Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Haterz gonna Hate
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I was told by a mechanic at the local Ford dealership that the purpose of a Cam gear cover on a zetec motor is to keep the timing belt from "walking off"....

can anyone help me find "Ford certified" or something along that lines of documentation that i can prove it does in fact NOT serve that purpose... but it does serve a purpose to keep water and other debris from getting in the timing belt area??

The reason why i ask is because when they installed the new timing belt and pulleys on my focus... it was about a 1/4 inch off the original belt line (you can see the shiny part) i paid no attention to it.. a trip to myrtle and halfway back 1/4 the belt was gone...It had rubbed against my motor mount...

I went into the dealership and talked to him and he told me it didn't have a Cam gear cover and that is what holds the timing belt in place LOL..

so i need some help they are gonna try to say its my fault...and its not

ps my stock timing belt had 125K miles without a cover

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Thats a bunch of BS, tell em' to shove up there @$$ and fix it right. It's just a cover nothing else. If did keep it on then wouldn't there be wear marks on the inside of everyone's t-belt cover? I had my belt walk a little bit, re-did the timing and all is well now no walking. Sounds like it wasn't tensioned right or maybe the pulleys were replaced, something is definitely wrong for it to move that much.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
So how would the cover hold the belt? Rub up against it at 5-6k rpm? How long before that belt rubbed a hole in your precious cover.

WRONG!!!!

I agree with Paul. It wasn't tensioned right.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I have done quite a few t-belts on the zetec. The crank pulley and the mid-cover are what keeps it from coming off. Now they can walk a little bit but should straiten up after a little bit. If it's still walking off and as much as you say then something wasn't done right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts