Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the MBRP exhaust last night [:)]

but it's going to take about 2 weeks to get to me [:(] because they said its in production right now and that take 7-10 days then another 3 days or so to deliver.

I was originally thinking about the focus sport ceramic coated stealth exhaust, but the MBRP was 200 bills cheaper and it's stainless steel. Also on the FJ exhuast shoot-out write up, the FS was less than 1 HP better as far as performance goes than the MBRP and only slightly quieter. So i will keep you updated about when it arrives and how the install goes and all that jazz. I don't own a digital camera but my 2 "garage buddies" do so maybe they can take some pics of the whole thing doing down.

Also, my other reason for wanting to pay less is that i will now have $200 i can put towards the SCT reflasher. I'm not sure how to rationalize the idea that if i save money on something i must immediately spend it on something else but that's ok. Speaking of the SCT, i was thinking about getting it from focus sport, anyone have comments or suggestions or anything, please post.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
MBRP is a great exhaust, I love it and you can't beat that price......

Congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I to have the MBRP exhaust and think it is fine. I do howeverget a very bassy harmonic at 1800-2000rpms and 2800-3000rpms. It was anoying at first but I have learned to deal with it. as well I've noticed that after about 20 hours or so of total drive time the ECU seems to have changed something and the car is revving through the gears just a little smoother then it was when I first put on the exhaust.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I just ordered mine as well!!!!

I cannot wait!!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
There are 3 ways to install it:
Straight from the box: Great bottom end, loud.
Primary pipe cut to use 2nd cat and not resonator: A little quieter and emissions friendly!
Primary pipe cut and welded to relocate resonator after 2nd cat: Much quieter (but NOT stealthy!). Emissions (and close neighbor) friendly.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You're going to love the MBRP! Definately is worth the wait for it.

Small hint.. have a sawzall at the ready, you're going to have to make a cut right after the stock muffler to remove all the stock plumbing. (Its all one piece)

·
Registered
107 Posts
gitar111,

I just finished installing the MBRP 2 1/4 inch cat back exhaust on my 2005 wagon. Fits PERFECTLY
The longest part of the install was removing the stock, ONE piece system, as it must be cut off just forward of the rear axle. Use a reciprocating saw of some kind with a long blade; don't even think of doing it with a hack saw - well at least this year. Did it in my garage, put the car on 4 jack stands, fairly high, and had enough clearance to perform the install. Took me about 3 hours, including rotating the tires since I had it on the jack stands.
I ordered directly from MBRP.

As Fredness said:
There are 3 ways to install it:
Straight from the box: Great bottom end, loud.

I agree quite loud INSIDE. Now, mine is a wagon, and I think the wagon back end inside acts like a big echo box. Outside not bad. I am, however looking to have a small muffler, resonator, installed in the tail pipe section where the stock muffler/resonator was installed. There is more than ample room on the wagon from behind the axle to the chrome outlet tip.

Later,

·
Registered
930 Posts
I thought it was rather quiet (isn't now with the header..lol), but I was coming from a headers->xpipe->flowmaster 40 series LT1 corvette that would give you headaches at cruising speed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ruckmn & fredness,

thanks for the input, i cant wait to get this. My buddy has a dremel and he was thinking we'd put some kinda saw on the dremel and just go to town on the stock piping with that.

But could you explain the 3 different ways to install a little more in detail, i don't want to sacrifice performance, but i also would prefer a little bit quieter a system, that's why i was originally considdering the FS stealth system.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
lol im sorry but yes a dremal doe shave a cuting wheel but that will still take a long damn time u might as well use a hacksaw. i did didnt take that long about 1 hr for the total install. but im also a mechanic so it was like everyday work for me. ive had mine for like 2 plus years and i love it. its great, how do u like your eibachs on the cone course? i think im gonna go sportlines

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cruzzzz:
The eibachs on the track are awesome, though i have only autocrossed once since i put them on. When i installed them i did the backs on a thursday night, and the fronts on a friday night (before i hit the bar). And then i raced on that saturday. That particular race, was more of a high HP car course, cause it started with a long staightaway, and didn't have all that many turns, so i didn't do as well i would have if it was all curvy. But the eibachs held up nicely on the curves, i could definately take corners with a little more speed. Now i just need to get a few more horsies in my car and some better rubber on the ground.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You will see once you pull your system out, and lay the flange ends side-by-side. If you do version 2, swap resonator for cat, you can do it without welding and no extra parts are needed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahhhh, i hate waiting....

1 more week to go, approximately

·
Registered
107 Posts
gitar111,
As I mentioned above, I was looking to have installed a rear muffler/resonator in the tail pipe section to reduce the inside noise. This was done, and it is sweeeeet inside, and still has a nice deep MBRP sound.
See Picture (I hope).
The muffler is 16 inches long, and he built a bracket to use the stock rear mount. The MBRP does not use the rear mount, rather uses a supplied mount bolted into the tie down bracket.

Later

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Nice Ruck.. is that a SS resonator.. and if so where did you get it?

You installed your system all the way up to the exhaust manifold as supplied- right? I thought a glasspack there would make it sound nice, but haven't had time off to do diddly. I was also a bit upset about using the tow hook to mount the tailpipe, and I knew I'd have to change that some day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot, (copy and paste again [:D] )

Yes, I installed it as you said, right out of the box, from the exhaust flange ahead of the 2nd Cat. Am I reading you correctly; you have not installed your system yet?

It is so simple, with the hardest part removing the stock one piece system as has been discussed earlier. If you want to use the rear stock mount, after you install the system, just go to a muffler shop and have them weld on a hook, like you see welded onto the muffler I had installed. Just have the shop weld it onto the pipe and reach the stock hanger - they know what to do.

I have NO idea what the muffler was that he installed. It is pretty much straight through with some baffling inside. He went over to his shelf of mufflers, pulled this one out, stuck it into the tail pipe extension, and asked is this quiet enough. I said yes, so he cut the tail pipe section out and welded the muffler in. I think this is just some generic glass pack muffler.

Later.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Thanks.. no you weren't reading correctly, I installed mine around the same time as you installed yours. I've been considering things like a Flowmaster 50 Delta2 back there since ALL the mufflers in the MBRP are basically glasspacks. The big one is just an oversized glasspack if you cared to look inside it. There's nothing wrong with that, the big chamber glasspack sounds good, just a little too loud for me [paranoid] <--(looks for cops). I might even go the semi- green way and install two SS cats after the flange, and flip the resonator to see what that sounds like.

Then it's back to deciding if I should go turbo or go D23 NA [dunno]

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
I've been thinking about this exhaust like a fat kid thinks about cake!!! I've been going back forth about selling my Cossie TB and buying this thing. I miss my fart can exhaust on my old car [:(].

Should I sell the TB and buy it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i hate MBRP, they told me it would take 2 weeks, and it's been 11 days!!!!
They should know that 2 weeks is too long to make me wait, crazy canadians.
I do have a strange feeling that i will love them once it gets here though

1 - 20 of 46 Posts