Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked Zymol for ages.. But i wanted to see if any newer stuff is better. Yes.
The Meguiars Ultimate is really good.
I use ordinary Viva paper towels (they do not scratch) to apply and wipe most off. then use the Meguiars supplied terry towel to finish (and remove those last 'polish swirlies'.
Very nice.Just got it, so I have to see how it holds up. And how well the (dry) dust strips off

The bottle of Meguiars needs to be shaken pretty good before use...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would highly recommend against using paper towels of all things to apply and buff wax. It may not seem like you're scratching the paint but that's only because the wax is filling in the scratches that you're leaving by using paper towel. I ran a professional detailing business for a couple years and I would not let paper towel anywhere near any car.

You should really look into getting some microfiber towels. Even terry towels will leave some swirl marks in your finish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You should really look into getting some microfiber towels. Even terry towels will leave some swirl marks in your finish.
^ This

To add, I've always had good luck with the Meguiars products, both with my interior and exterior supplies

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Paper towels. Scratch the hell out of my polycarbonate glasses...

Give griots best of show wax a try. Easy to apply and looks good. I also like using a sealant first, it lasts a lot longer then wax and is a good base for the wax to improve shine.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Also look into the meguiars 205 polish. I used it right when I got my mustang and it really improved the stock finish. Lots more shine, zero swirls. Use it with an orbital for best results.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Viva paper towels are different from any other paper towels I ever used. I use Viva on my CDs and other optical discs. It really is more like cloth that any other paper towel. For other paper towels I have to agree they suck at leaving scratches..
I have used Viva paper towels for many many years on my Cds, DVDs, and cars. never a problem*

(*for awhile the QC on Viva was sometimes fail, (mid 2000's) and some did have hard bits here and there, but that fail has passed and they seem to again be 100% nice and scratch free product.

On optical discs you can see the finest marks. Viva leaves no marks. So I trust it in my car paint too. Your choices may vary. Mine are with Viva.

Yes I come across like an advert for Viva.. they are good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You aren't that far from me. After the winter is over, bring your car by, we will look at under the light. I am genuinely curios weather or not you are swirling your finish or not. Not to offend, but your methods sound similar to the ones dealer "detailers" use. And hopefully I can turn you on to some very delicious Menzerna products.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You aren't that far from me. After the winter is over, bring your car by, we will look at under the light. I am genuinely curios weather or not you are swirling your finish or not. Not to offend, but your methods sound similar to the ones dealer "detailers" use. And hopefully I can turn you on to some very delicious Menzerna products.
Menzerna compound/polishes are awesome. And of course you can't beat the sf4500. I'd bet your going to find swirls w/ your light as most ppl are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A thought for you to consider Elizabeth. The paper towel surface, being relatively flat, doesn't have anywhere for the small dirt specs to absorb into. Where the paper towel itself may not scratch on a perfectly clean surface, the small bits of dirt/pollen that you pick up while waxing will be pushed by the paper towel. A microfiber towel is much more forgiving by absorbing dirt specs into the fibers of the towel.

The good news is, your Tangerine paint probably does a great job of hiding the swirls. But they are there.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not run anything over the paint in circles.. I go in straight lines.. So if I have microscratches, they will be all straight lines..
I used to hate seeing those swirls on car paint!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I do not run anything over the paint in circles.. I go in straight lines.. So if I have microscratches, they will be all straight lines..
I used to hate seeing those swirls on car paint!!
Straight line or not, they'll still be noticeable and if your waxing pad is abrasion free you won't have an issue anyways. The reason you want to go in small circles while waxing is to ensure universal coverage, at least with the larger surface areas of the car.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?6442-Circles-or-Straight-Lines&s=

^ Actually that forum might be good for you to check out anyways

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Plus it has Mike Phillips on there too. He use to work for Meguiars

1 - 13 of 13 Posts