Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of being bullied by those small volume turbo charged cars, their turbos start kick-in at such low rev and our natural aspirated engines need to have to rev-up to 5000rpm to have enough horse power to keep up, this is becoming a significant weakness on street.

People keep telling me to trade in for a ST or other turbo cars, this is the simplest way and most efficient way to go turbo, I fully admit this.

BUT......

There are always someone to be the first to try, success or fail, one way or another. I am willing giving my 2.0 hatch a try. I need all the help as much as I could, I am letting a former Ford dealer technical team help doing this project.

At the moment I am gathering information, i am taking action when the time is right.

Here are some what I want to make sure:

What internal parts I will need to replace for turbo.

Can I buy the Steeda turbo kit then modify to bolt on a SE hatch?

I understand this is an old topic, but any more ideas are more than welcome.

Or contact me on:

[email protected]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411885930.034196.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am tired of being bullied by those small volume turbo charged cars, their turbos start kick-in at such low rev and our natural aspirated engines need to have to rev-up to 5000rpm to have enough horse power to keep up, this is becoming a significant weakness on street.

People keep telling me to trade in for a ST or other turbo cars, this is the simplest way and most efficient way to go turbo, I fully admit this.

BUT......

There are always someone to be the first to try, success or fail, one way or another. I am willing giving my 2.0 hatch a try. I need all the help as much as I could, I am letting a former Ford dealer technical team help doing this project.

At the moment I am gathering information, i am taking action when the time is right.

Here are some what I want to make sure:

What internal parts I will need to replace for turbo.

Can I buy the Steeda turbo kit then modify to bolt on a SE hatch?

I understand this is an old topic, but any more ideas are more than welcome.

Or contact me on:

[email protected]
View attachment 71593
Maybe you could try to attach a S-AFC2 to the car and a WBO2 and see whats up.
It was way easier in the start of the 2000's

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
As you probably already know, nobody has turbo'd a 2012+ focus yet. So far as I know, nobody has even tried.

Therefor, you probably wont get much response in terms of fitment and modifications.

Your only option right now is custom. You can try to buy pre-made kits and modify, but chances are likely that you will waste more money that route than just having a shop do it proper.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The ONLY thing known is that a header for an earlier year duratec will bolt up, so a turbo manifold for one of them might be a starting point.

No-one I know of has even tried a mock up to check fitment with a turbo installed to a manifold yet, that's the starting point.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ford lowered the compression ratio from 12.0:1 to 9.3:1 when they fit the turbo. You're gonna want to do something similar.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Ford lowered the compression ratio from 12.0:1 to 9.3:1 when they fit the turbo. You're gonna want to do something similar.
The Gen 2 EcoBoost 2.0L has a 9.7:1 compression ratio as used in the new Edge, so between 9.3 and 9.7:1 is probably ok if you want to run 14-21 psi.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
As you probably already know, nobody has turbo'd a 2012+ focus yet. So far as I know, nobody has even tried.

Therefor, you probably wont get much response in terms of fitment and modifications.

Your only option right now is custom. You can try to buy pre-made kits and modify, but chances are likely that you will waste more money that route than just having a shop do it proper.
One has actually been turbocharged. Look up the Vaccar Nightwalker Focus. It's a 2012 SE sedan and it has a custom turbo kit on it.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
One has actually been turbocharged. Look up the Vaccar Nightwalker Focus. It's a 2012 SE sedan and it has a custom turbo kit on it.
That's a non running SEMA car, there was no tuning available for the MK3 2.0L then. We have no proof that it ever made boost.

Vaccar claimed to use a 500 HP turbo though.

Cobb tuning successfully boosted an SE hatch as an ST test mule but was running a piggy back ecu and a Mazdaspeed3 transmission. Neither are in private hands.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nobody knows the strength of the stock rods and pistons, these engines haven't been stressed much.
At a minimum I would swap in forged pistons and drop the compression. Rods shoukd be fine unless you are looking fir really big numbers.
IMO if you want to keep your car the easiest way to go turbo would be an engine swap from a wrecked ST. There are pros and cons to this. Not everyone is impressed with the ST performance. The ecoboost engines lose steam in the high rpms. The engine has been thoroughly tested though and would definitely be reliable. Also would eliminate a lot of the guesswork and custom work.
I would seriously ask yourself if you have the money/knowledge to complete this though. Its going to take a lot of money either way. The less knowledge you have the more money it will take. I don't want to discourage you, but woukd hate to see someone waste a lot of money and then drop the project part way through.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The electrical work required with swapping the ST's engine into an SE would make it a bitch of a job. The differences in the wiring harnesses, various sensors, not to mention if you have reverse sensing / backup camera. Wouldn't you need to just go ahead and transplant the tranny as well? Ugh....it'd cost less to just trade cars.

Having said all that....I'd LOVE to have a sleeper Titanium with an ST engine & trans in it. I love everything about this car except the 160hp.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nah the harness and pcm are plug and play from what I am seeing in the fsm. Just grab the motor harness and pcm and swap the whole thing over. The BCM is the same as the ST so no need to worry about any of that stuff. I agree swap trans, especially if you have a dct.
Still trying to figure out if a fusion/escape ecoboost can be donors. I am betting they are all the same to save production costs, like Chryslers old K cars.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It's a waste of money and will probably only result in dissapointment but please prove me wrong by completing the task. That way there won't be a new thread on a turbo charger every week lol

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If you want to convert a n/a to turbo= As you said its been said before= trade up to a turbo car. How 'bout starting out w/ the earlier model 20 or 23 foci or a Mazda 3 23 or 25 & add a fwerks kit or a Tri-point engineering kit. Use the stock 5spd & add a diff to it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Am in New Zealand checking out the local market regarding on this Focus, the funny thing has no-one has even tried thinking about modifying this car, most Focus MKIII are either completely a family use car or commercial vehicles with stickers/paint all over. In the mean time, I am looking for a wrecked ST or even a Kuga, thinking transplanting the 4WD along with the engine if modding a N/A GDI isn't as possible as planned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I for one deeply hope that you do this. I have looked into the costs of dropping in an st engine but keep deciding that I may be selling myself short due to the new 2.3 GTDI coming out. It's not confirmed yet if they will make it for the focus in RS form, but it would still be awesome to have an SE with more ass than an ST, stock or otherwise. Problem is, I can't find the crate engine anywhere yet and it would require a good bit of modification just to put it in the damn car.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I started a thread in the engine/trans swap section to begin compiling information on what this swap would take and what parts are needed.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts