Focus Fanatics Forum banner

341 - 360 of 1332 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just brought mine home last night! Haven't really done a whole lot of driving, taking her to Sarasota this weekend though! Haven't decided on a name yet. ...Awesome car!
That is great to hear! Enjoy your new ride and [welcome]

·
Registered
83 Posts
2012 Focus SE Race Red

I'm not the only one that loves my new Focus - the birds love it too and keep leaving a mess on it from the over hanging Oak tree. Got the paint protection package and it seems to just rinse off so hope that will keep the paint nice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not the only one that loves my new Focus - the birds love it too and keep leaving a mess on it from the over hanging Oak tree. Got the paint protection package and it seems to just rinse off so hope that will keep the paint nice.
A salesman at a dealership that I test drove a focus at told me that Ford puts a seventh layer of paint on their cars now to further protect the paint job. Apparently this is one extra than they've normally done in the past. So that's good.

·
Registered
683 Posts
New here, but had to say loving my focus hatch... So smooth to drive.. Love it
[welcome] and enjoy your new rides! Hopefully those birds roost elsewhere!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I LOVE THIS CAR!

2012 Tuxedo Black SE (So I could get the 5 Speed Standard), 17" Black Ford Rims, Sport, Interior, and Moon and Tune Packages. First brand new car ordered exactly how I wanted it! Just hit 15,000 miles had the oil changed and tires rotated, and gave it a good wash and vacuuming this afternoon.

Love to drive it. Starting to think about some Aftermarket things... Tint and intake to begin with. Anyone have any suggestions love to hear em. Also I've only been AVG, around 28.1 MPG (All Time), due to my increased City driving. Anyone else getting down there? I do well on the Highway and Interstates (mid 30's). Just curious what you city folk are doing.

Cheers!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I LOVE THIS CAR!

2012 Tuxedo Black SE (So I could get the 5 Speed Standard), 17" Black Ford Rims, Sport, Interior, and Moon and Tune Packages. First brand new car ordered exactly how I wanted it! Just hit 15,000 miles had the oil changed and tires rotated, and gave it a good wash and vacuuming this afternoon.

Love to drive it. Starting to think about some Aftermarket things... Tint and intake to begin with. Anyone have any suggestions love to hear em. Also I've only been AVG, around 28.1 MPG (All Time), due to my increased City driving. Anyone else getting down there? I do well on the Highway and Interstates (mid 30's). Just curious what you city folk are doing.

Cheers!
I'm glad you like your car. As for city mpg's that falls within the expected range and what my personal experience has been.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2012 Focus SE Race Red

I'm trying to figure out how to use the shifter button, it's not clear to me what it does or when to use it. Any advice or tips. Thanks.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to use the shifter button, it's not clear to me what it does or when to use it. Any advice or tips. Thanks.
Do you have the select shift feature (noted by the last gear position being S)? If so when you put it into S and then push the switch up to change gear to the next higher gear, or down to shift down to the next lower gear.

If you only have the PowerShift transmission without select shift the same basic shaped rocker switch only serves one function, to disable overdrive/ engage the hill grade assist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would assume it is just like a tiptronic shifter. Pushing down will up shift through the 6 Gears. If you are familiar with driving a Standard Transmission this will give you a little bit of that sort of feel. If you aren't I would recommend just leaving it alone. In 99% of driving conditions the computer shifting will suit you just fine... unless you are planing on racing.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I didn't know that! I just assumed there was. Oh pooh, I would have considered getting a manual in that case.
I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic, the manual Focus uses the MTX-75 gearbox with a foot operated clutch pedal.

The DPS6 DCT (PowerShift) transmission also uses two clutches instead of a torque converter and is mechanically similar to a traditional manual transmission but the shift actuation and the clutch engagement are managed by electric motors and sensors.

There are no torque coverters on the "Automatic" transmission equipped 2012+ Ford Focus models.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
SORRY my bad totally...I meant to say no clutch in the "select shift" focuses (automatic and "manual")
If you wanted to say that there was no clutch pedal in the PowerShift DPS6 DCT then this is correct, however as was previously mentioned the PowerShift transmission uses two clutch disks one for even gear changes, the other for odd gear changes, however the actuation of the clutch is done using electric motors.

There is fortunately no lossy torque converter as in conventional planetary gear based automatic transmissions including the Mazda SkyActiv 6 speed that is used with their equivilent to the 2.0L GDI used in the Focus.

A lot of people seem to think that those transmissions are similar (the new Mazda one vs the DCT, but from what I have seen as far as engineering diagrams for the Mazda make it look a lot more like a regular automatic, one that is trying to lock up the torque converter clutch a lot sooner sure, but still very much a less efficient design.

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
If you wanted to say that there was no clutch pedal in the PowerShift DPS6 DCT then this is correct, however as was previously mentioned the PowerShift transmission uses two clutch disks one for even gear changes, the other for odd gear changes, however the actuation of the clutch is done using electric motors.

There is fortunately no lossy torque converter as in conventional planetary gear based automatic transmissions including the Mazda SkyActiv 6 speed that is used with their equivilent to the 2.0L GDI used in the Focus.

A lot of people seem to think that those transmissions are similar (the new Mazda one vs the DCT, but from what I have seen as far as engineering diagrams for the Mazda make it look a lot more like a regular automatic, one that is trying to lock up the torque converter clutch a lot sooner sure, but still very much a less efficient design.
select shift/power shift same thing, right? I'm referring to an AUTOMATIC tranny with the "select shift" (aka new "manual") option, which has no clutch.

341 - 360 of 1332 Posts