Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please explain to me the fact that everyone is so worried about hydrolock. I posted in a previous thread, that I had a 1996 Eclipse, dropped it 4" so it was as low as possible, hated curbs tbh, and I had an AEM CAI. So my CAI was at ground level just about and I hit puddles and snow, and never, ever, worried about hydrolock. I'd figure with the way the new Foci sit, my ST seems kinda high, that even with a CAI, there would be no real concern on it hydrolocking. And I've heard different stories as to the amount of water required to hydrolock an engine. If someone has a place that states facts and not just myths / worries on hydrolocking, please post for everyone that worries about it. Personally, I don't, so I'll be going the CAI route since it pwns SRI. [:D] Thanks!

[8]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
i never had a problem with mine and it sat real low and driven all year around.....but then ive heard people hydtolocking from spray from others car.....so i dont know.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I think the issue of morons not having the common sense not to drive thru 5inches of water is of greater concern than having an intake that sits low on the cars body.

I think a stock intake is better than having a short "ram" intake that bogs, especially around here where it gets 100+ in the summer.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
^^true, true^^^

·
Registered
367 Posts
..:: sleestak ::.. said:
pwns? with a whoppin 2 more hp? lol
Steeda SRI = 6 Proven HP, comments from "bogging" in hot weather (and not just by Tim)

Marcy, FocusSport CAI = 10 Proven HP, MUCH colder air going into the engine.

This was not the hardest decision I've had to make...

Lamar

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I've had a SRI on my old Zetec, and it would heat bog like crazy. Its just the nature of the beast.

Never had issues with my CAI, and we get plenty of rain here.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Egz said:
I've had a SRI on my old Zetec, and it would heat bog like crazy. Its just the nature of the beast.

Never had issues with my CAI, and we get plenty of rain here.
"HEAT BOG" is actually the ECU pulling timing due to your IAT's

·
Registered
367 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
"HEAT BOG" is actually the ECU pulling timing due to your IAT's
Very true, but it is still the result of air that is too warm entering the engine...

I haven't heard much of this when discussing true CAI's...

Lamar

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
My AEM CAI will pick up water. It never hydrolocks but it has a big problem with water logging the filter. I bought one of the outerwears water resistant covers from CFM and have not had a problem.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Smokethebear:

DYNO PROVEN by who? The manufacturers? I'm sure they'd NEVER overstate HP gains or toy with a dyno. [confused]

And I believe he stated that was 2hp over an SRI. Maybe 6 - 10 hp over stock intake, but i'd be willing to be it's only about 2 - 3 hp over an SRI. Bogging can be reduced or eliminated on an SRI with good placement of the filter intake, or a nice heatshield/duct setup like on the volant.

Show me some real world dyno's from people who have changed from an SRI to a CAI and the gains they have gotten on the duratech.

And i'm sorry, but even if hydrolock is only a REMOTE possibility... just not worth the gains IMHO... even gains as big as you're claiming. All it takes is for you to drive over a puddle you didn't see (say, at night over asphalt), and bye-bye engine. It's not about being a stupid driver. You could be the best, most careful driver that ever lived, and still get yourself in a trouble with a puddle. Even 10 hp is not worth rebuilding your engine.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I have a private alley, and I get 3inches of water in the middle and maybe 2inches near the wheel wells...my MM intake with the stock splash shield has never been wet.

By the way, the stock intake suck is air from almost the same location...just inside the wheel well snorkel vs. just hanging there.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
And i'm sorry, but even if hydrolock is only a REMOTE possibility... just not worth the gains IMHO... even gains as big as you're claiming. All it takes is for you to drive over a puddle you didn't see (say, at night over asphalt), and bye-bye engine. It's not about being a stupid driver. You could be the best, most careful driver that ever lived, and still get yourself in a trouble with a puddle. Even 10 hp is not worth rebuilding your engine.
First of all if anyone is worried then you buy an air bypass valve. AEM sells them.

Second drive smart if there is a puddle don't go in it. (edit: sorry if this was misunderstood what I mean is you take care to avoid such. Certainly I never menat that you can stop everything.)

My filter was waterlogged from excessive rain and driving at the same time. So hardly a puddle problem.

Just buy the bypass valve and no problems or worries.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i think its funny how every thinks they know how deep a damn puddle is going 45mph u have no clue so stop acting like everyone that has HL is a *******. if ur on a road and there are no cars in front of u and u see puddle u go through them do u know the depth? do u get out and use a ruler? no so shut up about that. people cant help what the world brings we (only the gov) cant control weather where pot holes are and crap like that so dont act like we can.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
cruzstyle said:
i think its funny how every thinks they know how deep a damn puddle is going 45mph u have no clue so stop acting like everyone that has HL is a *******. if ur on a road and there are no cars in front of u and u see puddle u go through them do u know the depth? do u get out and use a ruler? no so shut up about that. people cant help what the world brings we (only the gov) cant control weather where pot holes are and crap like that so dont act like we can.
Exactly.

Just like how I dented and curbed the hell out of my passenger side rims. I drove very carefully and made sure to avoid curbage... but then one day some lady ran me off the road and to avoid an accident I ended up slamming into a curb and jacking them up.

Crap happens.

I agree with the bypass valve... nothing wrong with getting a CAI as long as you have a bypass... except I was told that the Duratech setup makes it impossible to put a bypass on one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont see how the set up wouldn't allow for one. Granted, I havent looked closely at it yet, but with the extra crap you're removing from stock, there SHOULD be enough space for it. Again, I havent looked that close, yet...

[8]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Someone told me that the bypass has to go between the filter and the MAF, and that the MAF is already so close to the ground that the bypass and filter would esentially be right on top of each other.

Oh, and what happens when you have a large puddle under an overpass on a freeway that other cars are going through just fine? Are you going to pull over and... what? Wait for the puddle to dry out? Drive reverse through traffic? Call your SO and ask to be picked up? I'd love to hear THAT conversation. Sometimes it's just unavoidable.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Black&Tan said:
Smokethebear:

DYNO PROVEN by who? The manufacturers? I'm sure they'd NEVER overstate HP gains or toy with a dyno. [confused]
Several individual dynos have shown 10hp gains over stock with MM CAIs and similiar.

cruzstyle said:
If you look at the height of a CAI filter, you have to drive through water over 6" deep to submerge it. Surely you can see river ahead of you.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
if u are in a long constint amount of water taht is splashing and the cars in front of u are splashing and its rainging out water can get where ever it wants to ive been through puddles taht took 20 secs or more to drive through on the highway and i had no chioce it was taht or wait for it to dry out

1 - 20 of 76 Posts