Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up some bondo and primer. I'm sick of waiting for my cf hood so I decided to paint the sides of mine. Has anyone ever done this, any tips. I have never worked with bondo, but I read up on it so...I should be able to handle it. I'm just afraid of what it will look like once I put on the can of spray color match paint and can of spray clear coat. But either way, I’m committed now, $20 spent…lol

So my main question is where should I cut off the red and start the black. I want to use the contour lines so there is only two places to have the paint stop. Let me know what you think.

If anyone wants to photoshop for a rep point I'll give you one!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks good and I bet it would be killer with the black headlights! Okay, I'm glad I'm doing this. Maybe this will turn into my winter hood!

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both got rep points, anyway, can anyone photoshop it on the outside line?

·
Registered
16 Posts
well let me give you some advice on bondo, put more than you need on and take it down to what you need. this helps get the shape of the area your doing. also use some type of block as you are doing a flater area. once you have it filled and primed ( i like the filler primer) get the hose and let the water run over the area so you can see if there are any waves or such.

and on the painting of the stripe, you will get an edge where the tape lays so use the inside line where the hood is lowest that way no one will be able to fell the edge of paint. if you do get a light edge rubbing compound will help smooth it out. and also if you get an orange peel in the paint job rubbing compound will help there too.

good luck bro keep us updated

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks rep point added!!! Now if only I could get some...lol

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone photoshop one of the other pics? I want to see what it will look like with the black lights.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
ill PS them now.... but whats the bondo for if your painting? is the hood damaged?

·
Registered
216 Posts
How about you just use some red vinyl instead of painting?

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Wow, you are a pro, I wish I could give you more than just one rep point!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
First off, bondo should never be thicker then a 1/4" or you risk cracking.

And that color matched paint isn't going to be exact, in fact it may be a big noticable difference, especially on a red car. You can get your paint code in a can, but you'll also need to know exactly where your car was painted because colors actually very based on region. Sounds crazy, I know.

But it sounds like you just want to do this until you get your CF hood, so go for it. It'll be a fun learning experience I bet.

I know dude, i'm the same way....LOL

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about you just use some red vinyl instead of painting?
Well, this is only a $50 hood so I think I'll paint it. Call it a learning experience. Plus my vinyls always come out with bubbles...including the ST badge.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off, bondo should never be thicker then a 1/4" or you risk cracking.

And that color matched paint isn't going to be exact, in fact it may be a big noticable difference, especially on a red car. You can get your paint code in a can, but you'll also need to know exactly where your car was painted because colors actually very based on region. Sounds crazy, I know.

But it sounds like you just want to do this until you get your CF hood, so go for it. It'll be a fun learning experience I bet.

I know dude, i'm the same way....LOL
Yeah, I know it's not going to be perfect, but I did paint my headlights color match and it matched really close. I'm just sick of my car looking nice in all areas except for the hood so like you said, I want to take this time to learn! [duh]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
^Wow, you are a pro, I wish I could give you more than just one rep point!
not a pro yet, i have a year and a half left of schooling before that lol.... im glad you liked it, i ALMOST went overboard and blacked out the bottom grill like ive seen on a few... but yeah glad you like it!

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol...you so wish they were matched again....I guess that was the worst move I made for you!

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
It doesn't seem to look as good on an 05 as it does on an 00-04.
The hood lines just don't flow the same.
Maybe seeing it actually done would change my mind though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts