Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know where to start, I will bullet point for easy reading and hope it is appreciated.

- I buy a 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 from my brother instantly had some issues with it, unbeknownst to him due to loaning it to a brother in-law and my brother never driving it.

- Issues: Idling Rough, Kicking From 1st gear to 2nd gear, Brakes, and misc cosmetics things.

- I get the brakes, new spark plugs/wires/coil pack, oil change, few cosmetic things.

- The biggie and the reason for the post is this: The jerk/kick going from 1st to 2nd. Hold on it is one that confused about 70 yrs of transmission experience and a major Transmission parts company.

This is a Automatic Transmission 4F27E, and it kicks from 1st to 2nd gear, and no manual drive.

Steps taken to solve problem.

1. Banner Kit Rebuild On Transmission, Didn't Fix It
2. (2) BRAND NEW FORD Valve Bodies W/Everything (Solenoids, Etc), Didn't Fix It.

Here's the story form: I had the transmission rebuilt, they installed it after being rebuilt and then they drive it, still same problem, okay we order a New (Not Rebuilt) Ford Valve Body W/Everything (Solenoids, Etc) twice, It had manual drive but it would neutral out at 3rd gear on both the new ones. So I told them to get the old valve body back in it, at least it worked just the kick and no manual, it would just kick from 1st to 2nd and no manual but every other shift in over-drive works seamlessly. One other thing with the two new valve bodies it had manual but still took a long time to go into 2nd... Guys I need some help desperately, this has everyone stumped!

Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Time to dump the slush-box IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be honest this is work I have had done by others, and I betting not. Would that effect it having no manual drive? (1)?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Did you change Solenoids A & B or just the solenoids for the individual gears?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what they told me they swap I think 6 or basically all the news one in the new valve bodies and then put them in the old.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my old automatic did it when it was cold in the mornings (at 193k...)

does it really matter if it kicks? i was a fan of it, felt like i had a shift kit in it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This has no problem doing it whenever it wants, sometimes hard, and sometimes not, and this focus has about 177,000 on it.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
From what they told me they swap I think 6 or basically all the news one in the new valve bodies and then put them in the old.
I would double check to clairfy this. There is the solenoid six pack and then solenoids A & B. They're a different size and are a known point of failure on this transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question Benkap: This is a novice asking this keep in mind, lol... haha... Where are the Solenoid A and Solenoid B located and do you happen to have a diagram possibly?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
They're in the trans pan. Lemme see if I can track down the How To. I know they are the ones with the white and the purple wires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts