Focus Fanatics Forum banner

I am worried about changing the fuel filter

3K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  mwalsh 
#1 ·
I am reading all these horror stories about breaking clips makes me very weary of doing this myself. I have checked prices and the filter is about 10 bucks but cost around 55-65 to have a shop do it.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Don't be fooled......the job can be a real bear. You have to jack the rear end way up to get enough maneuver room. The connections at the filter can be clogged with dirt and crap (mine were). This makes getting the clip loose very difficult.....without breaking anything. Then the lines can be stuck on the filter (mine were). If you break anything, you're going to require a tow to the dealer.

It can be a nasty job.....took me two hours.

#6 ·
Well I changed mine on my 2000 focus about a year ago, seeing as how my car is 5 years older than yours, or Bluefronts car, you would think that it would be harder to replace the fuel filter due to dirt build up and what not. But the undercarriage of my car is surprisingly clean and I had no problems switching out the fuel filter, it only took me maybe 30 minutes max. I guess it all depends on the condition of the vehicle and the dexterity of ones hands.

#9 ·
It’s not that bad/hard. Just get under there and look at what you’re going to do before you do it. I was hesitant about doing mine, until I actually started the job.
Also, it’s not a bad idea to have some safety glasses just in case, you never know, I am sure gas in the eye sucks.

#11 ·
just do it!

if you afraid of this itll stop you from doing more in the future.

the way i see it is...well if it breaks its not like a destroyed my car.
though i always allow for 50% more time than what i initially think. cause shithappens right before you make progress.

ohh and make sure you pull the FP relay so you dont go swimming in a pool of gas.

#15 ·
spark plugs are easy if you have sockets that can reach.
the tranny fluid takes more time. i would argure that you should tackle the fuel filter first(to asses your skills and confidence) but all it is :
bring to temp
unscrew line that bolts into the tranny on the driver side
drain fluid while car idles
screw line in and refil.

#19 ·
^^ Nothing hard about the lines. All you have to do is press on the flat white spot and pull. It will come off. Ignore the clips that come with the filter if you get any. Those are the old style.

<--- Has O5

I hate fuel personally, but it has to be done.

To change the AT filter is the same as changing any other AT filter. I highly recommend one of the AT fluid drain pumps to help drain the fluid when you change the filter. Keep in mind that you don't drain all the fluid when doing a filter change. After removing fluid from the pan, remove the pan using a kitty litter box to catch drips. Clean the old gasket off the transmission and pan without using a plastic scraping tool if needed. The filter pulls straight off- only an O ring holds it on. Install the new filter, put the gasket on the pan, and install the pan. Fill with 2 qts, start engine, check fluid level, add as needed. I forget how much you need for a filter change- sorry.

#22 ·
yeah dude you need to change it. i changed mine @70K, cut the old filter open and it looked like dirty oil. i mean this was black and a bunch of little fragments in the screens

#23 ·
ive been doing mine every 25-30k, the filter is cheep and its an easy job. its worth it to me.

#28 ·
Easiest way to raise the car for the fluid change is to get some ramps. I suggest 'Rhino Ramps', which are available at most auto parts stores. Black, composite plastic. Get the car up high enough you can easily crawl under it to work.

As for the fuel filter, go easy on the clips...don't force them. They simply slide one way or the other (not sure whic way), but once you figure the first one out, the second is easy.

Also, be sure to gap your plugs before installing. They come pre-gapped, but not always to what they should be for the Focus.

#29 ·
hey everyone im attemping to change my fuel filter right now and im reading on it. what boggles me is where is the fuel pump fuse? what location is it in? i don't have my owners manual[poke] and im gettin pwn from it!

someone can help me real quick?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.