Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while. Glad to finally join the community as I want to share this.

I finally got my dream car last Saturday. I just happened to come across it while browsing the dealer inventories. It had the color and options I wanted (although it turned out that it comes with navigation, which I wasn't originally going for) so it was either get it now, use the private cash and low pre-approved APR, or order one and lose all that. I chose to act.

Anyway, on Sunday while I was driving my new girlfriend around, I decided to close the window and turn up the radio volume. The system at first was lagging to register my volume up key press via the steering wheel, then froze all together, while the volume kept going up until an unbearable amount. Long story short, I had to get off the highway, pull over and get out. The loud music and system stayed on for another minute or so before it finally decided that it had enough. MFT gave me a maintenance screen after I restarted the car and everything was fine after that. I thought, while I wasn't completely surprised that MFT broke (been reading here much), it was kind of a bummer that it broke the second day after I got the car.

Anyway fast forward to today; I was driving home from work, had my window up, decided to get some fresh air so I pressed the window down button while turning the volume down from the steering wheel at same time. Guess what, the system froze again. Exactly the same as last time except the system didn't reboot after I restarted the car.

So there it is: it seems that if you press the volume control (either up or down) and power window at same time the system would freeze. Can someone confirm this? Do I get a cookie for finding out the bug?

P.S. My Sync version is v2.10 according to syncmyride.com. I've made an appointment to local dealership to upgrade it to v2.11 but that's not happening until Monday.

·
Registered
425 Posts
One thing I learned quickly... when MFT is frozen, it will still accept every single input you do, then do it all after it's done freezing.

It froze once on me while I was turning up the volume, obviously it stopped getting louder, so I kept trying to crank it. Still frozen. Then I was getting close to home so I wanted to turn down the volume, so I turned the knob down. Just as I was pulling in to my driveway it got REALLY LOUD... then really quiet :p

So yeah, just be aware of what you're doing while it's frozen. It will do it... eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It froze once on me while I was turning up the volume, obviously it stopped getting louder, so I kept trying to crank it. Still frozen. Then I was getting close to home so I wanted to turn down the volume, so I turned the knob down. Just as I was pulling in to my driveway it got REALLY LOUD... then really quiet :p
That was exactly what happened, except I couldn't stand the loudness for that long to find out if it'll eventually process my volume down inputs.

I'm more curious about the cause of this though. I'm hoping someone else can confirm this and I'll try to reproduce the bug tomorrow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I wouldn't even be concerned about this until you get your system updated to 2.11.

·
Banned
571 Posts
When the volume goes to max which has happened to me twice, use the manual controls on the radio head. On one trip where I couldn't pull over, I had to keep using the manual knob to turn down the volume about every 10 seconds. The MFT was frozen and it kept trying to up the volume.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You will notice such a difference when you get the MFT updated to 2.11!!! I got it last thursday and there have been NO problems since.. no freezes, no system reboots, nothing. Just make sure when you pick up your car when its done, that they've calibrated the buttons and tabs after the update.. they forgot to do it for me so when I picked up my car every tab brought me to something else than it should have.. every button was off-set so I had press around the screen to "guess" where any button was actually at. Very annoying, but I'm not the only one on these forums that its happened to so make sure of this before you go home with it. After they fixed that for me, its been great and I'm pleased with MFT now, instead of frustrated with the thing on a daily basis because of the bugs lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I may have debunked myself here. I tried the volume up/down + power window this morning but it was functioning properly this time. Although I should note that I did that while parked so it might be different when you do this while driving.

Either way, I hope I'll get updated soon. I called the dealership where I bought the car from and the salesperson to dealt with me kept insisting that if there's an update the car will let me know. Um...ya. So went to the local dealership, showed them the TSB number and booked an appointment. Hope it'll go smoothly.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've only had two hard freezes in 3 months, but one was while adjusting the volume control from the steering wheel so you must be onto something. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle on the 2.11 update before heading in to the dealer to get it applied.

When the volume goes to max which has happened to me twice, use the manual controls on the radio head. On one trip where I couldn't pull over, I had to keep using the manual knob to turn down the volume about every 10 seconds. The MFT was frozen and it kept trying to up the volume.
Funny, I had this "exact" same experience on a trip back from Nashville.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've only had two hard freezes in 3 months, but one was while adjusting the volume control from the steering wheel so you must be onto something. I'm just waiting for the dust to settle on the 2.11 update before heading in to the dealer to get it applied.

Funny, I had this "exact" same experience on a trip back from Nashville.
There is no dust to settle, all the new cars being produced come with the new update.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Could you just turn the MFT off like a regular stereo instead of pulling over and running for your life? [hihi]
No, once it freezes, you can't turn it off or deactivate it. You have to stop the car, turn it off and wait up to two hours before it resets itself. Or learn to pull the fuses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've found that when my MFT freezes, it happens when I get a little too aggressive using the steering wheel controls to change the songs. I use the circular button now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts