Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. As many of you know I have a procharger on my SVTF. Here is the deal I went to check on my spark plugs today just preventitive maintenence and I was wondering. First off I have the Motorcraft Copper AZ whatevers with 8lbs of boost on the Procharger. I was looking at them today and all of them except one were gapped to about .40-.45, this seems a little high. So I call my local speed shop and ask them and they say it shouldnt be gapped any higher than 33 or so. I did this and it seems to have lost some power. So here is my question what is the optimal gap for these plugs with this SC setup??? Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really its been so long since i have really messed with the spark plugs i dont remember what was reccommended at the time.......................anyone else?

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol come on folks the car is sitting out there with the spark plugs out of it again lol

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
Piranha_SC said:
Hello everyone. As many of you know I have a procharger on my SVTF. Here is the deal I went to check on my spark plugs today just preventitive maintenence and I was wondering. First off I have the Motorcraft Copper AZ whatevers with 8lbs of boost on the Procharger. I was looking at them today and all of them except one were gapped to about .40-.45, this seems a little high. So I call my local speed shop and ask them and they say it shouldnt be gapped any higher than 33 or so. I did this and it seems to have lost some power. So here is my question what is the optimal gap for these plugs with this SC setup??? Thanks for all the help in advance.
First i would stay away from that speed shop, 8psi should be able to go to .050 to .055 , you want to do as much spark gap as you can with out a misfire , the more gap you can run the larger the spark kournal it will form , the larger the kernal the more efficient the fuel and air burn for better combustion

.045 is a good place to start then work you way up to no more than .060 MAKE SURE you use antiseas on your plugs

Tom

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks tom because i thought i had gapped to thin because it didnt have the power it did at first

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Tom, with boost would it be worth him "radiusing " the end of the electrode ?? I mean rounding the end off even with the center electrode?? Am I making sense, I know we did it with two-strokes and it made a difference...I will bow to your experience with boost however... Good idea or no ??

Also, I completely agree, as big as it will jump without a misfire!!

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
The most power with a plug we have found is cutting back the wire till it is at the center of the electrode , just cutting them back flat showed the same gains as pointed or rounding them

The is how the "AR" (Autolite Racing ) autolites now come

Tom

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Cool, good to know... It amazes me how many spark plug designs are out there. I am sure all have some merit... Ever seen the surface discharge ones from the sixties on two-strokes with capacitor ignitions?? Wierd and nasty, but they work.....sorry Off topic..

Thanks again Tom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts