I need a new amp

I bought A

Kicker 12" Subwoofer (CVR12)
•800 watts peak power
•25-500Hz frequency response
•Polymineral cone

•Double-stitched surround
•Dual high-temp voice coils

with a 1000 watt amp. The amp is a wack ass Xplore yes a bobo name amp...For some reason it keeps clipping out when i turn it up... I want to get a new amp that will really make the sub hit...on the sub box it says max amp watt 800 and rms 400....but i have no idea what to get and what would be a perfect fit...Plus is it a good idea to get a componet system for my focus 05 cuz i have a stock radio and my system hits but my highs and mids suck...is there anything I can do to fix that? Also what kind of box would u recommend and is it smart to get a capacitor for 1 sub?

Email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
1) Your sub is rated 400w RMS, which is the more important spec.

2) Is the sub dual 2 or dual 4 ohm?
Knowing this will help decide what amp to get.

3) Don't worry about a capacitor.

4) Better speakers or components sound better, but it all depends on your budget.

First things first...... dual 2 or dual 4 ohm sub?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Shadowrunner said:
a 1000 watt amp is too much for a 800 watt sub. you'll end up blowing the sub. buy another one so you'll have 500 goin to each sub. trust me, 2 is WAY better than one [:D]
:smacks self in forehead:

1) Those are Peak Power ratings, of which mean very little. RMS is the important rating.

2) The difference between 1000 to 800 or rather, 500 to 400 is very minimal.

2x the power only increases the loudness by 3dB

10x the power increases the perceived loudness by double

repeat: 10x the power to double

400 to 500 is a 25% increase, meaning less than 1dB increase in loudness

To be honest, it's preferred to have a little more amp power. Not necessary, but preferred.

Oh by the way, double the cone area increases only 3dB as well. Doubling the cone area is less effort per sub, which also means less potential for distortion, etc. I'm not sure I'd say that is WAY better, especially factoring in the loss of space to do so. It's a compromise.

Back to the original post. One amp for one sub. The dvc ohm config is needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whut up FocusInCali:

The sub I have is a dual 4 ohm! I was thinking about get another one but then I lose space in the trunk so all I really want to do is make this one hit hard...Thanks for replying I hope this can help.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Well, with a dual 4 ohm sub, depending on how it's confugured, it is either running at 8 ohms or 2 ohms ..... if you have it wired for 2 ohms and your amp is not 2 ohm stable, that may be the problem. You will need an amp that is 2 ohm stable.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
yep sounds like that could be the problem to me too

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Zed Audio Minilith Class D mono amp for $241 direct from:
http://www.zedaudio.com/products.html

Actual power is 450w at 2 ohms, and for future use it will do 650w at 1 ohm. You can actually connect 2 of them for 1300w at 2 ohms. They have a parametric EQ, subsonic filter, and remote level knob controller.

High quality design by one of the pioneers of car amplifiers, and built like a tank. I've been to Zed Audio in person and used to have a 4ch Draconia. Very solid amps.

Make sure the sub is in the proper sized box, wether ported or sealed. Sealed boxes generally have better sound quality, but ported will be louder around a specific frequency.

·
Registered
461 Posts
the easiest way to improve your sound system (aside from dynamat in your trunk) is to get even a cheap amplifier for your four speakers (door speakers). Without one, you rsub will have incredible bass, but your highs and mids will 'suck' as it was originally put. Get something like a boss amplifier, it will run you under $100 and be able to run around 35-40W RMS to your 4 door speakers. make sure and set your crossover right as well, on both amps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If im going to get an amp for my high and mids what type and how powerful should they be? I really want to get the component for the front with the tweeters and get the matching set for the back like some Audiobahn ABC680V

# Power Handling:

* 120 Watts RMS
* 320 Watts Peak

# Frequency Response: 25Hz - 25kHz
# Sensitivity: 93dB
# 4 Ohm Impedance

and if i do get 2 amps would i need a capacitor?

·
Registered
461 Posts
probably not, you really don't need a capacitor until one or two of the following things happen:

a) you are running more than 500 Watts RMS power, consistantly at mid to high volume.
b) your headlights/dome almps start dimming during heavy bass

component speakers are a great option. you could also get two, three or four way door speakers, and just isolate the mid and higher sounds (through your deck's controls) limiting the bass for an easier installation and lower price. depends on what you want. either way, another amp to power them is the best idea. hope this helps! - Ryan

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
budget budget budget ???? How much for speakers and amp?

By the way, do NOT get 3-way, 4-way, etc speakers. They are the cheapest low quality speakers you can find. Well, next to paper stockers, anyways. LOL

You always want 2-way with a good tweeter and better crossovers. Period.

as said, don't worry about a cap right now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.