Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was getting a little bored with the Sexdan and got the itch to buy something nice for her, yet again, lol. The blue Ford logo had flaked off of her airbag cover a couple years back, and I grew tired of looking at the solid chrome oval that was left in its place. Also, the black leather SVT steering wheel that I scored on Ebay a while back for $15, didn't match very well with her medium parchment interior. My friend Josh (SVT3658) had suggested that I try out a wooden steering wheel to go with the stock and ghia wood accents I already had in the car. So I started scanning Ebay again and ended up finding a style that I thought flowed best with the Focus; a used MOMO Combi wood/leather steering wheel. When I noticed the date stamped on the back of this particular wheel was the year 2000(like my car), then I knew it was the one. It was a buy it now auction with the "best offer" option, so naturally I lowballed over and over until we met at a price we were both satisfied with.

Unfortunately the woodgrain on the wheel is a little lighter than the rest of the interior accents, but I can live with it. It looks better than a black SVT wheel with a tan airbag. All in all the wheel feels like sex in my hands and I am very happy with it.

Before: (don't mind the SVT bumper in the passenger seat)

After:

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
Well it definitely looks better than what you had, but what are your plans for your face and upper body when you crash?

Also, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought it was illegal to replace an airbag-equipped wheel (if the car came equipped with one from the factory) with a wheel that has no airbag?

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Baller me like
Thanks!
Looks great! But what about cruise etc?
Cruise control has been abandoned, lol
Well it definitely looks better than what you had, but what are your plans for your face and upper body when you crash?

Also, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought it was illegal to replace an airbag-equipped wheel (if the car came equipped with one from the factory) with a wheel that has no airbag?
When I crash? Well, if I crash obviously my face and upper body could hit the steering wheel. But anyone who installs and aftermarket steering wheel in their car in the first place isn't worrying about that. There are also no safety or emissions inspections in Florida so I'm not going to worry about that either.

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
No airbag in a street car? I do not approve. But at least it looks nice, and in the event of a crash your passenger won't be affected by it.

·
Godspeeding
2,008 Posts
I like the wood steering wheel, I just wish it had more meat In the center of it.

Are all the dashes darker in medium parchment foci?

Give ya $15 for your old SVT wheel [hihi]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They are pretty easy to switch back if you need to put the stock one back on for inspection.

I like the wood it looks great, is it slick? The one i got the guy used armorall on it and when i got it and installed it the grip was slick.

Did you get your horn wired up? They are pretty easy to wire up if you have a small 2 pin plug.

Ive had mine on a few weeks now i like it alot. Mine is quick release and im reminded every time i click it on i need to click the belt in as well.

With the airbag wheel i think i put my belt on only about half the time i got in the car.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks sexy Owen!!
Thanks James! I am very happy with it.

I like the wood steering wheel, I just wish it had more meat In the center of it.

Are all the dashes darker in medium parchment foci?

Give ya $15 for your old SVT wheel [hihi]
Yea all the medium parchment dashes are darker and match the carpet, everything else is a little lighter. Also, the SVT leather wheel is already spoken for![grinking]

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are pretty easy to switch back if you need to put the stock one back on for inspection.

I like the wood it looks great, is it slick? The one i got the guy used armorall on it and when i got it and installed it the grip was slick.

Did you get your horn wired up? They are pretty easy to wire up if you have a small 2 pin plug.

Ive had mine on a few weeks now i like it alot. Mine is quick release and im reminded every time i click it on i need to click the belt in as well.

With the airbag wheel i think i put my belt on only about half the time i got in the car.

The finish on the wood is pretty much perfect, it is smooth as glass. I guess it can get a little slick if my hands are sweaty, but I'm not too worried about it, i can always grip the leather too. The leather appears to have been taken care of as well, soft and smooth.

Yes, the horn was a breeze to wire up! I've always worn my seatbelt as well, if the car starts moving my seatbelt is always on.

How thick is the quick release adaptor? The MOMO hub I bought is very sleek and low profile.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I think once everything is on its about 3" deep. The hub adaptor for the focus plus the quick release.

It helps for me getting my chair in and out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts