Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my clutch is starting to go out in my 2003 SVT and I've been shopping around for a new one. I've heard LuK makes a good clutch for SVTs but I'd like to hear any other suggestion any of you have. Also, where's a good place to have it installed and how much should I expect to pay? I would attempt it myself but this is just something that has to be done right and I don't want to mess anything up lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
The LUK clutch is supposed to be better than OEM. I installed it on my svt in 2006 and haven't had any problems with it. If I remember correctly the luk clutch cost around $400 on eBay and the cheapest install I could find for it was around $400. Most places bidded $500 and up. According to the ford service manual it's a 8 hour job. If you are planning to make your svt faster then there are other manufacturers who make clutches that can hold more HP.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Luk is who made the oem one for ford. As for recommendations you need to tell us how you like to drive. Do you want clutch petal to stay the same pressure. Are you planning any drastic upgrades. What is your hp range. Are you losing the dual mass. Lots of info needed. I've installed a stage 3 and a stage 1 both with aluminum flywheels on 2 different cars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Luk is who made the oem one for ford. As ford recommendations you need to tell us how you like to drive. To you want clutch petal to stay the same pressure. Are you planning any drastic upgrades. What is your hp range. Are you losing the dual mass. Lots of info needed. I've installed a stage 3 and a stage 1 both with aluminum flywheels on 2 different cars.
I didn't know that. Weren't the new LUK clutches better though? When I got my SVT it had 60,000 miles with the clutch just about gone. it wouldn't start moving until the clutch pedal was almost all the way out and couldn't go up a hill from a stop. I'm at 120,000 now and the clutch feels like it has a lot of meat on it and I zip around a lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing more than some bolt on and small mods here so no massive power gains. It is my daily driver but I love to get on it every now and then of course lol. I'm perfectly okay with a stage 1 clutch as long as it lasts. If you think maybe a stage 2 would last longer then I'm all for that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had the same issue when I purchased my 02 used. Research indicated the stock LUK would work unless you were racing or went forced induction. For the $ you can't beat the LUK kit w new flywheel, pp, disc, & throw out bearing. Did the job solo and it was a booger but so far it is holding up well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was in the same boat when I picked up my SVT… it had 61k on the clock, and I bought it a bit cheaper knowing it needed a clutch. By 64k the car was slipping in every gear and was in desperate need!! I contemplated the LUK setup, and ordered one cheap on Amazon… 368 I think was the price. I ended up changing my tune, as forced induction was in my future (PWSC), so I ended up going with a SPEC stage 3+ with a steel flywheel. I've been driving the car stock with the clutch, as the PWSC is going in next Spring, and I couldn't be happier with the clutch setup. It's a single mass, and it's a very stiff clutch, which I enjoy. The setup is good for 350+hp, so I'm good to go!

Good luck with the setup, and take into consideration everything said thus far…

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Nothing more than some bolt on and small mods here so no massive power gains. It is my daily driver but I love to get on it every now and then of course lol. I'm perfectly okay with a stage 1 clutch as long as it lasts. If you think maybe a stage 2 would last longer then I'm all for that
I just got done putting the LUK clutch in my silver SVT. Cost was $1,100.00. Based on your post I think the LUK is the way to go. Mine is not my daily driver, but I like the way it feels for normal driving and it feels great when I romp on it. [driving]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I paid 375 for a LUK, whether it was a flake or not I got it off of Amazon about two years ago. Granted I work at an auto repair shop, it took about 3 1/2 hours give or take with lunch, etc to do the whole job with my boss and I working on it. As far as pricing to pay at a shop I am not too sure, whatever labor times are and that shops hourly rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts