Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says I've got i/h/e and a reflash, but now I don't know what my next mod should be. I was thinking something like camshafts or something. but I don't know jack about cams and I have an ATX, so it would have to be something mild, but yet i want a big bang for the buck. any suggestions, whether it be cams or sumting else. And no i dont have money for FI, well maybe nitrous [thumb]

·
Registered
197 Posts
What about suspenion or brakes? Don't want to neglect those. If you're on a budget, the SVT kit is the way to go for under $300.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
he has eibach sportline already!! but your right , alot of people over look suspension!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im talkin strictly performance...i already have other mods in other deptartments. i want cams but iunno how involved an install it would be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
- 65mm throttle body
- Ported 2k intake manifold
- Plug wires
- Cam gears (SCC picked up 8hp at the wheels by tweaking the timing on stock cams)
- You said header/exhaust... did this include the flexpipe?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
With an ATX you're going to have to be careful how much power you add over stock...the 4F27E is getting almost as much power as it can handle from a stock Zetec. I wouldn't go much further than mild-grind cams, cam gears, 2000 IM and a tune without overhauling your transmission or replacing it with a Lentech or do a manual swap. Any major power adders are out of the question on a stock ATX...any form of FI (including nitrous oxide), head work that increases compression or compression-raising pistons/stroker kits (and so on.) There are horror stories of people with bone stock Zetecs going through two or three transmissions by the time they have 25,000 on the clock. My view on it is if a transmission is known to fail with stock power levels, then adding power is only going to increase the chance of failure.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Its really a moot point...the stock head is outflowed by the stock 2001+ IM, so unless you get your head P&P'd with larger valves or install a FR head an IM isn't going to do much for you.

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
Cam installs on our foci are pretty easy, they're right on top. I can do a complete cam swap now in less than 2 hours start to finish and I'm not the quickest one out there![thumb]
TriniZX3 said:
yea im talkin strictly performance...i already have other mods in other deptartments. i want cams but iunno how involved an install it would be.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes no I agree with that one guy.......... pretty much after you get your engine breathing better. You wanna get it to run better.... i.e; cams, gears, throttle body,etc. Also to help bring the hp down to the tires I recommend fixing transmission. You know clutch, pressure plates, etc. Let me know how it turns out... [thumb]

There's my .02.....[:D]

·
Registered
10,022 Posts

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
oh me too my new/used motor has a different felling powerband than my old motor. Where my old motor would make good power from 3000rpm all the way to 5500 (the power would fade or drop off about right for out motors) my new/used one makes good power at 3000 rpm drops off at about 3500 rpm then picks up a 4500 to about 6000 rpm it feels pretty weird like it has two TQ peaks. And thats why I bought some cam gears and I'm just waiting to put them on I have been working alot so I have'nt had time. Though the hardest part will be tunning cause I know there are dynos in houston just finding one to tune them in without charging my out the @$$ for it. But I will cross that bridge when I come to it for all I know when I put the cam gears on they will already be in an almost optimal position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts