Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do the big 3 but I only got the grounds on, I cant use the terminal on the back of the alternator because the black plastic thing is in the way and I am using all 1/0 gauge, how did you guys run the power did you get rid of the cooling shroud is the cooling shroud a part of the connector and do I need the cooling shroud? It's a 2010 ford focus.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tried to do the big 3 but I only got the grounds on, I cant use the terminal on the back of the alternator because the black plastic thing is in the way and I am using all 1/0 gauge, how did you guys run the power did you get rid of the cooling shroud is the cooling shroud a part of the connector and do I need the cooling shroud? It's a 2010 ford focus.
Just pop the black cover off of the positive stud on the alternator (It will still be attached). Then you will probably have to grind some off of your ring terminals to make it fit right in the spot, thats what I had to do, then the black cover was stretching to fit, and it did at first, but after driving a day it came off and dangles there, nothing big and nothing to really worry about.

If you have the stock alternator and aren't changing that out and just doing the big 3, then keep the black plastic for cooling..I ran it the same path as the stock wire, and zip tied it to the existing wire. Make sure to get some plastic loom to go around your wire.

·
Registered
299 Posts
ok and yes I am how hard was it to do where you on your back or on a lift?
My car was lifted on a lift so we could basically crouch underneath it...and from the bottom is how we did it. I thought you were talking about the rubber thing around the positive stud on the alt at first, but the cooling will most likely not be able to fit around your new alternator, and it's not really neccessary to keep it on. If your new alternator is built well enough then it shouldn't have any problems staying cool.

I give you a fair warning though, it was kind of tough to make it slide through everything and come out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts