Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I started fiberglassing my rear panels (the whole panel). Now the technique I was going with was sanding down the panels, then laying out fiberglass matting (cutting to fit) and then ppaint resin over the matting.
well I did that and as I started sanding it was like the fiberglass just started to peel. Now I sanded teh hell out of the panel so its not like it was peeling because it was a smooth surface. what advice would someone give so that I can continue to fiberglass my panels

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
was it completly dry and was the resin mixed properly the main too reasons for peeling that I had.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
also don't put it on too thick at a time

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
who told you that the surface is supposed to be smoothe?

Fiberglass needs a coarse surface for proper bonding. Sand down with 150 grit, or drill some holes on the outside perimeter, or area's in question that need bonding.

Or better yet Use 3M Spray adhesive, and cover the panel with speaker box carpet or fleece. Soak with resin, and lay down the mat.

·
Registered
286 Posts
yeah fiberglass resin will stick to most anything, but the tackier the better, no need to sand, just CLEAN the hell out of it. My guess is you didn't put in enough catalyst, or you had some big air bubbles.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
who told you that the surface is supposed to be smoothe?

Fiberglass needs a coarse surface for proper bonding. Sand down with 150 grit, or drill some holes on the outside perimeter, or area's in question that need bonding.

Or better yet Use 3M Spray adhesive, and cover the panel with speaker box carpet or fleece. Soak with resin, and lay down the mat.
Drilling holes?? wow thats a brilliant idea! Seriously i never thought of that. My guage pod i molded on is started to crack away and ill need to redo it soon and i never thought of that.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
yes I hadn't though of that either good idea

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have read everyones reply to fiberglassing plastic panels. i've hd experience in fiberglassing. I am self taught but i know a fair bit. I also got into gelcoating which has been a BIG help in fiberglassing. You should look into it. However about ur plastic roblem, it will not stick to plastic. If you sand it wont for sure... if you dont sand it will stick better however in heat changing conditions it will crack b/c it will never "really" bond with the plastic. You need to drill holes in equal distances down the panel. Then glass on both sides... so that the back glass hold the front glass together... therefor it is sticking to itself not the plastic... personaly when i fiberglass any car's interior i mask off the obect and glass it... then remove it and finsih it up...after it is all done... i use double sided tape to hold it together. i have done door panels, pillars, and rear speaker decks this way. Any other questions just ask. and i'll tell how i do it.. however the other guys are on track and ahve good ideas...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts