Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love craigslist, I got a set of 1990 Ford Thunderbird 15" rims for snow tires for only $80! [:D] Tirerack.com wants $52 apiece for 15" black steelies ($208 total), so this is a deal, plus no hubcaps to deal with! I need to find center caps for them, preferably generic Ford ones, but I'll take whatever I can find. Anyone looking for cheap rims for snow tires, these or old Taurus rims are a generally a good deal! I checked the fit and there are no clearance issues with the brakes on the front or the back on my 2014 SE with the appearance package and 4-wheel discs. These are 15x6.5 so they are about the same size as the smallest rims Ford puts on the Focus and should take a 195/65R15 tire.

Attachments

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I love craigslist, I got a set of 1990 Ford Thunderbird 15" rims for snow tires for only $80! [:D] Tirerack.com wants $52 apiece for 15" black steelies ($208 total), so this is a deal, plus no hubcaps to deal with! I need to find center caps for them, preferably generic Ford ones, but I'll take whatever I can find. Anyone looking for cheap rims for snow tires, these or old Taurus rims are a generally a good deal! I checked the fit and there are no clearance issues with the brakes on the front or the back on my 2014 SE with the appearance package and 4-wheel discs. These are 15x6.5 so they are about the same size as the smallest rims Ford puts on the Focus and should take a 195/65R15 tire.
Old school broooo!!![grinking]

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
When I had my Focus I used the same wheels for snow tires. Plastidipped them black. Only paid $40 for the set.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was looking through the used car ads for Focuses and I saw one that came with a set of winter tires... The owner had used an old set of Windstar rims for them.

They were this style:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a 96 Thunderbird. Loved that car.. Drove like a tank through the snow, and rode like a Cadillac on rails. Really smooth ride.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got a set of used Taurus wheels last year for winter. I already had the tires for my old 4 lug Focus, so it worked out well. Not as fancy as yours, but usable.

·
Registered
282 Posts
OK... so will the steel 15x6 rims on Windstars and Thunderbirds fit on the 2013-2014 Ford Focus Hatchback correctly?

I am in the process of buying a steel wheel package for my 2014 HB and car-part.com has the 2012-2014 Focus steel 15x6 steel rim for $65-$100 but the 1990 T Bird 15x6 steel wheel is $20 and the Windstar 15x6 steel wheel is $40-$45.

Can someone PLEASE verify that these wheels have the correct backspacing and fit over the brakes on the 2013-2014 Focus? I want to make sure they do before I buy them. It would seem that since the above mentioned 15x6.5 aluminum TBird Wheel fits... then the steel wheel should fit too right?

Either way.. can someone help me find a 15 inch steel wheel that will for sure fit the 2012-2014 Focus? The winter tires in the 15 in. size is much much cheaper then the 16 in. size.

Tire Rack recommends 195/65R15 on the Focus 15x6 steel rim.. so that size SHOULD fit on any 15x6 rim... the only issue I cam concerned about it whether these early rims have the correct backspacing and lug pattern. Could someone please let me know.. either here or in IM. I want to get these soon and I am not sure what to do.

EDIT:
This page lists some various rims some people have used for winter tires...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273962

Also found this page:

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/focus/2014/

Lists the specs...

Tires for Ford Focus 2014

Diameters: 15'' - 18''
Width (mm): 195 - 235
Tire aspect ratio (%): 40 - 65
Smallest tire size: 195/65 R15
Largest tire size: 235/40 R18

Rims for Ford Focus 2014

Bolt pattern 5x108
Diameter: 15'' - 18'';
Width (inches): 6.5 - 9;
Offset (mm): 42.

Thanks,

JB

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the wheel & tire calculator on wheel-size.com and put in 215/50 R17x7 for my factory rims and 195/65 R15x6.5 for the T-bird rims and it said I should have plenty of room around the suspension, wheel wells and fenders. Try it with a 6 inch wide wheel, I imagine you'll be fine, but I'm no expert.

@ tdo, I was looking at a set of those Taurus rims, but they were more expensive, and I like the T-bird ones a bit better. I was hoping the older Taurus SHO center caps would fit, I thought that would be cool but they are too small. I am probably going to end up with center caps from a T-bird, I figure at least it's a Ford so those will be better than ones from a Cougar!

·
Registered
220 Posts
2000-2005 Taurus 5-spoke alloys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
@ tdo, I was looking at a set of those Taurus rims, but they were more expensive, and I like the T-bird ones a bit better. I was hoping the older Taurus SHO center caps would fit, I thought that would be cool but they are too small. I am probably going to end up with center caps from a T-bird, I figure at least it's a Ford so those will be better than ones from a Cougar!
Be sure to watch Craigslist. I got my set of 4 for $80. I think they are late 1990's. I was more concerned with functionality than appearance.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Be sure to watch Craigslist. I got my set of 4 for $80. I think they are late 1990's. I was more concerned with functionality than appearance.

You could get some steelies for even cheaper!

·
Registered
282 Posts
You could get some steelies for even cheaper!
yup.. I got a line on some Windstar Steelies for $15 a piece! I also bought a set of Blizzaks for $170 and 4 TPMS's for $50. I'll have a full set of wheels for under $300... thanks Craigslist! All I'll have to do is get everything mounted up this Dec!! I feel like I'm stealing from someone!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
You mean like these?

Because that's what I'm getting if I ever get snow tires!!!
Yup. I had a 2000 and a 2004 Taurus. Both had these style wheels on them. Very cool IMO.

I still have a set of center caps for these laying around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts