Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 mk3 se focus 5-speed power shift (automatic). I read Ina hypermilibg thread here that shifting from drive to neutral when coasting can improve mileage. Is there any damage that can happen when shifting from drive to neutral and back again while coasting?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a 2013 mk3 se focus 5-speed power shift (automatic). I read Ina hypermilibg thread here that shifting from drive to neutral when coasting can improve mileage. Is there any damage that can happen when shifting from drive to neutral and back again while coasting?
It will not increase MPG. The Focus has fuel cutoff on decel. Shifting to neutral would require fuel to maintain engine idle speed. With fuel cutoff on decel your engine is "off" whenever the vehicle is coasting and not using any fuel. If you want to get a few extra mpg squeezed out try to coast more often.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
^^ I second that. Coasting whenever I can has squeezed another 2 to 3 MPG out of my focus.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
You will Not damage anything by putting it into neutral and back into gear. It has a computer controlled throttle... It can handle putting the car into gear at speed.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Well thats silly , you will not damage anything with the DCT or an automatic by going to neutral and then back into gear

The decel fuel cut wont be active unless it is decel , coasting it wouldnt be used , your fine to do this and if your up to speed and have a long enough distance to travel then yes this will help the MPG a little , if its a short distance like an exit ramp then your about as well off to leave it in gear

Tom

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
the trouble with decal fuel cutoff or DFCO, is that there are multiple criteria that have to be met so you might save gas sometime/ and DCFO in gear will reduce your coasting distance.

when you switch to neutral, you will always save some gas. an idling car wont use too much gas. for further savings you can always switch off the ignition (switch it on right after the engine stops, so you don't lock your steering) you'll loose power brakes, but there typically enough vacuum boost for multiple stops before it gets harder to push.

in hypermiling circles this is the approximate hierarchy of best to worst ways to slow down
1) coasting in neutral, engine off (ie. roll to a stop);
2) coasting in neutral, engine idling;
3) regenerative coasting (hybrid vehicles)
4) regenerative braking (hybrid vehicles)
5) coasting in "deceleration fuel shut-off" mode (in gear, above a certain engine RPM)
6) conventional friction braking (non-hybrid or hybrid)

I've compiled a bunch of MPG tips here
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326057&highlight=

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It will not increase MPG. The Focus has fuel cutoff on decel. Shifting to neutral would require fuel to maintain engine idle speed. With fuel cutoff on decel your engine is "off" whenever the vehicle is coasting and not using any fuel. If you want to get a few extra mpg squeezed out try to coast more often.
I 3rd this... Fuel cutoff during deceleration works amazing in our cars, I have an exact situation that proved it... while going down a long 8 mile stretch of down hill, I reset my trip computer at the top and coasted down the hill, in gear, engine on, AC on, going 75 MPH and the fuel computer was pegged at 99.9 MPG for a good couple of miles after I had to start using throttle again at the bottom.

Bottom line, I say it's not worth the wear on the transmission lever itself to worry about shifting in and out of neutral when our fuel cutoff works so well... it even helps avoid additional wear on your brakes by not having to ride the brakes to slow down a free rolling car, the gearing will keep your speed in control.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd just cut the motor off, if your trying to save fuel.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Don't ever cut the engine, you lose power steering and brakes and is very dangerous! Seriously, with our cars just learn to let off the gas early and coast more.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Don't ever cut the engine, you lose power steering and brakes and is very dangerous! Seriously, with our cars just learn to let off the gas early and coast more.
Power steering assist does not seem to be reduced until you stop, but you will lose power assisted brakes after a few stops.

I still wouldn't recommend doing it regularly, but you should test the car at least once in an empty parking lot to determine for yourself how it handles when the ignition is shut off.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Power steering assist does not seem to be reduced until you stop, but you will lose power assisted brakes after a few stops.

I still wouldn't recommend doing it regularly, but you should test the car at least once in an empty parking lot to determine for yourself how it handles when the ignition is shut off.
Yes, we have electric steering but seriously, our car uses almost NO fuel when coasting, do you people not understand this? Killing the engine completely is just... not... worth... it... If you are willing to risk your life to save a few pennies of gas right when the prices are dropping nicely and we can easily get 40 MPG with simple easy driving, then you bought the wrong car and should have got a Prius.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Yes, we have electric steering but seriously, our car uses almost NO fuel when coasting, do you people not understand this? Killing the engine completely is just... not... worth... it... If you are willing to risk your life to save a few pennies of gas right when the prices are dropping nicely and we can easily get 40 MPG with simple easy driving, then you bought the wrong car and should have got a Prius.
I'm not advocating shutting the car off regularly in order to save fuel, just that one should be prepared to know how the car reacts under the circumstances that it were to cut out that you don't freak out and end up in an accident like the people whose cars suffered from a faulty GM ignition switch.

There is a difference.[angel]

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm not advocating shutting the car off regularly in order to save fuel, just that one should be prepared to know how the car reacts under the circumstances that it were to cut out that you don't freak out and end up in an accident like the people whose cars suffered from a faulty GM ignition switch.

There is a difference.[angel]
Good point, if you INSIST on doing it then at least be prepared! And sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to directed at you specifically, I'm just surprised others are still advocating for this method.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts