Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved from MA to Arkansas. In MA I was getting around 25-30 MPG. The first tank we got in AR got 18 MPG and the second isn't looking any better. Arkansas is a lot higher above sea level than MA, so I guess that might have something to do with it. Also, there is a lot more ethanol in the gas out here than in MA. Anyone have any advice regarding what I can do and, most importantly, if I take it to the dealer, what to ask for and what to avoid.

Thanks

Joe (noob)

·
Registered
215 Posts
mmm i don't know if the dealer could help that much, i believe all engines perform differently in higher elevations. Maybe the cars ecu will learn this and make changes.

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
ethanol sucks! i dont see any advantages to it, and i try to avoid it whenever i can. reset your ecu (disconnect the negative cable for the battery for about 20 min) and your car should be able to relearn the new conditions of the area, and your fuel economy might return. its just a thought idk if it will work, but it couldnt hurt

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
check the MAF sensor and make sure its connected well. the IAT(intake air temperature) sensor is intergrated in it and when disconnected or messed up gas mileage gets horrible. i tried one of those ebay rip offs "get 10hp and 10mpg more on your car truck or minivan in 10 minutes!" its this little chip you splice into the 2nd and 4th wire on the MAF that fools it into using less fuel but it dont work lol. if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. learn from my mistakes people

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
When you reset the ECU, just let it idle for 5-10 minutes without touching the pedal... Hope that helps a bit, let us know....oh, and get lighter with that right foot!

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
^^ X2

Also, I've noticed as much as a 3 mpg difference between brands of gasoline, so test a couple of tanks with every station in your driving route, or within reasonable difference. Once you find a brand your car likes in it's new environment, if you have more than one station nearby of the same brand try those also. With independent gas stations making less money, there are some who can't afford to change out their tanks like they should so it is possible that some have dirty, or leaking tanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts