Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I bought a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 hatch last year as my first car.

Now that summer is in full force here in Florida, I've been using my AC alot. However, I noticed the AC isn't blowing as cold or as powerful anymore. Even at 3am when I get off work, I have to blast the AC at full blast just to feel any effect. If I turn the fan knob to 1 with the AC button on, it's just luke-warm air coming out. When I turn the knob to 4, it feels cooler but it's not as cold as it should be.

So, I need to take my car to get the AC fixed. I have some questions:
1) What exactly is wrong with the car's AC?
2) Is it something I can do at home by myself (this is my first car) or should I leave it in the hands of professionals?
3) If I have to take it somewhere, what would be a good place? Would Sears do this or a specialized AC place, etc? What are some suggestions from users here?
4) How much can I expect this to cost? I just paid off $700 on my credit card (will be paying off another $350 tomorrow) so I should have about $1000 to cover any expenses, but I don't want it to cost more than I should.

So, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
should not cost that much just needs a recharge.
First thay will vac. out the old stuff check for leaks then recharge.
I have never seen this cost more than $150. you can get this done at any fast Lube oil change

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should not cost that much just needs a recharge.
First thay will vac. out the old stuff check for leaks then recharge.
I have never seen this cost more than $150. you can get this done at any fast Lube oil change
I'm having trouble finding a place here in the Tampa Bay area that does that.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
find a normal repair shop... and also you obviously have a leak in the system somewhere. Probably a slow leak if it worked well for awhile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you can do it yourself for less than 40 dollars. just get a can of r134a at your local walmart. some versions come with leak sealer and the connection hose. I'd advise buying that one. next step all you have to do is plug it into the little nozzle inside the front passenger wheel and empty the can. actually it cost me 23.00 plus a 10 dollar deposit that i got back once i returned the can. the entire thing took me 10 minutes once i figured out where to plug the nozzle. it now blows ice cold. here is a helpful video if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB47ZNIlYOg

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a similar problem. My A/C works fine in terms of how cool it is, but the fan blows weaker then it used to, and on fan setting 4 the A/C shuts off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on the situation: I took my car to an auto-repair place today and they said they found nothing wrong with the AC. They showed me the numbers with the AC and my AC was blowing out at 34 degrees F. However, they said my car is a dark car (it's a dark red color) with a black interior and the windows are not tinted. Add in the fact it's 95f here in Florida with 90% humidity and that's why it feels like my AC doesn't work is because when I open my car, it's heated above 130f.

So yeah, I just need to buy some windshield reflectors and/or tint my windows and I should be set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts