Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal i have an 03 zx3 focus thats automatic and i am craving a manual SOOOOOO BAD! i do not have money for a manual swap and my dad does not wanna do it and i sure as hell cant do it myself. So are there any shift kits i can put in? or anyway i can make it tiptronic and be able to shift without harming the transmission?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
tune will firm up shifts.

other then that valve body. once you get into TC's ect your dropping the trans in which case a manual swap would be just as easy and probably cheaper.

a tune and valve body will cost probably around the same as a 5speed swap.

only other thing you could do is sell your car and buy a 5 speed one.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Trust me, I know how you feel. My first focus was an automatic.
Now I have an SVT and its a whole different beast.
Want my honest opinion...............
Sell your automatic focus and buy one that has a manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
A tune and valve body is way cheaper than a 5 speed swap....
that why i said once you do that and go to put a tc in. tune and valve body is probably around $800, manual swap can be done for that but will more likely run you around a grand.

i know because i did it.
bought 2 5 speed trans
all the other parts.
new shift cables
new clutch line
new bushings in the shifter base
CFM STS
Sparco grip pedals
Centerforce aluminum flywheel
Spec stage 3 clutch kit
fluid and new seals
toms tune

total cost was around 1300-1400, so not getting all the after-market stuff and 1 trans would have run me around 600. all used parts probably 400ish. if your paying a shop to do it add a grand in labour.

what are your goals with your car? if it involves power over bolt ons. your pulling the trans no matter what and spending big $$.

best bet sell the auto get a 5 speed. or see if a dealer will take your car on trade for a 5 speed on the lot. from a selling point its easier to sell an auto the a manual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just kinda work on it as a hobby, i did the short ram intake, headers, lunch box delete(just for sound) and i just want a manual for the fun of it im so bored with automatic

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bro if you work on it "just as a hobby" then you dont want to go through all that money and trouble on a car with simply bolt ons. Shifting in an auto is still different than shfiting in a manual, even with an upgraded TC, tune, valve body, and etc.

But i couldnt find any. Interesting though, i wonder how well they hold up

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did my 5speed swap for under 500 if you watch craigslist or go talk to your local junk yards you can find a good deal you just need to save up 500 and hold tell you find the right deal. The swap is easy it's the time and the unknown that is scary definitely have a backup plan for transportation for a week or two and don't forget to grab the crank position sensor mount when you get the tranny it's like 15 bucks from ford if I remember right but one heck of a headach if you forget it. Junk yard the parts one at a time if you have to it's worth it in the end.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
do the swap!!! i was scared when my SPI blew but i maned up and said im gonna swap this car whatever it takes. i did it and it runs flawlessly....

btw i was just like you before the swap.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Will any year zetec mtx work with a different year zx3?
Meaning will a 2000 Focus transmission swap right into a 2002 zx3?
I am really considering finding a wrecked doner Car and doing the swap.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts