Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys,
I keep on reading about "hydrolock" I have a 05 ST and I plan on buying a Steeda CAI for the (duratec) because you can use a bypass filter. I was also told its isolated in the fender so it would never be a problem. If I do use a bypass filter does this eliminate the chance of hydrolock?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
a bypass filter will not work on the steeda or any intake becuase the valve would actaully be lower than the filter. you would basicly have to drive in water up to your sidemarkers to hydrolock your car, heavy rain will not cause hydrolock unless you remove your fog lamp housing.

if you are going to worry about hydrolock..... leave the stock airbox on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hydrolock Problem

I just went to www.steeda.ca ( just so you know the ".ca" page has a better layout the the ".com" page) and its say the use of a bypass filter is necessary for the 2.3 duratec CAI.

???does that prevent hydrolocking??

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
the steeda sits up so high that you would have to drive in water up to your headlights... but sreiously dude, if your going to worry about it..... don't do it becuase you wont want to drive your car in the rain becuase you''lll be paranoid

and btw,,,, steeda.com > steeda.ca

maybe if your canadian but the .ca site gave me a headache

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Canadian ST said:
Hay guys,
I keep on reading about "hydrolock" I have a 05 ST and I plan on buying a Steeda CAI for the (duratec) because you can use a bypass filter. I was also told its isolated in the fender so it would never be a problem. If I do use a bypass filter does this eliminate the chance of hydrolock?
Seems like there is a little confusion here.

The CAI on Steeda's website that you are referring to is this one:

That's the Focus Central cold air intake system that Steeda is selling. It is a tru CAI in that the filter sits low.

But Steeda's own version of a CAI is this one:

And that one sits right up on top behind the driver's side headlight (so it's sort of a CAI, but kind of like a short ram intake too).

That one doesn't need a bypass filter.[;)]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CAI (forgive the rookie)

Thank you for clearing up that confusion for me. I think thats why i'm a focus rookie.
So let me start the again, the Cai that focus central sells, with a bypass filter will this hydrolock? and by the looks of it, it would be almost impossible to hydrolock that "Steeda " intake?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Re: CAI (forgive the rookie)

Canadian ST said:
Thank you for clearing up that confusion for me. I think thats why i'm a focus rookie.
We all were rookies at one time or another!

So let me start the again, the Cai that focus central sells, with a bypass filter will this hydrolock?
Technically no, but what I believe that most peeps say is that the bypass filter would have to be placed very near where the actual air filter sits.

So the benefits would be minimal.

... and by the looks of it, it would be almost impossible to hydrolock that "Steeda " intake?
Correct.

The Steeda sits almost as high as where the air intake point was on the original system (the OEM intake has a snorkel tube that goes up into the top of the driver's side fender, only a couple of inches higher than where the Steeda unit picks up air from behind the headlight).

That's why I got the Steeda. Yeah, you sacrifice 2-3 hp over what a conventional CAI would give you.

But for me, the peace of mind is worth it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
You cannot put the bypass valve on there. Like he was saying before YOU WOULD HAVE TO PARK YOUR CAR IN A PUDDLE HIGHER THAN THE SIDE MARKERS TO HYDRO LOCK THE VEHICLE!!! Don't be paranoid, if you are then don't do it. You will be fine, i've been running my focus 2.0L Duratec for 9 months now with a cai and no problems, I've driven in little rain and pouring rain..if you are scared to do it then don't. leave the car stock.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Everything I've read indicates the CAI intake inlet must be fully immersed in order to suck up enough water to hydrolock. Even here in rainy Seattle that means being either foolish or asleep at the wheel!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If your going to do it id get the steedia sri cause there is no chance in hydrolocking that way you wont have to worry about it and also it has a slick cnc machined cover that makes your engine bay shine.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
homeboyjames said:
... id get the steedia sri cause there is no chance in hydrolocking ... also it has a slick cnc machined cover that makes your engine bay shine.
Yup! [thumb]

Originally posted by EricR
Everything I've read indicates the CAI intake inlet must be fully immersed in order to suck up enough water to hydrolock.
And that's why the Steeda unit is the way to go. Your car would have to be in water up to it's headlights before it would hydrolock.

Even here in rainy Seattle that means being either foolish or asleep at the wheel!
Or that you'd hit a "small" puddle that turned out to be "not so small."

When I brought my car to Synapse Motorsports for dyno testing this Summer, the owner told me that three of his customers had reported hydrolocking their vehicles.

Just FYI ...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just drove through alot of rain in the past week, hit some good sized puddles, and didn't have a single problem with my FC CAI.

·
Registered
859 Posts
firemanfrank said:
Or that you'd hit a "small" puddle that turned out to be "not so small."
Sorry Frank but I don't buy it.

Most CAI's tuck the filter up in FRONT of the fender, a very protected area. Hitting a puddle isn't going to imerse it.

If you were to drive slowly in water above the mark in your illistration, yes it would hydrolock - but I have been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER done that. Never even come close to that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
EricR said:
Sorry Frank but I don't buy it.
There is nothing to "buy" e/r, because I'm not selling anything. I'm just giving you the facts.

And those facts are:
-Some people have already hydrolocked their cars before
-Some people will hydrolock their cars now
-Some people will hydrolock their cars in the future

Most CAI's tuck the filter up in FRONT of the fender, a very protected area. Hitting a puddle isn't going to imerse it.
In my post, I placed the word puddle in quotations. The significence of that is that the puddle of which I am speaking is the one that turns out to be more than just an inch or two deep.

If you were to drive slowly in water above the mark in your illistration, yes it would hydrolock -
Or, if a significant amount of water volume from a level which is even lower than that of the intake point is pushed up into the intake.

I have been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER done that. Never even come close to that.
You've been driving cars with CAI's for 30 years?

Cmon e/r!

Simply put, the possibility of hydrolocking a vehicle is going to be affected by:
-driving style
-local climate
-design of the specific CAI in question

Do what you want bro, but I'm sticking with my Steeda. [thumb]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The only way is to drive into something you though was a puddle, but ended up being a river.

Every day driving in the rain is fine. I've had no issues out here, and we can get some wicked rain storms.

(BTW - not all Duratecs had a factory inlet there. 03-04 sucked from the front bumper like a CAI)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Egz said:
The only way is to drive into something you though was a puddle, but ended up being a river.
Before my Steeda hydrolocked, the "river" that would submerge my Steeda would have to be up to my headlights.

Not so with a CAI ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm goin w/ Steeda b/c I live in Midland Tx where there are no sewers. When I was a kid it would rain for 10min and I'd swim in the streets. Next time it rains hard take a drive around town and see what your streets are like, if you're the least bit worried go sri.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
YoJ1Mbo said:
I'm goin w/ Steeda b/c I live in Midland Tx where there are no sewers. When I was a kid it would rain for 10min and I'd swim in the streets. Next time it rains hard take a drive around town and see what your streets are like, if you're the least bit worried go sri.

i live in texas as well, and i guess maybe thats why my streets always get bad during bad rain lol. i hydrolocked my focus back in january, it sux yeah but if you have good insurance, you can claim comprehensive and pay the deductible of 50 bucks for a new engine like i did:p

just dont tell them it was cuz of your intake, say it was becausethere was a 'flash flood'. thats what actually happened to me, but i still didnt say it was b/c of my cai

·
Registered
59 Posts
FWIW I have a Stealth CAI setup and live in Florida. Last week I was driving in a heavy T-storm and drove through a puddle I could not avoid due to traffic.

The puddle was deep enough that when I went through it, water splashed up over onto my hood and onto my windshield. I was going maybe 25 mph when I hit it.

No problems whatsover.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts