Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
hey, I just bought a 2000 zx3 and the first day it was running really good. I was driving it pretty hard to see what its got :] but now when I get to about 4000 rpm it losses power and sort of sputters. It only does this when it's in gear, it will wind up fine otherwise. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?
-Greg

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
^^^ Right on the money, check with Ford to see if the fuel pump was changed out ( its free), if it has, do a fuel filter first. If not, get Ford to do them for you.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yeah I was gonna say the fuel filter.......what I'd recommend you do is have a tune up on that thing, and have them flush all the systems.....they did that for me and I got a noticeable improvement in power (mostly acceleration) and about 2-3 increased mpg, so I was happy about it. oh right, and I could shift easier too, and stop really well (but that's because my brakes were worn and all that ;P)

but yeah it's most definitely the fuel pump like they said.... I just said that if you want a clean running system, and so you don't gunk up the new pump immediately :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i found that other thread about the feul pump and filter. im gonna call a dealer tommaro and change the filter as soon as i can. thanks for the info im glad i joined the site and love my new focus!
-Greg

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
yes, i just had that problem, i just took it to ford dealer and they fixed the fuel pump for free. good luck with everything! oh and welcome to ff.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
probibally the fuel pump or the fuel filter. i had to change my fuel filter
and added some fuel injection cleaner to the gas tank !drove the gas tank empty and my prblems solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts