the jerk maybe.

I'd be looking for an ignition misfire here for sure, could be plugs, coil contact areas, coil wiring (power), etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts