Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i am currently on the hunt for new wheels, for purchase sometime early next year. i am looking for euro mesh stye wheels. im also looking for only silver or i can go with any type of grey, just not black and im wanting the wheel to have a lip.

the setup im looking at doing is(im still undecided on tires):
Front
17x7 w/205/45/17
or
17x7.5 w/ 205/45/17
Rear
17x8 w/215/45/17

the most i wanna pay for wheels is about $1500

if i cant find any wheels in time for the need for new tires(reason why for new wheels), im going to get these wheels:
http://www.xxrwheels.com/sportmax_006.shtml

does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

here is my car currently:

coilovers are going to be purchased around the same time.

EDIT(11/30/08 10:38): no need for posting useless crap of concerns i already know, i just need help looking for wheels with our bolt pattern.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I believe the O.Z. Ultraleggera's can be had with a staggerd fitment and would look great. Nice looking car btw [thumb]

·
Illest.... <3
3,572 Posts
OMG your car is going to be so hawt with different wheels, I have always loved your car but disliked y our wheels. Yeah go with the bbs type. Hawt

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments.

i guess i can look into get ultraleggeras or just any oz. but ill see how about mesh style first.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm not going to bother you about why you'd want staggered wheels. You said it's for the look and if you get some pic's afterward we'll see. I do like the euro thing so far. Are you putting the same size tires on staggered wheels? What size(s) were you looking at?

·
Registered
244 Posts
hey there is a guy on fj who is selling a set of td 17x7 in the front adn 17x8 in the rear and they are black and look sexy as heck!!! and i belive he is selling wheels and tires for 1200 bucks? go check him out.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not going to bother you about why you'd want staggered wheels. You said it's for the look and if you get some pic's afterward we'll see. I do like the euro thing so far. Are you putting the same size tires on staggered wheels? What size(s) were you looking at?
no, not all the same size. but im still researching.
hey there is a guy on fj who is selling a set of td 17x7 in the front adn 17x8 in the rear and they are black and look sexy as heck!!! and i belive he is selling wheels and tires for 1200 bucks? go check him out.
ive seen the wheels. they are team dynamics, but they are also a dark color, in which in trying to stay away from. im looking for more of a silver. thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Understeer Warning!
I won't lecture but I couldn't hold my tongue (fingers)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understeer Warning!
I won't lecture but I couldn't hold my tongue (fingers)
you sir, have no idea what im going for! i dont think you understand the concept of having staggered wheels! its definitely not for performance purposes! so who gives a FU©K about understeer! its not like im taking sharp turns to lose control in the front!

i find your post very unsupporting and unneeded.

the reason for having the different size tires, is for the stretch. not for traction. and these will not be my all day everyday wheels, i will still have the wheels i have now.

now this is what im going for:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/mbakalski/wheel thread/w134839108.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/mbakalski/wheel thread/w134839113.jpg

with this setup why the FU©K would i care if im understeering, its not like im autocrossing!

im pretty sure EVERYONE that reads your post will find you as a disappointment in trying to help a fellow focus fanatic.

you sir, now have a negative rep

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Y give him a negative rep? No reason to fly off base when he's just trying to give you advice. How was he supposed to know you are only using these for shows. Jeez lighten up

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he doesnt have to know if they are for show. im pretty sure for a person knowing what they are looking for(also know the concerns) but is having a hard time finding wheels to achieve the look.

it all has to do with our stoopid 4x108. and trying to find wheels within a price range without special ordering them with our bolt pattern is hard. i was just wondering if anyone knew of a set of wheels that would fit. i dont need any criticism for what i want. i just hate it when people bash on other people's threads that are unwanted post, for useless information crap i already know. i asked for info on wheels not concerns.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I hear you and understand, just trying to stick up for the guy.

As for advice, I still think a five lug swap will be your best bet, you just are not going to get nice quality wheel for the unique stance you are going for with 4x108. It was hard for me to find a somewhat Euro choice without even looking for a staggered fit. With a five lug, you'll have a TON more options.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah it seems like that is going to be my last resort into finding a large selection of wheels lol

i might just have to save up a little more to go for wheels that are around $2000.

and the way 1-st replied was said in a meanful way, which is unneeded.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I hear ya. Good luck on the wheels though sounds like you have a solid plan and its refreshing to still see some clean Euro Foci being built up

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
yeah it seems like that is going to be my last resort into finding a large selection of wheels lol

i might just have to save up a little more to go for wheels that are around $2000.

and the way 1-st replied was said in a meanful way, which is unneeded.
I don't think it was "meanful" at all. It was stated as a possible negative side affect as a result of what you were doing. Most people are appreciative when they are warned about the possibility of bad things, especially when the results could make the car handle worse.

Just a recommendation, you should do some studying and understand the differences between oversteer and understeer. Your replies indicate that you do not fully understand what they are. Autocrossers do NOT want understeer. It makes a car plow in turns...its sloooow. A car that borderline oversteers (a looser more toss-able, but controllable, rear end) is preferred. It's always puzzles me why people will "knowingly" make a car handle worse for subjective appearance improvements.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think it was "meanful" at all. It was stated as a possible negative side affect as a result of what you were doing. Most people are appreciative when they are warned about the possibility of bad things, especially when the results could make the car handle worse.

Just a recommendation, you should do some studying and understand the differences between oversteer and understeer. Your replies indicate that you do not fully understand what they are. Autocrossers do NOT want understeer. It makes a car plow in turns...its sloooow. A car that borderline oversteers (a looser more toss-able, but controllable, rear end) is preferred. It's always puzzles me why people will "knowingly" make a car handle worse for subjective appearance improvements.
i understand understeer and oversteer. understeering is 'not' a concern for me. "Autocrossers do NOT want understeer." i have already stated that i will NOT be autocrossing. it would be stupid to autocross with stretch and poke wheels. and for me getting this setup, i was never intending to autocross. now if i wanted to autocross i would be getting 225' or 235's wide tires.

now lets get off the subject of understeering lets talk wheels!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
i understand understeer and oversteer. understeering is a concern for me. "Autocrossers do NOT want understeer." i have already stated that i will NOT be autocrossing. it would be stupid to autocross with stretch and poke wheels. and for me getting this setup, i was never intending to autocross. now if i wanted to autocross i would be getting 225' or 235's wide tires.

now lets get off the subject of understeering lets talk wheels!

If understeer is a concern why do you want to make it worse? Excessive understeer has a negative impact for a street driven machine as well, not just a car used for autocross purposes. It is not a desired trait for any kind of driving (exceptions for old ladies with Buicks) and is easily correctable. All we're trying to point out is that you are making it worse and your car will handle worse wherever you choose to drive it. Is this what you really want? If you're dead set on making a relatively good handling car handle worse then heck, go for it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If understeer is a concern why do you want to make it worse? Excessive understeer has a negative impact for a street driven machine as well, not just a car used for autocross purposes. It is not a desired trait for any kind of driving (exceptions for old ladies with Buicks) and is easily correctable. All we're trying to point out is that you are making it worse and your car will handle worse wherever you choose to drive it. Is this what you really want? If you're dead set on making a relatively good handling car handle worse then heck, go for it.
opps lol i ment "understeering is 'NOT' a concern for me."

1 - 20 of 43 Posts