Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the past week with my eyes online looking at all sorts of set ups. Its been awhile since I've had a sub in my car and I am pretty stuck.

To start out I am a cheapie, I have a set budget, I am not planning on going past it, and yeah its low, get over it.

I've had my eyes on a few subwoofers:

Alpine Type S 12 (Single)
Infinity Kappa (Single)
Infinity Reference 12's (dual)
Alpine Type R 12 (Single)
Pioneer Champion, the 600 watt RMS one(Single)
JBL 15 (Single)
Kicker Solo Classic 15 (Single)

I am fully open to suggestions. My absolute max to spend on a sub would be 150$. The amplifier I will be using is a Alpine M500 (500 RMS,Class D)

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
which JBL?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the GTO-1514. 350 watt rms, but it looks to be really really efficient, and the reviews on it are really good.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The GT5 is a good sub. I am a huge fan of JBL

If you haven't looked into the Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 or, Dayton Audio TS320D-4 you should. They are VERY good subs.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I'm talking about, finding a new brand is cool with me.

I'm actually going to look at a few subs today.
Kicker L7 10 in the kicker box (new, but old silver style) 120$
Alpine Type X 10 used 140$
JL W7, needs a recone 100$

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I really like JBL products.

I also really liked my Kappa sub I used to have in my truck.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the reference before, my only problem with it was it blew on only 150 watts. It just quit. No fading or anything just popped and was done. The kappa have always had my eye.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
I have had very good luck with Alpine speakers. They should sound good using the Alpine amp.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Do you have a digital multimeter? Or, do you know anyone that has an oscilloscope?
I am inclined to think that your gain(s)are set too high.

I am sending you a PM

·
Registered
184 Posts
All the speakers you mentioned are great budget choices. My pick would be the pioneer. If going to go kicker nee in that range get the compS instead. A consideration to wanted enclosure size needs to be looked at too. But being in car audio professionally for 11 years. My current go to entry level effcient drivers are the jl w0 and wx series. The 12wx and 12w0 are great low mms efficient woofers work great in small sealed (.75-1cf) and in smallish vented(1.25-1.5 with 14-16 sq inch vent at 33-38)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why get a compS? I'm talking the new Solo series. Next I've taken a look at the hifonics 15 and can't find a single bad review anywhere, kinda has me trigger shy on the others. I feel the pioneer is a strong choice and will be considered deeply.

Anybody have any luck with a prefab ported box, last one I heard sounded awful, thinking of going sealed.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah the comps are getting better. I had 2 12s in a slot ported prefab and it wasn't bad. Had a JL 360.2 powering them.

·
Registered
652 Posts
What music do you listen to?
How much room are you willing to take up in the trunk?
Sound quality, loud, or a mix of both?
Im a soundqubed fan. But they do like boxes on the big side and ported only.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm really a sealed box fan. I can't take up too much room due to a bottle. But probably two cubes wouldn't be too much . Mainly everything but I only care about the bass for rap and EDM.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ended up just buying something. Found an audio store that was closing and ended up with a brand new polk audio 800w mono block and a Memphis reference 15 for 120$, probably not the best deal but I was happy. He even through Ina box but it's a shitty one, a new one is in store

1 - 20 of 33 Posts