Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thats what i think but could be related however i doubt it any way here goes/
engine has an intermitent miss, placed on scan tool a few times and never got a fault code until today i got this code. P1709 PNP switch out of self test, which is realted to the gearbox, park or nueteral position switch has an issue, i really dont under stand why my car has this fault as it is manual, so i'm throwing out here for the hopefully a guru to help me, cause i have spent thousands of dollars so far to get rid of the miss and it still there, and have check the usual suspects coil,leads plugs that type of stuff, fuel pump filter, relays everything, i'm gettin desperate as i need a relaible car and the local ford dealer is takin all my hard earn money and not solving the problem.

if you can help or have heard of the fualt please help me fix my car

Cheers

Matty

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'll try, but a pic of your engine compartment would be nice so I'm sure we're talking about the same engine. Is yours the MZR Duratec engine?

The circuit that is the neutral safety switch in an automatic is the same circuit that is a clutch position switch in a manual. Still, that is a weird code to get, and not related to your miss.

First off, I'd pull every plug, check the deposits, check the gap, and re-install with anti-seize. I'd also use dielectric grease, spark plug boot grease, etc on the connectors to insure there is not a moisture problem. Hopefully you'll find, as some have, that your problem is mostly due to different gaps on the spark plugs. I know the "pre-gapped" plugs I bought recently were off by .010

That is the first step to all vehicles. Now, if you have coil on plug ignition, then when you re-connect the coils make sure that you can't pull the connector off. Over time some of these connectors can become strained and not "click" in place. If you find one like that, simply pull the tab up so the connector is secure, double check by pulling on it.

Like I said, this is the basics. Those spark plug deposits are very important for engine diagnosis. Check online and you should easily be able to locate a chart and description of what the deposits mean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mate,

Mine is a 2.0L Zetec 2004

yeah pulled the plugs all gaps good and deposit free and no ingintor damage or distorsion.
There was a little moisture within the coil pack so i'm off to buy some dielectric grease to resovle that. I did however find a problem today where the bottom radiator hose was leaking and sprayin onto the front of the engine and onto more inportantly the crank angle sensor, thinking this may have been perhaps the root cause of defect as electricity follows the least path of resistance, since finding this i have made repairs and so far its going ok however still not 100% but time will tell.

The interesting thing that i find about this whole issue is that the local Ford dealership and maintenance centre can not find a fault with car even though its missing like it did (fingers crossed).

well i will keep you posted on progress/ success or if it continues to fail, i will replace coil pace and leads as plugs were only repalced 3 months ago

Cheers

matty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts