Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup FF? Let's get to the point.

First off I have a 2006 SE Sedan with a 2.0 Duratec engine - no mods unless you count the fused 4AWG wire to my sub amplifier.
Just earlier today, my serpentine belt came loose. The culprit is the pulley just below the alternator (I believe that is the tensioner, this is what my local Ford dealer said). It is a plastic pulley with the grooves to work on the grooved side of the belt. At one point on the interstate, the battery light, shortly followed by the engine light, turns on. When I pulled over and did the inspection, the pulley looked as though it seized on the metal inside, but since the belt was still running, it spun the plastic outside creating enough friction to melt the whole piece.
This is where I need you, guys. The Ford service center a mile away from my car's stopping point asks for $306 for the repair. That's $132 for the tensioner and the belt, $10 tax, and $164 for labor. Should I go with what they say, or are these prices way off? I only ask this because I see the whole thing as a broken pulley: just replace the pulley and good to go. ....or am I really missing something here?
Please let me know your facts or opinions please. I need to decide if I am to authorize them to order the parts and start by 3:00PM EST tomorrow.

Thank you to all who have read this.
Justin

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I say fix it yourself, not that hard to do.

Looks like a new belt is about $40 and the tensioner assy is $43 from O'reilly. Not sure of how to do the dura tensoiner but I can change the zetec in about 15 minutes total.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, I must be an idiot... the pulley that went out cannot possibly be the tensioner for it forms close to a right angle on the belt. On that then, does anyone know what that pulley (one below the alternator) is called?

-I want a haynes for my model year to come out already-

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Does this help?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^
Yes it does. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts