Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ford focus se. I just passed 98,000 miles. I have looked everywhere for answers..so I am finally turning to this forum. Here are the issues I am having with the vehicle.

1) The check engine light is on. Code reads misfire in cylinder 2.
I have replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil, o2 sensor (pre catalytic), radiator, had a fuel system cleaning done at a auto shop., Sprayed some throttle body cleaner in it too. Not sure what else I can do to fix this issue, but this check engine light has cause my car to fail inspection.

2) My horn stopped working. It makes a clicking noise, but doesn't sound. So I guess that means the relay is good, but something else is wrong. Not sure what it could be.

3) My heat/ac/defrost stopped working. One day we were driving and my wife shut off the ac and as soon as she did that the ac, heat, defrost did not work any longer. I am not sure what the issue is here either. I don't believe it is the fuse,because I checked them.

All I know is that it is actually dangerous to drive my car when it rains outside and it is foggy outside. I can't see due to windows being fogged up and I can't honk my horn at all the people cutting me off. On top of that the check engine light is on.

I've never had a problem with this car and all of a sudden in the past year..I have had to pour so much money in this car to fix so many issues and they continue to add on. Please give me the best advice and suggestions. I just really want this car to work.

I didn't even mention having to change the shocks and struts, brakes, rotors, tires, and get an allignment, new headlights. Sheesh.** But those issues are in the past.

1 sad sad
Ford owner

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
1) An engine compression test is warranted.
2) Swap the relay with a known good one to eliminate it as a problem source. The horn is out in the elements. It likely needs replacing. You can test it first by removing it and putting 12V directly to it.
3) When a number of related electrical components fail simultaneously like that it's usually a fuse. Re-check fuse 36, 58, 64. 64 is in the engine compartment fuse box.

Shocks/struts, brakes, rotors, tires, alignment, light bulbs...all standard maintenance stuff on a 12yr old / 100K mile car.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What exactly are you experiencing with the heat/ac being out. No fan control? That could just be the the switch.
No heat coming from vents or not being able to select vent position?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
hahaha that is a simple 5 minute fix my man. the switch in the HVAC controller broke. pull the HVAC control off (the deal with the 3 knobs that contol where it blows, how hard it blows, and how hot it blows lol) pull the knob off the fan control and remove the switch from the back side and replace it. you can take it up to ford or you can find a 2000-2007 year model focus in a junk yard to rob the part from (doesnt matter what type of focus it is, it might even work from other fords besides the focus but im not sure) replacement of that part wont take but 5-10 minutes and wouldnt cost but a few bucks at a junk yard. knowing how over inflated the prices are for parts at the dealership you might pay $50 or more at ford.

the mis fire warrants a compression check. there are so many things that can cause a misfire it isnt even funny but you have already hit all the usual suspects so its down to compression or timing at this point i believe. possibly injector(s). snag a can of seafoam and run part through the intake and part through the gas tank. that stuff may help it if is an injector problem. most of the fuel system cleaners that most autoshops use are junk honestly. seafoam works really well in my experience.

to test the horn issue you should snag a length of wire long enough to reach from the battery to the horn and stick one end on the hot post of the battery and run the other to the hot hook up on the horn. if the horn blows then its a popped fuse or disconnected/loose/shorted wire. if it doesnt blow then you need to remove the horn, check it for obstructions like bee nests, mud, or the like and remove them if needed and retry the test. if it doesnt work still you will need to replace the horn. snag one out of a junkyard for cheap. IIRC you can use the horn from a crown vic if you want a beefier sounding horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts