Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I wanted to hook up my iPod to my stereo, with the best sound quality possible, and without spending much money. I did some research (lots on this site) and realized that tapping into the CD Changer on the back of my 2000 Focus' 4600 stock radio wasn't likely possible, so I went a different route.

I took the stereo apart and eventually found two little markings on the CD player's circuit board: LOUT1 ROUT1. I found them on the underside of the player, near the plastic strip wire that connects the cd players circuit board to the main board*. I then very delicately ran two little wires through these holes and carefully soldered them to the board. I also soldered a little black wire to a ground on the board (large areas of solder are usually grounds, especially near a mount).

Red and Yellow wires are signal, black is ground.

I then went and got an old 3.5mm stereo plug with chord from a drawer. Stripped the one end and soldered the ground, left and right channels to the wires now soldered to the cd player circuit board. Shrink wrapped the signal wires and left a bare section of wire on the ground. Routed the wires out through the bottom side of the CD player (AS TO NOT GET IN THE WAY OF THE CD EJECTING!). I then took the bare section of the ground and pinched it between two plates holding the frame together (extra grounding**). Routed the wire out the back, and through a convient little hole in the back of the stereo.

I drilled a hole in the back of my cig holder and routed the stereo chord out that.

Lastly I needed to make a CD of about an hour of silence. That was easily done and I was ready to go.

Put everything back together, shoved it back in the car, checked to make sure everything still worked correctly (and it did), put the silence CD in and plugged in my iPod. Success! :)

Fake wood panel, so sexy.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know. I'm not a big Forum person but felt that if someone else out there was searching the web for a similar solution to mine, that I could help them out.

A little disclaimer, if you don't know how to solder and/or don't feel comfortable accidentally ruining your CD player then avoid this method.

-----------------------------------

* I think these solder points are put on the player for testing purposes.
** orginally I didn't pinch the wire between the frame and soldered it instead, but it fell off and caused some weird crackling while a CD was playing.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice writeup. Would have been easier to get an inline FM transmitter, though. Unless your area broadcasts on those frequencies, you'll likely not notice much difference in sound quality between that and your mod. Either way, looks good!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I do believe thats why he made a cd of "silence" so he could hear the sound quailty for hiss or hums or just about anything you would'nt want to hear. Or maybe you made the cd of silence so the cd won't play any music while the I-pod is playing? Which I am thinking now which is it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd imagine the CD is to trick the deck into actually turning on and listening to that circuit, in which case, that would be about the only drawback. Having to have that CD in there to listen to the ipod. But, if OP isn't annoyed by that minor detail then more power to him! I give this an A+ for effort and a B for practicality. I am completely on his side though, for keeping the factory deck. I hate most aftermarket head units!

-edit-

Looks like he did all of this while sitting in the car, so for that he must be a real man's man. Props.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Man...what a job. That's certainly a unique way to get an aux input. Soldering on a circuit board is difficult for all but the most talented.

I would have waited till I found a new head unit that I liked better than stock. (I'm waiting right now). In the meantime I'd use an FM transmitter.

But I applaud the effort. Not too many persons have enough guts to attempt such mods around here....understandable though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
that is a sweet mod!!by all means,and ive never seen or heard of anything similar A++++++ well done fella:D

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I know i could'nt do it my hands shake too much to go anywhere near stuff close together let alone solder in tight spots lol I kinda think this needs to be a sticky or maybe it would be sticky material if it had better detailed pics step by step?

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I'd imagine the CD is to trick the deck into actually turning on and listening to that circuit, in which case, that would be about the only drawback. Having to have that CD in there to listen to the ipod.
Yes, this same mod is done in the GTO community to get an aux input on the stock head unit. Also some intrepid fellow downloaded the specs on the audio processor and actually figured out how to "create" an aux input by soldering directly onto the pins of the chip IIRC, eliminating the need for fooling the unit. It got over my head so I don't know if something similar could be done to the stock Focus head units. This is not the guy who originally figured it out, but someone who detailed it (in case anyone here is interested):

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3363064&postcount=276

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hate those FM transmitters. They suck. Sound quality won't even compare to the mod this man did. I've tried using various transmitters in various cars and every time I pass some high voltage or get in a spot where stations transmit I get cracks and more music than I want.

This is definitely a good mod but i agree that more pics are needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey thanks to the wonderful OP for explaining how to perform this mod. I took a bit of a different tack.

Remember your handy dandy Torx T9 driver! As far as I can tell the only panels requiring removal for this mod are the top metal panel and the CD player housing.

So on your average 3.5mm stereo cable there are 4 wires:
- White: Left Audio
- Red: Right Audio
- Ground 1
- Ground 2

I cut a spare 3.5mm Stereo Audio L/R RCA cable I had lying around and stripped a small section of each of these 4 wires.

I used 0.022" lead free solder and a cheapo weller iron with the smallest tip.

Here are the steps I took:
- Twist both grounds together to form one wire
- Solder the combined ground wire into the "AGND" on the CD player's circuit board near the ribbon cable input.
- Solder the white wire into the "LOUT" on the CD player's circuit board near the ribbon cable input.
- Solder the red wire into the "ROUT" on the CD player's circuit board near the ribbon cable input.
- Burn a CD with 50 minutes of silence

I highly recommend securing the AUX cable so there is no stress put on your solder joints.

Visteon/ford are pretty rad for putting that little opening in the top.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,212 Posts
Hey thanks to the wonderful OP for explaining how to perform this mod. I took a bit of a different tack.

Remember your handy dandy Torx T9 driver! As far as I can tell the only panels requiring removal for this mod are the top metal panel and the CD player housing.

So on your average 3.5mm stereo cable there are 4 wires:
- White: Left Audio
- Red: Right Audio
- Ground 1
- Ground 2

I cut a spare 3.5mm Stereo Audio L/R RCA cable I had lying around and stripped a small section of each of these 4 wires.

I used 0.022" lead free solder and a cheapo weller iron with the smallest tip.

Here are the steps I took:
- Twist both grounds together to form one wire
- Solder the combined ground wire into the "AGND" on the CD player's circuit board near the ribbon cable input.
- Solder the white wire into the "LOUT" on the CD player's circuit board near the ribbon cable input.
- Solder the red wire into the "ROUT" on the CD player's circuit board near the ribbon cable input.
- Burn a CD with 50 minutes of silence
xxxxxxx
I highly recommend securing the AUX cable so there is no stress put on your solder joints.

Visteon/ford are pretty rad for putting that little opening in the top.

Very interesting...

I just got a dongle like this for non car use. If you can find or make a 5v power source then you can have cheap built-in BT audio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
e: As Sniper Focus points out splicing wires into the cigarette lighter 12V source is a bad idea on the MK1 Focus because it is constant power source and not switched. Post has been edited accordingly

Maximum lazy method:
- Purchase ~$35 12V bluetooth adapter
- Cut RCA ends off
- Strip out L/R/Ground
- Solder L/R/Ground wires into CD player
- Splice power and ground on BT adapter [edit] to ignition power (3 on diagram) and ground (6 on diagram) wires connecting to stereo

Maximum cheap method:
- Purchase ~$8 3.5mm to USB bluetooth transmitter
- Purchase ~$7 12V to USB 5V/3A converter
- Cut, strip, and solder 3.5mm end of transmitter into CD player LOUT/ROUT/GND
- Splice 12V to USB 5V/3A converter power and ground [edit] to ignition power (3 on diagram) and ground wires (6 on diagram) connecting to stereo
- Plug transmitter USB charger into converter

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,212 Posts
Those are great ideas, I was just thinking of the second method. I you'll want to tap power from a switched source, the lighter is always on so the BT would be always on. There's a constant and a switched 12v wire going to the back of the radio.

They didn't have cheap BT back when this was written and people still used ipods. ...Yet it wasn't that long ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah yeah you're right we definitely don't want something that's always on. That was dumb of me. You ~could~ splice in a power switch but that's just getting farther away from the objective of a clean stock looking install.

Looking at:

I'm not quite sure which one of those is the switched 12V, is it A-7? Might have to whip out the multimeter but getting a read on those pins seems a bit troublesome physically speaking. I'll go look at the unit and see if the wire going to A-7 is red as apparently Red is a common color for a switched power wire.

Now you have me interested and I want to write a guide on how to do this the right and clean way without splicing the factory wiring harness at all. There is some room to play with in the Visteon 6000CD RDS so I'm hoping I can fit the entire 12V bluetooth adapter into the unit.

I'm also wondering if the external CD changer pinout can be used as a 12V power source.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,212 Posts
It looks like there's plenty of room in there to do it internally. 3 is ignition/switched and 6 is ground.

1 is constant 12v for the clock and memory.
7 would be for one of those power antennas. (I think its switched also, if I recall that wire is used to turn on a sub amp)

Some cars do have switched cig lighters... thank goodness the Focus isn't one of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plan is to order a Fusion MS-BT100 which is 1 5/8" x 1 3/4" x 1/2". The ground and power will be soldered into the 6 and 3 pins respectively and the formerly RCA inputs to the CD player. I'm aiming to solder these into the PCB rather than splice the existing wires with the objective of preserving the factory wiring and having a completely stock looking stereo.

The particular reason to get a 12V bluetooth transmitter rather than a 5V bluetooth transmitter and a 12V to 5V converter is primarily fitting everything into the somewhat limited space provided.

Thanks a ton for your help Sniper Focus and when everything comes in I'll get a bunch of pictures so anyone with a MK1 focus can have a modern bluetooth audio system with a factory look for around $35. Jay-rod05 did a guide but it's a bit more messy than what I'm going for and I don't believe it is tailored to the Visteon unit. In addition the bluetooth adapter he uses is about twice the cost.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There's a guy who sells modified stock foci radios on eBay where you don't need to play cd silence. I'm not sure where he injects the signal but apparently it's a point that doesn't require having to run a cd with silence. I guess it just overrides what ever signal is present.

I'm thinking it's somewhere in the preamp stage? I'm searching all over this PCB...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts