Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a ticket for going at 35mph on 20 limit road.

Well, the road is usually 35mph limit, but it was school hour which I wasn't aware of.

I am not a racer, and I'd never speeded if I knew it was school hour.

When the officer gave me a chance to ask him any question, I just asked what time is the school hour and he said it is until 3:30pm. I saw my clock and it was 3:34pm, so I asked him what was the time I was caught and he said 3:25pm. Oh, come on, I mean I saw no kids around there, and there were't even many cars.(Well, I didn;t say this to the officer, I didn't want to make hime feel like oh u wanna argue with me?)

Well, what is done is done, and I just want know how should I handle my ticket. I am under 21 age, and this was my first ticket. I heard from my friends that I can take traffic course which will erase the record, and have no effect on my insurance cost. Is that true? Officer said I don't have to go to court for speeding 15mph higher than limit, and he also said I should call the number on the back side of the ticket to find out the fine. Well, it is weekend, and I have to wait until monday. Does anyone know how much will this cost me though? What would be total cost on me for this?

Please someone who experienced similar cases give me some advice.
Thank you for reading long story.[:)]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
unfortunately, it will be alot. Usually 15 over is 3 pts and about 150 dollar fine, at least around me. but in a school zone, everything is doubled, meaning 6 pts and 300 + dollar fine!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
To find out your points OFFICIALLY: http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/offense_codes.htm

You need the offense code from your ticket; it's probably 4511.21 and it's probably going to be 2 points. Wreckless Op will get you 4, but your case doesn't sound like it. (There are much worse things than 35 in a 20.)

Also, you say you're "under 21". What they do with your license greatly depends on your exact age. See http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/sus_rnst.htm under "Probationary Revocation" to understand what could happen next time.

There is a 2-point credit course that you can take from any number of local driving schools. That will knock 2 points off your total, but your insurance company will probably still whack you for a 2 or 3 year upcharge.

You're probably looking between $100 and $200 in court costs and fines.

Please, pay closer attention to your speed. I know it sounds harsh and parent-like, but I am one and one of my sons was in this position. I'm not judging you, I'm just giving you (hopefully) useful advice.

Let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for the replies.

DaveCombs: You are absolutely right. I had to be more cautious on my speed
no matter I knew it was school hour or not.

Just like you said, my fine was $125(I didn't pay yet), and 2 points off. Well, $125 is ok for me, but what fears me is the 2 points that I think it will increase my insurance cost.

I am 20years old now, and about 6months later I will be 21.

I am not required to appear in the court, but I am thinking of going there to ask a favor to prevent my insurance go higher. Do you think this worth trying?

I will admit that i am guilty,but I want to say that this is my first offense and started to live this area since just about 2 months ago to see what can the judge do for me.

And about the code, I got 434.03 code which is not on the list. I think what you showed me is ORC(Ohio Revised Code), mine is ORD which I have no idea what it is. Well, is this worse one? I hope not.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
^its a good plan, i tried the same when i got 3 tickets in 2 year span, 2 speedings, marked on ticket for 5 over and a careless(donuts in a mall lot at 3 am dec 23....) first ticket i tried to plea first offense, and keep my rates down, no go, careless, 2 days prior to xmas, NO break, and they office was a dick, oh i walk my dog at the mall, BULL[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]GSHIT not at 3 am) anyways try to fight it, and hope the cop doesnt show, and if he does, u acan try to be sincere, like i was for my speedings, and see if magistrate drops it, also all 3 of my tix never showed up on my insurance ever, havent ran my insurance report since 04 so im super lucky!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
All good advice...and you should follow it.

If I might add one suggestion, but it probably won't save you any points in OH.

Go to court. Plead "NO CONTEST". This is not an admission of guilt, but you are not disputing any charges brought against you.

This allows the judge some leeway in both the verdict and the sentence.

Be forthright, sincere and apologetic without coming across as being trite.

It's been my experience that if you take this approach, then you will usually receive a lesser fine and sometimes, a lesser charge (i.e. failure to obey a traffic control device/sign).

DO NOT tell the judge that you've enrolled in a traffic safety course unless he/she asks you. If you start with this, it will sound like you are trying to get out of something. If they do, ask for more information and promise - under oath, that you will take the course.

It won't be fun, but you may put some cash back in your pocket.

Good luck! [thumb]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wee is spot on. I think you should go to court, because you can give an honest, apologetic explanation of exactly what happened. They may not have any tolerance because it happened in a school zone, but you may get out of the points because he CAN decide whether or not you get them. Your story may help that.

If you don't get the points, you don't have to take the class. If you get the points, take the class as soon as you can and get that info to the insurance agency to see if they will reduce the upcharge.

434.03 is a generic state-defined excessive speed violation which smaller governments adopt from the Ohio laws. No worse than anything else.

Funny thing... This morning I was coming in to work a much different way than normal (wife had to pick up her car from getting body work done - friggin' windstorm). There was a motorcycle cop sitting on a side street running laser for a school zone, and as I was approaching the zone, the 20MPH blinking sign went off, at 8:45. This is a very busy street, so I bet they're under the gun to get the sign turned off as soon as practical. But, THE COP STILL RAN HIS LASER. I wonder how that would have played out, had someone gotten pulled over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check online for the OHIO REVISED CODE. look under the traffic law, for which he cited you. I am pretty sure that kids have to be present at the time of the offense.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
bite the big one and just take the online driving course. my girl is a teacher and she was following a buss and got fulled over for speeding and they wouldnt let her off , even that she was following a buss. they are as-es when it comes to thins subject.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Take WeeAsp's advice.
Another thing to remember. It is election time. Judges do not want to hear your traffic offense right now they are worried about there election. If you go to court and the officer dosent show up, charges are dropped (happens a lot in ohio).
If you wanted to you could plead not guilty and use time as your friend.
Every clock reads different, your clock said it was past 3:30 so chances are you could win that argument without a lawyer. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I looked into it.. Since i am bored at work sitting in my cruiser.. ORC4511.21A1a it talks about kids being there, but at the end it tells about signs and notice of hours. So just hope that he does not show to court or if he does the judge is nice and just gives you court costs or something. Good thing i work a powershift and don't have to worry about stopping for that because its confusing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I decided to go to the court. It seems it is best if the officer doesn't show up lol. Well, I think it will be an experiece at least, and I guess I have nothing to lose for going there. The time for trial is at 5:00 pm, so I hope the officer get lazy that time. ha

·
Registered
482 Posts
well your lucky cuz i just got my second ticket in less than 3 months. this second one i was doing 64 in a 35 and i just happened yesturday. so i have to go to court for this one. the ticket alone cost me 180 bucks. the best advice is to do the speed limit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts