Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fanatics-

I replaced the electric steering rack on my daughters 2012 SE with a used part from LKQ trying to get her back on the road. It worked for about 10 minutes and now the car is back displaying the Failed Steering message and not providing steering assist. Done anyone have a similar experience that they can share what they did to sort the problem?

Prior to changing the steering rack I had the dealer diagnose the car and they reported that their tech "checked IDS for DTC codes and found code U300:49 -EPAS internal failure. Tech ran DTC pinpoint test. Test result verified steering gear motor is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced".

While it is entirely possible I removed a dead rack and installed a dying rack it is also possible that the dealer misdiagnosed the problem in which case I may have removed a working rack and installed a working rack! Is there there is anything else I should check on the car or with the power supply wiring?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Hi Fanatics-

I replaced the electric steering rack on my daughters 2012 SE with a used part from LKQ trying to get her back on the road. It worked for about 10 minutes and now the car is back displaying the Failed Steering message and not providing steering assist. Done anyone have a similar experience that they can share what they did to sort the problem?

Prior to changing the steering rack I had the dealer diagnose the car and they reported that their tech "checked IDS for DTC codes and found code U300:49 -EPAS internal failure. Tech ran DTC pinpoint test. Test result verified steering gear motor is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced".

While it is entirely possible I removed a dead rack and installed a dying rack it is also possible that the dealer misdiagnosed the problem in which case I may have removed a working rack and installed a working rack! Is there there is anything else I should check on the car or with the power supply wiring?

Thanks in advance!
Its possible, also chk the main fuse on the battery bus

owner: Rebel Devil Customs
Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Shade. I checked what appears to be a fusable link connecting the EPAS wiring to the battery. It showed 12 volt but that was a static test, essentially low current continuity. I have the battery box out now and am cleaning the ground connection but I won't have it back together till later to see if it has any effect. I'll post again after I give the car a test run.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Thanks for the reply Shade. I checked what appears to be a fusable link connecting the EPAS wiring to the battery. It showed 12 volt but that was a static test, essentially low current continuity. I have the battery box out now and am cleaning the ground connection but I won't have it back together till later to see if it has any effect. I'll post again after I give the car a test run.
Yea the grounds under the battery box have has some issues, also make sure main plug is connected fully, and main power terminal clean

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was under the impression that the replacement rack needs to be programmed after it goes into a new car. I'm not an expert, so someone who knows more would have to back me up. I swear I saw something about that in another thread. Basically, the person replaced the rack, but it still didn't work until they took it to a dealer and had them program it.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Never had to reprogram any racks installed in my shop

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well sorry to report no good news. I cleaned and dielectric greased the power and ground connections to the large power supply wires. I checked for loose connections on all the other plug connectors for the signal wires and the system still does not work.

I guess I will have to crawl back under the car this weekend and remove the rack for a warranty replacement and see if a third rack is the charm!

Thanks for the reply's and I will post an update as I make further progress.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Never had to reprogram any racks installed in my shop

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T
The local Pepboys told me the same thing.....while I was programming the steering rack they had just installed.

I have yet to have to program a rack, and installed a reman on without program. But there is a first time for everything

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T
You've been getting lucky....plain and simple. The power steering control module is in fact a programmable module.

Thanks for the clarification! Some places like https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/electric-power-steering-rack-by-wendy-d seem to think it needs programmed, but you would def know.
They seem to think that, because the power steering control module is supposed to be programmed during installation. The power steering control module is built onto the steering rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I did swap out the malfunctioning used steering rack from LKQ with another one as they do guarantee the parts for six months (I think) and the replacement rack is working well so far.

It has not shown any fail codes nor have I had it reprogrammed at the dealer. My local dealer who did the original diagnosis had warned me that I would need to have the replacement rack programmed to my vehicle. He said that warning messages would come up on the in car display but nothing has appeared yet (after three days and six trips).

Overall the job is not that hard to do, it took about three hours getting the old rack out and reinstalling the replacement. The car will have to have the front end aligned soon but it drives as well as it ever did right now.

Thanks again for the comments, help and encouragement!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts