Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am an Spanish exchange student living in San Diego for the next year. On Wednesday I bought a 2001 Gray Ford Focus. I was looking for a reliable, gas saver, good looking car and I am happy with my purchase.

I am a auto mechanic enthusiast and a car detailer. But, I would like to have some help to fix my problems faster.

There are things I need to address on this used car, that lowed the price the owner was asking. First the A/C works, but it is not very cold. I am thinking on checking leaks, pressure and refilling the system following this focus hack.

Second, the car doesn't have power locks. Yes, who will buy a car in 2001 without power locks?! Well, I guess some people do. I am thinking on buying a kit to install it, because it is really annoying to close every door manually. I was wondering if somebody knows if there are kits with remotes for this.

Third, the car doesn't have power windows either. I will be installing a SPAL kit following this how to. I have read SPAL are pretty recommended.

And last, but not least. I was wondering if Ford has any specific code reader device, like VW does in Europe. What code reader do you recommend me? I don't know any American brand name.

I am living in San Diego, so if somebody know a place around where I can buy this stuff it would be awesome. Would it better idea to get it on the internet? any internet Focus store?

Thank you for your time, I hope I can fix my car in one or two months and have it the way it deserves.

·
Slow n lifted
10,570 Posts
well it looks like you know what you want to do and have good things to do.

only thing you really need advice on is the code reader. If you can find a cheap used sct that is good other wise your local auto store usually has one to use free or just rent it

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don't know very well San Diego, well, actually I get lost easily. Is there anyone from San Diego that can point me out some places to go? I used to know where to get cheap spare parts in Madrid, but here is different.

Any recommendation on any of the kits?

By the way, I forgot to tell you one of the problems that seems easy to fix but I have no idea why it happens. My low beams work always the car is running, even if I turn the switch to very left. Any idea about what is it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
i can answer you last question. your car has daytime running lights (DRL). the headlights come on at 80 or 90% of full power when ever the ignition is in the on postition. its just a safety feature, in fact all canadian cars have been required to have them for a long time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the information. In Spain they are going to force driving with low beams on daytime by 2009.

I am looking on ebay for r134a a/c cans. How many cannisters are usually necessary to fill the a/c system of Ford Focus? is it a good idea to get one of those that is a leak sealer at the same time?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
No, leak sealer is a bad idea. I've seen it clog orifice tubes numerous times, and if someone ever recovers your refrigerant, it can damage their equipment as well. There should be a decal on top of the radiator cover that tells you how much refrigerant and oil the system requires from empty.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
you can take it to a pep-boys or any place like that and they will do a check for you and refill it, when I pulled the engine out of my F150 I had to have it done, they charged me like 150 bucks, but that was because I opened the system up when I pulled the engine(pulled a hose out) and had to replace a hose or two, as long as your system is still good a refill at a automechanics might only cost you like 50 bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts