Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I missed 5th gear and went into 3rd from the top of [email protected]*%! My pants quickly put in 6th and I think everything is fine anyone else do this ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
time for new superman underoos lol

·
.Flat Out.
4,794 Posts
while autocrossing a couple of weeks ago i went to down shift from 2nd to 1st and i went straight to reverse!!!! luckily i didn't let the clutch out because i realized it!!
oh, and i "down" shifted from 2nd to 3rd.. needless to say i didn't win that race haha.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If the car is driving fine I guess you should be fine. you can over-rev the engine doing that and cause valve trauma or timing issues. You'd know if you did.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya as soon as I heard the wine I was like happy feet in the clutch again! Think I was lucky I've never done that with any if my cars! It runs fine no odd nosies and still idles normal!

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I've done it twice, but thankfully I wasn't at the top of 4th when I did it and the car was fine both times. I have a whole new head now, and I'm a little more careful about shifting, especially into 5th.

time for new superman underoos lol
Bahahahaha! [rofl]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have a guess to what rpm's motor was turning when u go into 3rd from the top of 4th? I didn't even get a cel hmmm...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Somewhere in the 10k range, 10.4ish.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I came up with about 8900rpm using the overall gear ratios.

7200rpm (redline) / 4.6 (4th gear overall ratio) * 5.7 (3rd gear overall ratio) = 8922rpm

Your engine is fine, but it most likely reduced the life of your timing belt a bit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks ya i was thinking about the 8500-9000 range seeing what my rpm drops were when i would change to 4th from 3rd normally!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
As long as your Danger to Manifold light didn't flash, you're probably fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I came up with about 8900rpm using the overall gear ratios.

7200rpm (redline) / 4.6 (4th gear overall ratio) * 5.7 (3rd gear overall ratio) = 8922rpm

Your engine is fine, but it most likely reduced the life of your timing belt a bit.

ya ive been wanting to change my belt soon the cars got 115k on it and motor has 50ish. iam coming from the honda scene, had a gsr. working on those were a piece of cake with all the room you had, i didnt have ac or ps that helped!! i look into the svt's bay and iam thinking how the hell iam i gonna get in there!

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've done something like this before lol. Accidently, of course. I was on an abandonded street about 3 miles away from my house just driving and shifting at redline. Well I ened up shifting from 3rd gear to 2nd gear missing 4th @ 70mph. And yes, I did let the clutch out :/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts