Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock 2001 SE sedan...

I want to put better light bulbs on my car for better night time visability. I see them at Auto stores but suspect the blue lights are just for looks...

advice please

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Silverstars. or silverstar ultra's

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
One day i shall follow in the footsteps of Sir Snacky and get projectors

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Unless you got the cash to properly fit projectors with HID, I'd just get some Silverstars. About 40 bucks. They're not blue, they are closer to white light instead of yellow that most halogens put out.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
No HIDs are xenon gas powered. They do not have a filament like halogens. And you'll need ballasts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unless you got the cash to properly fit projectors with HID, I'd just get some Silverstars. About 40 bucks. They're not blue, they are closer to white light instead of yellow that most halogens put out.
Nope, don't have the cash, but don't want the blue bulb either..just want something really bright

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
No HID's are gas and metal powered. They have a bit of metal to create what's needed when they are ignited to produce the light output and color.

If you don't have 40 to drop on silver stars...( he got a free set of fog silverstars from me lol)

Go with nokya they are a reputable brand and run like 23 a set or something. You can achive far greater then stock with them and are direct plug in.

Other wise your looking to spend a little money to get the greater performance. Trust me i have used ALOT of bulbs and styles of lighting.

Ask away. But what i have provide are the best cost efficent ways to do this.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Ok here is the thing.

it is VERY VERY hard to find a bulb that is halogen that will produce blue light. Alot of times its a bulb film that gives it a look. Very rarely is it the gas.

Nearly every bulb that looks like that or that style will produce a very bright white lightin front of you.....now looking INTO it you will see very subtle blue accents but the light produced is an intense white.

·
Registered
800 Posts
dont waste ur money on silver stars they burn out in like 1 month, and dont anyone argue with me iv gone through 5 sets of them and i used surgical latex gloves during the install

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok here is the thing.

it is VERY VERY hard to find a bulb that is halogen that will produce blue light. Alot of times its a bulb film that gives it a look. Very rarely is it the gas.

Nearly every bulb that looks like that or that style will produce a very bright white lightin front of you.....now looking INTO it you will see very subtle blue accents but the light produced is an intense white.

Okay the blue threw me off...I'll try a set of those and see how I like them, anyting has to be better than the 7 year old stock bulbs.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^Not exactly true. There are numerous reports of Sylvania bulb failures in just a few months....not worth it IMO.

I got a set of Wagner TrueView bulbs from O'Rileys (about $34)......they are a bright white (see the avatar) and come with a one year guarantee. They were so much better than stock, I was able to readjust my headlights slightly higher for better visibility.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I'm not going to argue, sir but I've never had any trouble with them which is why I continue to use them. Got them in my headlights and yes Snack gave me his for my fogs. Thanks again.

I have also heard of a certain Phillips bulb thats supposed to be pretty good, but I don't remember the name of it.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I am in the headlight market as well, so I will post in here....

For SVT - both headlamps and fogs:

What wattage is recommended for each on stock wiring?
(I dont want to wire in anything just want to replace the stockers with some Nokyans of proper wattage w/o frying wires)

Also sizes...I see H7s are the headlamp bulbs while the fogs are 9145 / H10 / 2005 with tab grinding?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts