Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time posting

First, my story. I found a 2002 SVT Focus Black ZX3 with Red Interior. Came with a Jackson Racing Supercharger, k&N filter, larger injectors, and a short shifter. And with 30,000 miles and the price we payed, the toyota dealership in Miami, FL we believe had lil knowledge of the aftermarkets.

Anyways, This is my first manual and all is sweet. Im getting really good at it.

And here is the problem, since its used we dont know exactly what was done to the transmission (where my problem lays). It shifts smoothly, no deadspots, bearings are fine, downshifts beautifully. Now for some odd reason, when above like 5k RPMS from first and trying to shift into second, it feels as if there is something blocking it. Even pulling it with a great deal of force, its a fight to get it in there. Now to begin with, the shifter is already really really stiff, perhaps a bad job on the install. My Stepdad agrees, and he use to own a SVTF, and he thinks its odd. If shifting around like 3k for normal driving, its perfectly fine. What would be blocking it and why is the short shifter so stiff?

This is our only problem, but like i said, it is only a problem when punching the engine from 1st to Second Gear.

Any thoughts?

Besides that, i love my SVTF, my step dad envys me because how lucky we got on the find with the supercharger and all. Its alot more responsive than his ever was, too bad he crashed his.

Here are some pics as well:

P.S. Can anyone link me to the instructions how to fix the front suspension rattle?

To Sum it up... as i go faster and to a higher rpm in 1st gear, it becomes progressivly harder to hit 2nd.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have the same exact issue and I wonder if its the shifter or the clutch /Throw out bearing. I have the Steeda/ FRPP Shifter...

Hmmm...it wont go into 2nd until it drops to about 5k...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we have ruled out bearings because it downshifts into second smoothly at any rpm...

Not exactly sure what is going on

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Well, I know this might sound stupid, but I used to do it on MY svt. I would get too enthused about shifting and actually BARELY catch the reverse lockout and then it would catch and block my 1-2 shift. I would be PISSEd. Then i would just concentrate, and take all the force out of it, and just slam it or whatever u wanna call it thats what u do when racing it. If that doesnt work try to take it to 7k not flooring it, and see if it goes into 2nd. Could be a Synchro, but usually they will grind real bad, but go into gear. .02

·
Registered
406 Posts
There is such a large ratio gap between first and second that rushing the shift is hard on things. With the stock shifter, I CAN pound second but it takes a lot of force and surely isn't good for things at all. Unless the shift linkages are getting bent out of shape because of motor mount flex, it doesn't seem like anything is really wrong here.

Oh, you might check the lower mount and if it isn't an aftermarket (VF or MAC) one, make that your next purchase. Will make a dramatic difference in the shifting, for sure. And you could pull the shifter and make sure that it is greased properly.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Dudley123 has it. Have your syncros checked. It's possable the car was turned in with it that way from the previuos owner. Dealers just check to seee if it shifts they won't rip on em. And if the previous owner was there when it was appraised then he probaly played the nurotic card to make damd sure the used car appraiser would not go nuts with it. Syncros are not horrably costly. its the labor.If you have a friend who thinks he is a blue oval tech he can probaly help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To Sum it up... as i got faster and to a higher rpm in 1st gear, it becomes progressivly harder to hit 2nd.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i would pull the shifter 1st and make sure everything is fine in there. like what was said above, might even wana grease it up. if that dont fix it then take it to a ford dealer and have them check it out. might be something w/ the linkage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We tried again this morning... i think we were just accidently hitting the reverse lock.

I took it from 4k, 5k, 6k, 6.5k, and 7k rpm... sure its harder to shift cuz short shifter, but its working, and i guess now its something i have to get use to. Never driven with such a short shifter.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I tired to slam mine with a good tug, and it REALLY had trouble going into 2nd then..I actually had to leave it in nuetral, pump the clutch, then notch it into 2nd. Ive just gotten used to not being able to shift fast anymore since the clutch/fw and short shifter.

Could it really be my short shifter doing this!?

I still suspect the clutch alignment, or throwout bearing. I dont want to drop the tranny again...

SVTFRobexe, try something for me....put your car in first, clutch in, standing still and rev it up high...6500-7000 or so, and see if the car slightly lurches foreward. Mine does...WTF does that mean!? I know that is the root of my problem..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im used to it already, its def hard to get in, but ive mastered it.

My car doesnt lurch foward when doing so, so you definetly have a problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts