Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 ford focus ses hatchback 5 spd with 2.0 it has a lot of options
I got it for next to nothing 2 years ago 111,000 miles..
SO I was coming home from work, and of course I got behind 2 cars side by side at 34 in a 40 with NO ONE in front of them for a mile. So when the dodge truck was running up one of the cars rear end he got the hint and moved over.
WELL I stood on it and got behind the truck as he blasted forward. I missed a shift...…… after I got away from the crowd of cars I looked down and shit,
check engine light and temp HOT, I shut it down and coasted a mile fired it up
I have lost the belt. Well I put belt on and cleared CEL which was cyl 2 misfire
and cyl head over temp protection active P0302 and P1299. SO You can't fix a head or replace a head gasket without pulling engine RIGHT?
I runs smooth under load but I know something is up it stumbles at bottom of rev. is it scrap time? THANKS

·
w/ my magic bag
29,298 Posts
Thats the fail safe to keep it from overheating then if it didn't have that sensor in the center of the cylinder head. Possibly check the coolant...Drive it for awhile down the freeway...I'd also check the oil level also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I started it this morning and Hey it seems to fun fine. I took it out and drove it around,
when it was warmed up I stopped and it almost died. Took it home and narrowed it down to #1 it has 75 lbs compression 2 120 3 120 4 130 So since I am sure you have to pull motor to pull head due to timing chain (unless someone wants to correct me) this cars chapter will end today

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bummer. Is there someone in your area that can help you.
I bought my 2000 for almost nothing and we swapped the engine. It wasn’t too expensive to find a decent one in a nearby junkyard.

I’ve put 37,000 miles on it this last year and I’ve got my money out of it.

Since it sounds like you too bought yours cheap, why not look into what it’ll take to get it running and decide how much you’d use it. If I were you’d I’d do what I did with my 2000.

Or find someone like me who would like it and repair it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK you twisted my arm I will fix it. I have never yanked a focus engine out. Just lots of forklift engines. Never really found any videos about it either. So feel free to give me any hints. THANKS Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got the head off and I was surprised at the lack of wear on chain,guides and cyl bores. The car has 111,000 miles. But now I know the problem. Earlier My compression test showed on a hot engine was, 75 125 125 135. It ran smooth cold and missed hot. I found that All exhaust valves hit pistons. So I stripped cams and followers and its off to the head shop for a quote.

·
FF Affiliate
30,142 Posts
If all Exh valves hit the pistons you have more issues then just running it hot , I would change Valve springs and do rings and check size of pistons whey you are in it this far

Tom

·
Registered
204 Posts
overheating a motor isnt gonna make the exhaust valves hit the pistons, something else happened, id love to see the pictures of the stripped cams and the chain and the gear on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason the belt came off is a missed shift over rev I am sure. Every thing looks really good considering what happened. The cams look fine and I have seen cams trashed from backfiring
on chevy 4 cyl motors in Doosan forklifts. The chain is not stretched. I do appreciate all input thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd do what Tom suggested first, put another motor in it. 2.0 engines with under 100k can be had probably cheaper the head machine work and gasket set to fix your current one. Not to mention you might have other issues but I'd assume the crank sprocket spun and threw the timing when you over revved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only issue with that is I ran it that night and took it for a drive the next day it ran great until it warmed up and #1 had 75 lbs of compression Yes its a gamble I will wait for the head shop to eval it but thanks for input

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An old man and a cell phone is a dangerous thing when posting pictures

·
FF Affiliate
30,142 Posts
Running an Engine hot wont cause the Exh Valves to hit the Pistons , Over revving , bad valve springs , timing chain jumped a tooth etc etc etc

Tom

·
Registered
204 Posts
so wheres the pictures of the stripped cam your claiming? and pictures of the chain would be handy also.

id throw in a used low mileage 2.3 and sell what you can from the 2.0 motor and call it a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts