Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so like the title said, i should know the answer to this, but...
it is -5 outside and i dont want to go searching through my ****ing wires to find it.
2003 ZX-3 with Blau MP3.

so... Having installed many a new HU's in cars i know that when dealing with wires and such you should solder and tape. no problem right, well i was lazy with this job and didnt want to do it. plus in a few weeks i will be putting in a new HU so i didnt want to cut all that shit apart. OK so here is the issue that i am having and have never had b4 with an install. My head unit will not store any memeory. When i turn off the ignition the HU looses all of my settings, like i never put them in. Now i did take apart the the install and looked to see it i messed up on the twist and tape job, and it is all fine. i checked to see if the pins were loss or had come out, all fine. I have heard of problems like this b4 where fuses had been blown out causeing the loss of a direct current to the battery, but i dont know what fuse i shold be looking for. The unit works fine when the car is running or just with the ignition on. Thanx for any help in advance

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You fit turns? WTF mate? Ohhh, are you talking about the caps you screw onto the wires when you mate them, like crimping. yeah ive done that, but im gonna soder them later, like ai said above. I dont think i have my wires crossed Red to Red, Black to Black, Yellow to Yellow, Orange to Orange. all good. I will try switching the Orange and yellowsa aorund, and see what happens, but the orange is the illumination and i dont think that will do anything. and unless the VW harness is wrong, i dont think i should attach the Red to the Yellow, that would not be the best thing i dont think. thanx though

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry I'm a terrible typer. IF IT turns on you just need to switch the 2 power lines around and see if that works. IT won't turn on at all if one is not hooked up. Swith the yellow and red around they are bassackwards sometimes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill do it in the morning and let you know

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, that is what it was. so for future referance, anyone that is installing a pioneer HU into a 2003 ZX3, useing the VW harness, the ignition power (red wire) and the constant power (yellow wire) need to be crossed. funny.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But the best. I have onwed many and will continue to own them

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when you wire the two harnesses together you would normaly put the colored wires together in order, red to red, yellow to yellow, black to black and so on. with this harness you need to attatch the red wire to the yellow wire, and the yellow to the red, of the adaptor harness to the Head Unit harness (if you are spliceing into the factory harness, not recomended, use the diagram provided on the wireing diagram thread)
Anything else?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the Blaupunkt MP3 cd player in car? That is the reason I need the VW harness, Blaupunkt is a German company, and a lot of these cars were designed in Germany so a lot of the parts or German. The Blaupunkt MP3 cd player harness is one of them. If you were to replace your factory H.U. with a Blaupunkt unit, in a 2003, you would not even need to buy an adapter harness, it would just plug right in. And if you wer lucky enough to own a blau cd player (aftermarket) and never hooked up an amp, you could just use the removable RCA pre-outs that came with it, right in the back of your Blau factory cd player in a 2003. Something I learned just last night while looking through all my old audio stuff.

Long story short, you should just be able to use the Ford non-premium harness form best buy or walmart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts