Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
TiR, it sounded absolutely amazing. It really did sound like a beast. Even my wife was impressed. I'm missing it terribly.

Anyway I'll let you know how it stacks up to it. At the very least it has to sound better than it does now!
Your wife didn't think it was too loud? So it's wife approved?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your wife didn't think it was too loud? So it's wife approved?
Except for that horrible under-load drone at 3,100 RPM. That's the only reason I had to go back to stock. If I lived on flat land like back home in Texas I would have kept it that way.

I'm going to see what the airbox lid removed is like. Hopefully it gives me the same sound. That way I can take the lid off when I'm driving the car.

I didn't realize how tame these cars sound until I took the resonator off. It went from kitten to tiger [giddy]

Now it's a kitten again. [?|] Hopefully the Magnaflow muffler swap will put some growl back into it again. Getting that done Friday.

EDIT: I just realized something. I really am just a big kid.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not yet. Just got in from work. 12 hours today. I'm an appliance and furniture delivery man. I'm freaking wore out, lol

Hopefully I'll play with that tomorrow. I'm also getting my dual out 18'' Magnaflow installed tomorrow morning. I'll let you all know what I think.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^ you and me both. I'm like a kid in a Lego store at autozone.
Your a kid eating a chalupa in a taco stand next to the autozone with the lego store inside it. [:)]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello Team Foci!

Got the exhaust put on. I'm not sure what it sounds like outside of the car yet. I need to have someone drive the car for me so I can hear it. It does have a little drone at idle through 1,500 RPM and around 3,100 RPM under load, which surprised me. I didn't think I would get any drone with doing just a muffler swap, especially using an 18'' Magnaflow.

I opened my driver side door and revved the engine and I really liked what I heard. It does sound a lot deeper.

I've yet to see what the wife thinks. She better like it because I don't want to go back to stock!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hello Team Foci!

Got the exhaust put on. I'm not sure what it sounds like outside of the car yet. I need to have someone drive the car for me so I can hear it. It does have a little drone at idle through 1,500 RPM and around 3,100 RPM under load, which surprised me. I didn't think I would get any drone with doing just a muffler swap, especially using an 18'' Magnaflow.

I opened my driver side door and revved the engine and I really liked what I heard. It does sound a lot deeper.

I've yet to see what the wife thinks. She better like it because I don't want to go back to stock!
Does it just drone with a cold start?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Seems to be more prone to the drone cold, yes. While it does get better once warm it doesn't go away completely. In my opinion it's nothing unmanageable. I haven't had the car on the highway yet. I should tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is at highway speeds.

I did have my coworker drive the car around the block for me today. I am very impressed. More than happy. The car sounds completely stock just cruising but once he put the throttle down she opened up. Very deep and very aggressive. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Seems to be more prone to the drone cold, yes. While it does get better once warm it doesn't go away completely. In my opinion it's nothing unmanageable. I haven't had the car on the highway yet. I should tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is at highway speeds.

I did have my coworker drive the car around the block for me today. I am very impressed. More than happy. The car sounds completely stock just cruising but once he put the throttle down she opened up. Very deep and very aggressive. I'm happy with it.
I'm happy with my exhaust too! I removed my intake resonator. It just made the low hum even louder, that's it. WOT sounds the same, so I'm going to put it back in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I removed my intake resonator. It just made the low hum even louder, that's it. WOT sounds the same, so I'm going to put it back in.
Man that is really weird. I can't believe that. [scratch] Did you plug the hole or leave it open?

I'm missing my intake noise. Just had the better half order another airbox lid. I'm going to make some very decisive cuts on my old airbox lid.
What I may do is cut out a large square from the top of it and attach a sliding plate so I can seal it off when I want to. If that doesn't work out, I'll just stick to my original plan and cut the old lid up (the parts farthest away from the heat source) That way if the missus doesn't like it I can put the new lid on and forget it until I drive the car.

I'm not super crazy about the idea of running lidless. I'm nervous the filter will bounce off and out.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Man that is really weird. I can't believe that. [scratch] Did you plug the hole or leave it open?

I'm missing my intake noise. Just had the better half order another airbox lid. I'm going to make some very decisive cuts on my old airbox lid.
What I may do is cut out a large square from the top of it and attach a sliding plate so I can seal it off when I want to. If that doesn't work out, I'll just stick to my original plan and cut the old lid up (the parts farthest away from the heat source) That way if the missus doesn't like it I can put the new lid on and forget it until I drive the car.

I'm not super crazy about the idea of running lidless. I'm nervous the filter will bounce off and out.
I left the hole open. I'm going to try lidless next. I think it would be a great winter mod.

I will most Likely order the green filter with cap. Cap off in the winter; cap on in the summer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Tell me what you think of going lidless when you do. I haven't done it yet. While I know a lot of guys do that and have done it for many miles, I'm just concerned about the filter bumping off.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Tell me what you think of going lidless when you do. I haven't done it yet. While I know a lot of guys do that and have done it for many miles, I'm just concerned about the filter bumping off.
I just took the lid off. It sounds awesome with my exhaust! Too bad it's letting in hot air. I'm in Kansas City right now; 91 degrees, but the throttle response feels better with the lid off!

The bottom of the box has metal flaps that hold the filter in place, so the filter shouldn't pop off.

I think I will order the green filter next.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

If you have a hose clamp connecting your filter like you should it won't bump off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just took the lid off. It sounds awesome with my exhaust! Too bad it's letting in hot air. I'm in Kansas City right now; 91 degrees, but the throttle response feels better with the lid off!

The bottom of the box has metal flaps that hold the filter in place, so the filter shouldn't pop off.

I think I will order the green filter next.
Awesome man! Not sure what you're talking about with the metal flaps? None on my Focus. When my resonator was off the car felt like it pulled a little harder. Perhaps despite the warmer air, the added airflow more than makes up the difference?

If you have a hose clamp connecting your filter like you should it won't bump off.
Hey brother!

No hose clamp on mine. Do the factory airbox set ups have a hoe clamp?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
They don't, you don't need one in the factory set up because the box holds the filter in place on both ends. I put a hose clamp on mine when I took my entire airbox off to run it like a ram intake. Shouldn't have any issues with the lid off either because the box still supports it and holds it in place.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts