Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
This is a n/a motor and therefore there is only so much you can do. There are some intake mods ("snorkel delete" combined with high-flow filter) that can help a little, tunes, and of course exhaust but in the end you aren't going to get a ton out of this thing without a turbo and at that point, just get a ST. It's a fun car to drive (especially with a manual). Spend some time searching/reading, tons of info here for exactly what you are asking about.

·
FF Affiliate
30,253 Posts
A Full Custom Tune will be the best mod you will add to your Focus , drop in filter , 180 deg thermostat

Bigger money Header , full Exh , Turbo etc

Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
The electric Focus rear motor mount on my 2012 SE helps me put more power down, especially on a wet road; too much throttle and I may still get some - but less - wheel hop, but at least the car now moves out with some authority. Having fixed that, I'm intending to replace my low (and practically useless in any snow) tread 215/55-16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires for 225/50-16 Continental DWS-06 tires. The gearing change from a less than 1.5% reduction in diameter should help acceleration, plus the DWS-06 tires each weigh over 3 lbs less than the Michelins, according to each manufacturer's website.

The 225/50-16's nominal diameter is the same as the OEM spec'd, and often recommended-for-snow, tire size of 195/65-15. This wider tire can't work any worse than the Michelins A/S 3 in snow, although it might seem too wide for snow if you don't own snow tires. I use 205/65-15 snow tires because I live in Canada, I'm cheap, I want less torque for snow conditions, and I thought the 195s were too skinny (giving too much understeer) for a car that regularly carries 800-900 lbs of people and ski equipment. My Ford rims are 16 x 7; if I had 17 x 7 rims, I'd go for a 225/45-17, for many of the same reasons.

And spend some time on a track, with people who know what they're doing.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I got most of the basics and at near 185whp now.

rear motor mount
snorkel delete
Air intake system, aftermarket like steeda or Focus RS airbox w/ highflow filter
Header (obx racing, speed daddy/DNA, etc)
2.5" Exhaust system (fs werks, or an ST system like CNT racing center exit with muffler added in the rear
Custom tuning from Tom/SCT4
2.3L ecoboost throttle body (63mm vrs 57mm oem)

Thats the basics, there is cams but they are $$$$$$$ to buy and install.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Add 180 deg thermostat to his list

Real Fast and check out my MK3 Turbo Kits

Tom
Where are you guys finding the 180 deg thermostats? I have been searching for 2 hours and can't find a part number. I have a 2012 SEL and am putting together my build list and this is the only part I can't find.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Where are you guys finding the 180 deg thermostats? I have been searching for 2 hours and can't find a part number. I have a 2012 SEL and am putting together my build list and this is the only part I can't find.
Stant 48728 ....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts