Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the dealer for the 5th time today for the same problem. They can not replicate the issue and they had no time to take a roadtest with me and they told me the car was normal.

My wife's car is a 2013 SE manual with 17's wheels.

The problem : We are un-able to keep the car straight on the road. We always have to correct the trajectory while going over 90-110 km/h. The steering wheel kinda "stick" to the center and the car starts to wobble left, right, left, right and so on.

I'm really pissed at my dealer right now. In fact, I will not go back to this dealer ever. Ford Canada is involved but I want my issus resolved.

Hint: I have a 2013 and a 2014 ford Focus and I had a 2013 ST. I know how an electronic steering should behave. And I'm a mechanic since 15 years.

So out of 3 MK3 Ford Focus, only one does the "wobble" thing.

TSB? Recall?? Please help.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If you can rule out any problems with the tires, it sounds like you need a new steering rack.

·
Registered
650 Posts
How dare you say you have the worst dealer!! I am miffed you would blatantly post something like that here. I have the WORST dealer!! lol :)

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Wasn't there a TSB for this?

"wandering at highway speeds" or something like that.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Well, something I've always considered for this issue is that the Focus and Fiesta both have the EPAS with software designed to automatically compensate for driving in crosswinds. Most people don't have an issue with wandering while some people do. Doesn't make sense for it to be the steering column unless there really was a manufacturing defect that affects a certain group of cars, but it seems to be more widespread than a few serial numbers. My thought is - what if you disconnect the battery for a while to allow the computer systems in the car to reset to factory settings and see if there is any noticeable change in the way your car handles on the highway after you reconnect it?

There might be no change and I might be chasing ghosts, but it's free and won't hurt anything to try.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Wasn't there a TSB for this?

"wandering at highway speeds" or something like that.
Mind did that when I brought it new. It stopped after a few thousand miles. I guess it was the slickness of the new tires maybe.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Tell me about it! I'm in the same situation... And FYI it's the only dealer available in my area, the closest one it's in Yucatan (another State, but that dealer has the same owner, I'm screwed!)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me about it! I'm in the same situation... And FYI it's the only dealer available in my area, the closest one it's in Yucatan (another State, but that dealer has the same owner, I'm screwed!)
I was so pissed today when he told me the car was normal. I left and I swore the service manager it was the last time he saw my face. And my salesman too.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Have you looked at this thread yet:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263243

Even though the title is for '12's, there have been some with the problem since then.

There was ONE I remember with a sidewind wander after installing LRR tires, and happy when the tire dealer swapped them for him to a different type.

YOUR situation sounds more like some seen primarily with the '12's, and IIRC if sensor adj./reprogramming didn't cure it a replacement rack was the fix.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you looked at this thread yet:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263243

Even though the title is for '12's, there have been some with the problem since then.

There was ONE I remember with a sidewind wander after installing LRR tires, and happy when the tire dealer swapped them for him to a different type.

YOUR situation sounds more like some seen primarily with the '12's, and IIRC if sensor adj./reprogramming didn't cure it a replacement rack was the fix.
I will have a look at this thread for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have been to three Ford dealers in my area since buying my car. The dealer I bought it from, I went there 4-5 times, they declined to ever fix the Powershit issues, always stating that it was normal.

Last time I took the car to that dealer, for transmission complaints, it sat in the back and did not move, while waiting I walked back and noticed it never moved, I even set the trip odometer to zero and noted the mileage. Went back to the waiting room for another 1/2 hour and then 15 minutes later, the service writer came and got me and said my car is all done and that the tranny tech test drove and scanned for fault codes, little known to them I placed a piece of tape over the OBD port, (black electrical tape) because I wanted to see if they did what they said. Needless to say Liar Liar Pants On Fire.

Well I get to my car, noticed that trip did not reflect any miles driven, as well the mileage was exactly what it was when I drove it in. Lastly I looked down at the OBD port, tape was how I placed it. I was pissed and almost walked back in and told the service writer what I did, but I said screw it.

So needless to say I will never go back to that dealer again or buy a car from them ever again, I do not like being lied to or better yet having to educate Ford Dealers on issues that they should already know. Nothing worse also when they talk to you like your stupid, but they do not realize there are forums filled with info.

Ford has lost me as a repeat customer due to issues with my car and the treatment I got regarding the Powershit, granted I did recently get my clutch pack and seal replaced, but my car shuddered and etc since the day I bought it. I put 20K on my car and it never drove right, not how a new car purchase should be. They waited way too long to fix it, even going as far as consulting the Ford Service person on here, well the one that use to be here, a few months after I bought the car. The South Florida District Manager never followed up with me or made the dealer do anything.

Just recently I took it in for the Customer Satisfaction Program for the Powershit as mentioned above, as stated they finally replaced the parts, got the car back but had an issue with the left front driveline making noise, they never fixed it, also noticed my car was leaking motor/gearbox oil after picking it up. So I had to return the car to the dealer today and had to leave it, hopefully not for the weekend, they had my car for 5 days last week and they give you rentals, not equivalent Ford products and typical dirty smoke aroma rental cars.

I hoped to avoid taking my car in for service like this, as anyone knows the factory car is never the same after a sloppy tech get's their hands on it, I'm sure there are missing bolts, screws and etc in the engine compartment, I found a tool laying on the windshield wiper ledge when I opened the hood this morning.

I will eventually be dumping my Focus, will lose $$ and cannot afford another car right now or having to pay the upside down on a trade in. Really sucks, worst new car buying experience I ever had. Unlike that 80's Huey Lewis and the News song, I'm NOT happy to be stuck with you Focus.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been to three Ford dealers in my area since buying my car. The dealer I bought it from, I went there 4-5 times, they declined to ever fix the Powershit issues, always stating that it was normal.

Last time I took the car to that dealer, for transmission complaints, it sat in the back and did not move, while waiting I walked back and noticed it never moved, I even set the trip odometer to zero and noted the mileage. Went back to the waiting room for another 1/2 hour and then 15 minutes later, the service writer came and got me and said my car is all done and that the tranny tech test drove and scanned for fault codes, little known to them I placed a piece of tape over the OBD port, (black electrical tape) because I wanted to see if they did what they said. Needless to say Liar Liar Pants On Fire.

Well I get to my car, noticed that trip did not reflect any miles driven, as well the mileage was exactly what it was when I drove it in. Lastly I looked down at the OBD port, tape was how I placed it. I was pissed and almost walked back in and told the service writer what I did, but I said screw it.

So needless to say I will never go back to that dealer again or buy a car from them ever again, I do not like being lied to or better yet having to educate Ford Dealers on issues that they should already know. Nothing worse also when they talk to you like your stupid, but they do not realize there are forums filled with info.

Ford has lost me as a repeat customer due to issues with my car and the treatment I got regarding the Powershit, granted I did recently get my clutch pack and seal replaced, but my car shuddered and etc since the day I bought it. I put 20K on my car and it never drove right, not how a new car purchase should be. They waited way too long to fix it, even going as far as consulting the Ford Service person on here, well the one that use to be here, a few months after I bought the car. The South Florida District Manager never followed up with me or made the dealer do anything.

Just recently I took it in for the Customer Satisfaction Program for the Powershit as mentioned above, as stated they finally replaced the parts, got the car back but had an issue with the left front driveline making noise, they never fixed it, also noticed my car was leaking motor/gearbox oil after picking it up. So I had to return the car to the dealer today and had to leave it, hopefully not for the weekend, they had my car for 5 days last week and they give you rentals, not equivalent Ford products and typical dirty smoke aroma rental cars.

I hoped to avoid taking my car in for service like this, as anyone knows the factory car is never the same after a sloppy tech get's their hands on it, I'm sure there are missing bolts, screws and etc in the engine compartment, I found a tool laying on the windshield wiper ledge when I opened the hood this morning.

I will eventually be dumping my Focus, will lose $$ and cannot afford another car right now or having to pay the upside down on a trade in. Really sucks, worst new car buying experience I ever had. Unlike that 80's Huey Lewis and the News song, I'm NOT happy to be stuck with you Focus.
I really like my Focus but I will look elsewhere when changing cars. Dealership are clueless.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I feel sorry for those of you with lousy dealers: mine has been absolutely phenomenal. The are a member of the Ford President's Club, which is an honor that is only bestowed on a dealer for excellent customer service. They consider any mark below five on a customer survey as a failure on their part.

Before I bought my used 2013 Focus (from that same dealer), I had a 2011 Escape. When I had problems they squeezed me into their busy service schedule and got the repairs done right the first time and in a timely manner. They never questioned doing a TSB on my Escape. One nice thing they do is call the customer with updates while the car is in service. The call usually states what problem they found, what they are doing to fix it, and when they expect the repair to be completed. It's no wonder they are a President's Club dealer.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I got a new one, do not see the point in a dealer offering "We will wash and detail your car", then pick the car up, and it was not detailed, looks like it got a quick wash and vacuum and is still dirty.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
My local dealer's "Quick Lane" oil change time, 2 to 4 hours. This is why I take it to the dealer near where I work. Their Quick Lane oil change times are 40 to 75 minutes, 90 min if they are really really busy.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I got a new one, do not see the point in a dealer offering "We will wash and detail your car", then pick the car up, and it was not detailed, looks like it got a quick wash and vacuum and is still dirty.
Seriously?

How much "detailing" of your "dirty" car did you expect?

Oops - forgot you're looking for the Lexus experience in West Palm Beach from your Ford.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Seriously?

Oops - forgot you're looking for the Lexus experience in West Palm Beach from your Ford.
This man wins the internet [clap]

·
Registered
813 Posts
Seriously?

I had my car detailed and cleaned once before at the same dealer as a courtesy, they did a nice job, not this time.

Did you cover your pool yet and turn on the heat?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 38 Posts