Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new focus (2016) se and in 10k miles I had the transmission fixed 4 times and replaced twice. It would have been more than 4 times but they insisted I drive 5k miles for break in before repair. Rear main seal and a/c compressor also replaced. Transmission still came out of gear and took off by itself in parking lots. I had to sell it for a whopping 10k less than I paid as Ford engineers said everything is normal after driving the car (and dozens if not hundreds of others) around the block. A month later I bought a new honda insight. They said due to the focus' history they couldn't take it as trade in. This is my first new car. My grandfather worked for Ford his whole life. Shame on you Ford. Now Honda is taking care of me. You just lost a 60yr tradition. I used to hate honda and liked ford. Now it's reversed because you know you messed up and left a huge customer base stranded. Anyway I am sorry for those of you on the same boat. I hope you got a manual!!

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
'They said due to the focus' history they couldn't take it as trade in.'

That's some slap in the face there. And deservedly so, Ford has walked away from thousands of customers other than to offer to sell them another Ford to cure the issue. Like Nissan and their humongous CVT trans issue. Why Ford sales are dropping, it takes a while for things like that to kick in. But wait! They'll sell you a 'better' truck or SUV now.........you just didn't wait long enough.

I was a 40 year customer, didn't get soaked with a DCT but the way they are doing things now drove me off too. It took many years to work my way there, the company is not the same one it used to be. The DCT thing is merely a blatant example of what they do now. I've seen it coming for the last 20 years, it got much worse around year 2000.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ford lost me on new cars when I purchased a 2005 Mustang in 2006 with 16000 miles. . I had every problem experienced by those that bought this first new generation model. In order : couldn't fill up gas tank unless very barely squeezing the handle. Car would bog and attempt to shut down when going from one freeway to another on a curved ramp. Tachometer quit working. Thermostat housing exploded. Coolant overflow tank cracked and leaked onto the cooling fan relay and shorted it out. Parking brake cables would freeze solid on below 32degree mornings. Manual transmission was shipped with low fluid and failed at 35000 miles even though I asked the dealership to check the level at 25k. They said it didn't need any. Warranty denied everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Henry had an idea. To find a way to mass produce cars for the everyday consumer so they could afford it. It was always about the customer. Just what is it about now? Adding jobs in Mexico and give us mediocre product here? Subbing out engines and transmissions etc that don't work properly so they have no real idea how to fix their quirks? Just what do they hope will happen when they simply deny things are wrong to the point where owners are willing to lose more than half their money spent to get rid of this product.

BEST PART....at least now I don't need a rental when going on a trip. That car never saw more than 200 miles away from dealer. I got several rentals the 2 years i had it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Henry had an idea. To find a way to mass produce cars for the everyday consumer so they could afford it. It was always about the customer. Just what is it about now? Adding jobs in Mexico and give us mediocre product here? Subbing out engines and transmissions etc that don't work properly so they have no real idea how to fix their quirks? Just what do they hope will happen when they simply deny things are wrong to the point where owners are willing to lose more than half their money spent to get rid of this product.

BEST PART....at least now I don't need a rental when going on a trip. That car never saw more than 200 miles away from dealer. I got several rentals the 2 years i had it.
Ford replaced their last CEO with one that has a history in the furniture business. The current CEO has basically destroyed the company. I'll be surprised if Ford is still around in 10 years. They're already facing lawsuits and federal investigations over the new Ranger and falsified fuel economy figures. The class-action suit over the DCT is starting up again.... This is what happens when you appoint someone as CEO that has no clue how a company should be run....

·
Registered
160 Posts
'They said due to the focus' history they couldn't take it as trade in.'

That's some slap in the face there. And deservedly so, Ford has walked away from thousands of customers other than to offer to sell them another Ford to cure the issue. Like Nissan and their humongous CVT trans issue. Why Ford sales are dropping, it takes a while for things like that to kick in. But wait! They'll sell you a 'better' truck or SUV now.........you just didn't wait long enough.

I was a 40 year customer, didn't get soaked with a DCT but the way they are doing things now drove me off too. It took many years to work my way there, the company is not the same one it used to be. The DCT thing is merely a blatant example of what they do now. I've seen it coming for the last 20 years, it got much worse around year 2000.
The fact that Ford uses a dry-clutch DCT for daily drivers blows my mind. A more efficient torque-converter automatic or a CVT would have been way better. Then again, most consumers don't know the difference between torque-converters, CVTs, and DCTs - "they're all automatics" is the attitude and it reflects how the general public doesn't educate themselves before buying something as important as a car.

Ford replaced their last CEO with one that has a history in the furniture business. The current CEO has basically destroyed the company. I'll be surprised if Ford is still around in 10 years. They're already facing lawsuits and federal investigations over the new Ranger and falsified fuel economy figures. The class-action suit over the DCT is starting up again.... This is what happens when you appoint someone as CEO that has no clue how a company should be run....

Don't blame Mark Fields or Jim Hackett. After all, this car was designed while under Mulally's tenure. I don't like Hackett's way of running the company as well, but this isn't his fault admittedly.

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
I hated one of the ones around year 2K, the Jacques T(ournear?) guy. The one who when he was told the cars could not get cheaper and prices could not be raised then proceeded to direct managers to eat their own all through the ranks. Class A Mechs that made pretty good salaries (they had the skills to justify it) then got the wages cut at over and over to make them low enough Ford drove huge numbers of them off to work for the competition. The leftover guys couldn't fix anything.

Not what you do unless you like to shoot yourself in the face.

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
Fiat is as bad as Renault is to Nissan. That last potential deal they pitched to Renault was a laughing stock joke, Fiat suggesting a 2+ billion cash payment to 'even things up'. What idiots! The only thing Fiat has is Mopar now. And almost every one made has a recall on it.

I watched close way back when Renault gutted AMC to be much worse than they were before the buyout. They were putting 75 hp. engines in 3300 lb. cars, it was utterly ridiculous. Even the post office complained, their mail Jeeps did not run as well and broke more often.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have not one but two DCT equipped Focus cars, one nearing 150K miles. I also have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee with the infamous 9 speed auto and an Alfa Romeo turbo 2.0. To top it off, I have an MT82 equipped Coyote Mustang.

What messed up prize do I win?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts

They are having some issues but gone in 10 years,I think not since they are still making a buttload of money and selling trucks almost as fact as they can make them.

This is primarily focus(ed} on two models and it still astounded me that people continued to buy the DCT with all those troubles early on and no real fix-it in sight.

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
All it takes is one model in enough numbers to do it.........you'd best look at that stock price again, close to a 5 year low. Astounded? Not in this new world of 'truth is not truth'..........some 40% now doesn't even know any longer what the word 'racism' means. Or that when you get a tax cut it means you get money back not pay in more.

In that world it gets so easy to rip silly people off I'm even thinking about doing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a new focus (2016) se and in 10k miles I had the transmission fixed 4 times and replaced twice. It would have been more than 4 times but they insisted I drive 5k miles for break in before repair. Rear main seal and a/c compressor also replaced. Transmission still came out of gear and took off by itself in parking lots. I had to sell it for a whopping 10k less than I paid as Ford engineers said everything is normal after driving the car (and dozens if not hundreds of others) around the block. A month later I bought a new honda insight. They said due to the focus' history they couldn't take it as trade in. This is my first new car. My grandfather worked for Ford his whole life. Shame on you Ford. Now Honda is taking care of me. You just lost a 60yr tradition. I used to hate honda and liked ford. Now it's reversed because you know you messed up and left a huge customer base stranded. Anyway I am sorry for those of you on the same boat. I hope you got a manual!!
As a big Ford fan myself I am also disappointed to see the DCT problems with the MK3 Focus. A European designed and styled Focus finally makes it's way to the US and the automatic transmission is junk... go figure. At 40k miles my DCT started to give me problems, like losing 2nd 4th 6th and reverse gears, so I decided to swap out the transmission for the MTX75 Manual Transmission. Everything runs great now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
All it takes is one model in enough numbers to do it.........you'd best look at that stock price again, close to a 5 year low. Astounded? Not in this new world of 'truth is not truth'..........some 40% now doesn't even know any longer what the word 'racism' means. Or that when you get a tax cut it means you get money back not pay in more.

In that world it gets so easy to rip silly people off I'm even thinking about doing it.
I understand what your saying, but please don't rip people off... (bad karma [mecry])

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
You guys think you’ve got it bad. I’m a Chrysler guy!
Nothing wrong w/ the hemi's or the pentastar 36's...lot of different choices. Same goes for the Ram's & JK's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts