Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, finally I found some time to give you guys a little update on how these work in my car.

After a few days of use I could definitely notice a nice improvement on my commute routes. It pulled stronger, revved up faster but most importantly it was very smooth. It really improved the handling bellow 3k RPM.

I got a shock when I ended up at the gas station, that my milage dropped to 20 MPG (I usually get 21-22 in town) and I was expecting better MPG as well. First I was worried that something is screwed up and I just imagine the improvements, but on a weekend on a San Diego - Los Angeles trip I got 30 MPG with 90% freeway driving - before that my best was 26.8 MPG with 100% on the freeway.

After this trip I started to ease up on the gas and I got 23.9 MPG mostly with city driving. So it seems that it does improve milage as well, you just have to be careful with your right foot [:D]

In overall, I would strongly recommend it to everyone, especially if you do a lot of freeway driving. These cables really deliver what they promise - I can't wait for the dyno day at Focus Central in May to see what my numbers will be [thumb]

·
Registered
66 Posts
hmmmm .... I've done a lot of 12v study and have some concerns about the validity of this product. I have to question whether you made any other changes during this period of time that may have shown those gains.

The reason I say this is because they'd have to have a pretty crappy stock ground cable to cause that much of a gain in fuel economy. It claims 10x less impedance across the ground cable ... 10 x 0 = 0. When there is negligable resistance reducing it by 10 times really doesn't buy you anything.

Maybe I don't completely understand, but I'm calling BS. I don't know how to explain your gains though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The price seems really steep, but I can see where gains could be made using an aftermarket ground kit.

kaweahnet: Where did you get the '10 x 0 = 0' from? The resistance from the stock grounds probably isn't 'negligible'. A larger gauge wire should provide enough reduction in resistance to net better performance. I don't know if '10x' is accurate, but you should get something. I know the 1st gen WRXs are famous for having bad factory grounds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly what I though first that this is BS. But after I've seen the test results in CA&E on an 850R Volvo as well as a very good local shop tested one kit on a 95 Acura - they dynod it before and after installation - I thought I would give it a try.

As for my mods kaweahnet, I installed it about 1 month and about 1500 miles after I put in my FC TB. There were no other changes done to my car since then. In May I will go to the dyno day at Focus Central and see some numbers. By then I will most likely have at least a cat-back besides my TB and CAI. It will be quite easy to see as if I remember right whiteboyslo has a very similar set-up so far with an ATX.

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mofocus said:
improved handling.........
True mofo, a bit strange wording on my side [;)]

I was doing it after lunch before jumping back to work, but basicaly what I meant is that bellow 3k it pulled smoother and stronger. This is what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
bluebisz said:
As for my mods kaweahnet, I installed it about 1 month and about 1500 miles after I put in my FC TB. There were no other changes done to my car since then. In May I will go to the dyno day at Focus Central and see some numbers. By then I will most likely have at least a cat-back besides my TB and CAI. It will be quite easy to see as if I remember right whiteboyslo has a very similar set-up so far with an ATX.

setup for the dyno day will be: volant intake and magnaflow exhaust. that's it.

Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
I wouldn't pay $115. That's just expensive. I would however pay about $30-50 for either 4 or 2 guage wire and replace all the existing ground cables and most importantly power cable under your hood. Well you're not suppose to replace your power cable just run new wire with it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whiteboyslo said:
setup for the dyno day will be: volant intake and magnaflow exhaust. that's it.

Mike
Mike, I thought you already have a TB ... but anyway, it will be fun to be there [;)]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is that all it is - just a ground cable from the battery to the block? If it is I'd do a 1/0 guage Scoche ground cable as Jibberish18 said.

I'm sure for $115 there's got to be more than just a ground cable - please do tell!

oh, and don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting your gains - it just seems a little crazy that a ground cable would be so bad from the factory to lose that much. I'm looking at it from the factory loss standpoints - not the aftermarket gains. Believe me there are many SERIOUS problems that can occur across a bad ground cable (especially with the computers in cars today) - I would think the factory would be do their best to make sure it's a good ground.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
people, make your own grounding kit, its not rocket science. a friend and i both did that. and we spent 25 bucks each. i have yet to put mine on though, i will probably be doing that soon.

kaweahnet, dont be so quick to call bs when youve never tryed the product. if it absolutely did not work then it wouldnt even be on the market.

BTW, your wheels weigh a TON!

·
Registered
66 Posts
"if it absolutely did not work then it wouldnt even be on the market." - Well, I'll call BS on that! Look at how much crap is on the market that doesn't do a damn thing. How about the magnetic fuel saver - what a joke! What about all the chip mods that just plug into your MAF sensor. Just because it's on the market doesn't mean anything!

You're right though - I've never tried it. However, I was very clear that I could be entirely wrong about it though and that is was my personal opinion. I'm only going on my 12v experience. Heck, for $25 changing out the ground cable couldn't hurt anything - but >$100 for a kit? I don't think so. I would have to believe that there is more that comes with it other than a 2ga wire and some instructions.

Kits with instructions are nice - but the chances are you can do the same thing on your own. However, we need someone for like bluebisz to go out and do a test run on a product first to find out what it's all about.

Bluebisz - I hope you don't think I'm dogging on you at all! I meant no disprespect in it (like some peole will do in this forum). I'm glad you posted your results - and your gains are real. I just have to evaluate from my own perspective. Hell, I ran out and paid $30 for the magnetic fuel saver just to prove to myself it didn't work. Some claim that it worked for them, it did nothing for me! I have to wonder if it's placebo (sp?) at times.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a link to the company, check for the grounding kit under products http://www.sunautomobile.com/

kaweahnet, it's good that you are sceptic towards anything like that - I would do the same, so no disrespect taken [thumb] The reasons why I decided to try it were:
- Car Audio & Electronic article with dyno runs on the Volvo
- This kit is a dealer installed accessory in Japan backed by dealer warranty
- Group 5 motorsport test results in San Diego (many local Focus guys from FJ recommended them as they are a very good shop)

For me the 115 was worth the price - just to think about the fuel economy improvement on long freeway trips ;) When I bought it I was thinking that if it doesn't work at least I know it doesn't. Anyway, this was just my experience - it would be fun to do dyno runs with and without it, but that's too darn expensive.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I think if you know where to put the new ground cables, you can go to the hardware store and make your own 'Hyper Ground System' for cheapper than $30.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts