Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After gettin towed and changing the oil car drove alright for a few days but now rpms are staying high while driving and i have two error codes. Ill post those up in a bit but anyone have any advice i need to know about this situation?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Any knocking noises from the engine? Maybe you just got water on the Mass airflow sensor, which can leave codes, and cause performance issues.

Got a CAI by the way?

Good luck.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have a CAI, usually gives me no problem in the rain but there was a flooded area that i didnt see untill it was too late. but the error codes are
P1121 "Throttle Possition sensor A Inconsistant with MAF/MAP sensor (see P0068)"

and

P1246 " Alternator Load input (see P0622)"

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Moved to: "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

alternator load input? dont worry about that one. if you have UDP's, we know the cause of that one.

id try cleaning the maf first. if that doesnt help, maybe replace the TPS.

from what i hear, if you hydrolock, the engine wont run. im i correct here?

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Yep, if you hydrolock the engine is done. It probably is the MAF, perhaps it got wet and you know electronics and water don't get along very well. Try cleaning the maf first, if it doesn't work then I'd try to change it.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
You can hydro-lock and bend one rod only slightly.....enough to make knocking noises, but still keep running. It only takes a little water to do that. I replaced several engines that were still running after a water incident....just noisy.

I hate to hear about these sorts of problems, because so many people here advocate a CAI setup, rather than an SRI. Not me.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for moving the thread to the right section, Ill have to double check on the knocking noise, but i hope the rods arnt bent.. I found a guide how to clean the maf which ill do as soon as i can but i dont know how to replace the TPS (throttle possistion sensor?)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Why was it being towed?

Cleaning a MAFS that got wet will do no good. Only fix is a new MAFS.

TPS is just 2 Philips screws and the connector. It only fits on one way so it's almost fool proof. Just be very gentle with it, they are a real POS.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
probably cause it wouldn't start....^^ that would suck if one of the rods were bent..... but I guess there's no knocking, right?

lol sorry but now I gotta say this: "bluefront! why is your foci so sexy!?"

·
Registered
209 Posts
OH!!! i hydrolocked my motor and it would only spin 350 degrees and it would bottom out then reverse that 350 degrees and stop again--- one rod bent

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you've still got a relatively smooth running engine with no ugly noises, then the basic engine is probably OK. The TPS is probably not the issue here, the MAF harness connector has been soaked and if you're lucky you may just have to dry everything off, or if you're unlucky the MAF (the "hotwire" element) itself may have been "quenched" by the water and is toast. The error code is because of a "disagreement" between the signals that the ECM is getting from the MAF and and the TPS (one of them makes no sense). Your ALT. load code has also got to be related to water contamination somewhere.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Any water (and it wasn't much if the engine is running) that MAY have gotten into the engine is long gone (you stated that you'd changed the oil and the engine has been running.......it's been drained and/or vaporized). The question is have you got all the moisture out of the electronics in the engine bay? Maybe not, from the sound of it. Is the battery charge light out when the engine is running? Under load can you accelerate the engine above about 3000 RPM? With your aftermarket intake is the MAF still located high up in the engine compartment, like the stock one is? The SES light is still ON but not flashing?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well right now my RPMs are kicking high and the car wont idle properly,and gives me those two error codes. the MAF is still high up but water may most likely did do some harm. Battery seems to be okay as far as i can tell.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well if it runs the odds of it having water still in it are slim.
Let it dry out and check it later.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so i fired up my car, RPMs were unsteady untill the engine warmed up (3 to 5k ) and i listened to the engine and im thinking i may have bent a rod.. since the engine doesn't sound right to me. So i was wondering worst case scenerio i did bend a rod, how could i replace it? and would it be as simple as just replacing it or does anything else need to be done?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
One way to tell is to get a mechanic's stethoscope. Harbor freight has them cheap, Sears hardware usually has them. Then with the engine idling, run the probe from the belt end to the rear, slowly. It's best to touch the block, maybe from underneath. If you do have a bent rod, you can hear the change in the noise as you pass the suspect rod. The noise will increase....usually a knocking sound.

The other way is to do a compression test on each cylinder.....the one with the bad rod will usually measure lower.

Another way is to monitor RPM drop as you disable each cylinder in turn (pull a plug wire). The RPM drop will be less when to disable the bad cylinder.

Don't take anybody's guess on this, unless you trust the guy. Fixing a bent rod is not cheap.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
1) if you had a bent rod the car would run like crap from the start... and make pinging/clanking noises constantly

2) you can soak the MAF and after it dries it will usually run fine... on the other hand one drop of water in the TPS can ruin it... chances are your TPS got soaked.

Definitly do a compression test if you think you bent a rod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts