Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang.

My ingenious self filled the airbox resonator with Great Stuff. My idea was to gain a little more intake noise and reduce airbox turbulence. Chalupa Jones asked me if I used a high heat foam. I checked the can (after the fact, of course) and it says not to use around anything higher than 240 degrees. Unsure of exactly how warm the engine bay can get, I removed my now Great Stuff filled airbox resonator.

My problem: Now at 3,100 RPM I get a hugely loud and headache inducing drone.

What I need: Is a solution. I'm unsure of exactly what I can use in the engine bay because of the heat. In the mean time I'm going to attempt to remove the Great Stuff from the airbox resonator and re-install that.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ahaha I literally removed the bottom resonator myself this weekend. My drone appears at 2000 but it's tolerable.

I liked the drone initially, but I ended up plugging it up with duct tape. Though I'm going to see if I can find something like this that will fit in the hole instead

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161049463756&alt=web

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toaster, I don't know how you find that drone tolerable. Mine hits me at 3,100 and under load it's absolutely horrible.

I think I have it fixed for now but I still want to buy a replacement airbox resonator. I appreciate the tip CFHGARZA but I'm E-bay stupid. Would anybody happen to have a part number for Ford? I may see about ordering one from them, if they sell them separate.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The resonator should be sold separately - when I replaced my air box (screw threads stripped out by previous owner) it came from the dealer as a unit (bottom, lid, and filter) without the resonator.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
Plug the hole until you can pull a used one at the junk yard.

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
would anybody happen to have a part number for ford? I may see about ordering one from them, if they sell them separate.
bv6z-9b659-a

There's one as low as $22 on ebay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting, I removed the air box resonator and covered the bottom hole about 3 weeks ago and I don't hear any added sound or drone!?

However, at the same time I completely covered the outside of the air box with Thermo-Tec self adhesive heat control mat. I wanted to reduce summertime heat soak in the box from stop and go driving around town. It does slow down the air box heat soak and I think it makes the snorkel deleted and resonator deleted air box quieter.

FYI - I have an AEM Dryflow filter in it and the Ford Racing cold air snorkel attached to the front.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting, I removed the air box resonator and covered the bottom hole about 3 weeks ago and I don't hear any added sound or drone!?

However, at the same time I completely covered the outside of the air box with Thermo-Tec self adhesive heat control mat.
If you leave that hole open, it is VERY loud. It sounds amazing though. I absolutely loved the sound. However, under load at 3,100 RPM it was unbearable. Living in hilly WVA the car is under load all of the time.

BTW, where do you get this tape you're talking about?

To everyone else, thanks for the help. I have it fixed in the mean time and I have a buddy ordering me that airbox resonator from Ebay for a permanent fix. I plan on buying the whole intake assembly off of our buddy Chalupa Jones. Then I can have some fun with the airbox lid and a dremmel. I already desperately miss the sound of having that hole in the bottom of the airbox. The car sounded amazing.

I have to keep reminding myself though.. this is the wifey's car.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for making this thread AC!

Now that my exhaust is louder, I want to pick-up the intake volume/gurgle/growl thingy without using hot air to do it.

Questions:

1) can the resonator be easily reinstalled if I don't like the sound?
2) if I leave the hole exposed, will it be pulling in cold-ish air sense it's well away from the motor?
3) if I plug the hole, would the sound be too faint?
4) should I just get an open-ended filter instead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took out the resonator on mine and paired with a green filter, (airbox lid kept on) it actually doesn't drone too much, I think it sounds fairly nice. On the highway, if I don't hot rod around, the sound almost goes away completely. Initially I had the lid off of my airbox and almost didn't notice a change in sound after taking the resonator out.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Now that my exhaust is louder, I want to pick-up the intake volume/gurgle/growl thingy without using hot air to do it.

Questions:

2) if I leave the hole exposed, will it be pulling in cold-ish air sense it's well away from the motor?

Thanks!
Yeah, its honestly held in with a bolt. Just put it back and bolt it back on.

I think it will pull in warmish air from the engine.

With the lower resonator off, it made a really low loud drone at about 2.5 / 3k rpm.
I plugged it, and its a tad bit lower that with it on, and theres none of that 2.5 / 3k drone.

I haven't tried a open end filter

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Questions:

Thanks!
The resonator can be easily re-installed. Although I myself find trying to work the bottom of the airbox out of it's home a huge pain. I broke off one bolt housing I didn't see and nearly ripped apart some wiring. However, I do have a way with destruction.

I plugged the hole and it sounds like normal now. [?|]

By the way, I know everyone talks about how it will suck in hot air, and I'm sure it does.. but honestly according to my butt dyno (which can be a big fat liar sometimes) I noticed no decrease in performance, off the line or not.

If you do go with an open ended filter, get one that you can cap if you want to.

I wish there was a happy medium. I wonder if taking the airbox lid off would give me the same sound I had before? I need to try that. I'm going to wait until I know for sure it isn't going to rain. I don't want to risk getting my filter wet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The company is Thermo-Tec. I bought these 'Cool it' squares off their website. If I remember right they are located in Michigan.

I have done some DYI testing and it does slow down the temperature rise by several minutes in stop and go driving.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ lid off or on you're at no risk of that unless you drive into a lake.
I'll be taking off my airbox lid Friday and give it a good test. I wonder how the sound will stack up to the AB resonator delete?

The company is Thermo-Tec. I bought these 'Cool it' squares off their website. If I remember right they are located in Michigan.

I have done some DYI testing and it does slow down the temperature rise by several minutes in stop and go driving.
Thanks brother, I'll be ordering some.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll be taking off my airbox lid Friday and give it a good test. I wonder how the sound will stack up to the AB resonator delete?

Thanks brother, I'll be ordering some.
I want to know how it stacks-up too!

Too bad I'm 8 hours away from my Focus right now lol

Hearing you talk about how amazing the sound was with the hole open really makes me want to give it a try. Let me know if it is quieter than having the top lid off. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to know how it stacks-up too!

Too bad I'm 8 hours away from my Focus right now lol

Hearing you talk about how amazing the sound was with the hole open really makes me want to give it a try. Let me know if it is quieter than having the top lid off. Thanks a bunch!
TiR, it sounded absolutely amazing. It really did sound like a beast. Even my wife was impressed. I'm missing it terribly.

Anyway I'll let you know how it stacks up to it. At the very least it has to sound better than it does now!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts