Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Focus in for maintenance yesterday to the stealership (like I have been doing since my first scheduled oil change in late 2004) as I was approaching 25k miles. Now, tonight, as I was taking my mother to the train station, I smelled a slight hint of gasoline every time I would accelerate from a stop. This has never happened before. When I got back home, the smell had intensified tenfold. When I opened the hood, I nearly died (not passed out - DIED) from the smell of gasoline. I also noticed that the exhaust note sounded louder than usual, like something was preventing the exhaust from exiting the vehicle through the tailpipe.

I hope a fire doesn't start soon, as I have to go back to college tomorrow, and I don't have bus fare for a week. Now, I'm definitely no expert, but what I'm thinking is it might be something wrong with the catalytic converter, if not the whole exhaust system. I didn't get a CEL light either, so I don't know what might be up. Can someone tell me what is wrong?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
sounds like you almost have some sort of gas leak on the fuel rail or around an injector. other than than i've got no clue, but i wouldn't be driving that very much. . .

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...I have no other way of getting to school... I have no other choice but to drive it. I don't go anywhere other than school or the train station anyway, so I hope I don't do too much damage to the engine.

Thanks for the input. Oh, and focuson03, nice MySpace page. I really love the background - it made me drool a lot and I am cleaning my keyboard right now.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
^^ thanks, my g/f actually found it for me and when i saw it i had to have it lol. good luck with getting the car fixed but it sounds like you need to get it in ASAP

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pop your hood in the morning, and have someone start your car and just OBSERVE everything. Look around the engine and then look underneath if you see any leaks. Gas will evaporate very quickly and the car wont get hot enough to catch on fire so just check all your hoses around the top and look underneath.
It can be just something very simple but you gotta BE A MAN and take the RISK of BURNING UP..........Just kiddin, relax and give it a try.

·
Registered
169 Posts
check all things that relate to fuel. check injectors, fuel rail, fuel filter.... all fittings and connections and ur most likely to find it... or just take it back to the dealer haha

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
And in the mean time, get a good fire extinguisher and carry it with you, just in case. You get a small fire you can put it out quick and save the car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information, guys.

...Guess what it was? The oil cap. Somehow, one of those [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g bastards left the oil cap off and I got oil on my front bumper and a little bit on top of the hood. Oh, my car is getting a Baptism with soap, water, and wax when I get home (and when it stops raining... stupid Ernesto... hope everyone's safe).

...and viney, please tell me that's not your focus with the pool on it in your 'tar

·
Registered
125 Posts
How does that explain the smell of gas though?

Leaving the oil cap off.... I think I'm just gonna do my first upcoming oil change myself.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Oh yeah, thats my Fofo, but its a large party raft...Check out my gallery pictures, plenty of pics in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts