Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since our conservative government seems to abandon its previous plans to go metric, I decided to start metrication with myself. After the stock German face gauges proved to be incompatible with the American cluster lighting, I gave up and ordered the Speeddhuts. It took me 1.5 hours to install these because there was a broken wire, so I had to solder it myself [mad] However, the dials came up exactly as I expected. When installing the Speedhuts, you have to plan ahead where you will hide the switch and inverter - it proved to be a challenge in my case. All in all, all the problems were worth it [thumb] Unfortunately, when I was ordering the dials, I forgot to mention that the fuel gauge should run from 0 to 1.

---

---

---

---

---

So, what do you think?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
madmark10 said:
if you dont mind me asking! how much? 60?
Oh, not at all. The total amount that I paid was $64, and the dials were well worth it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't know.. They just look to stock for me. Props for the originality in regards to metric.. but I just can't stand the look of black-faced gauges after getting my whites.. It's just a pity that my whites bubbled then died.

Now im getting red. :)

*cs19.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, it is true that I prefer stock to most of the aftermarket stuff because stock parts still have better quality. That was the reason as to why I purchased the stock Euro dials. Should it had worked fine, I would have gladly left it be. My desire for stock was the very reason why I got the stock Euro tail lights instead of some aftermarket ones.

By the way, here is what I used to have for about a month before I got the Speedhuts:

---

I was assured by a seller that they would work fine with the stock lighting, but evidently it was not the case. During the day they looked mint though. Yet honestly I think that the Jet Black dials fit gray interior better than white dials.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
true.....
what kind of needles do you have???
im looking into a set of Speedhut gauges and i want some needles that aren't orange....

·
Registered
489 Posts
nice, but you have km/hr not miles/hr

you are in the states right?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Since our conservative government seems to abandon its previous plans to go metric, I decided to start metrication with myself.
Yes, he is- Cali it looks like. I thought the US decided against Metric back in like the 70s though, was it recently brought up again as a possibility? If so, I missed that discussion.

Metric does make more sense than SAE, I wish we woulda swapped.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
knightriderzx3 said:
nice, but you have km/hr not miles/hr
I believe that was the whole point... he wanted it in km/h, not the mph that U.S. cars have printed on their gauges.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't forget the little pegs that keep the speedometer and tachometer needle from excessive travel.

I know, you have the Duratec, and don't have the little pins. I was just razzin' ya a little. [;)]

Those do look very nice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lil PZEV said:
Yes, he is- Cali it looks like. I thought the US decided against Metric back in like the 70s though, was it recently brought up again as a possibility? If so, I missed that discussion.
Just to give you a brief overview on the metrication in the USA - the feds decided to switch to metric in 1970s, but then the enthusiasm slowed down and almost died out. The revival of metrication began in 1993, and then it slowed down again. It is funny that all SAE units are officially defined with the use of metric units (1 foot = 30.48 cm, etc.) I have not yet heard that one foot was directly defined as a distance travelled by light in ... seconds [:p]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts