Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually more technically inclined... but anyway,

I bought a new set of tires, the same day, took a corner a bit too sharp, and smoked the front driver side wheel on a curb at a good clip.

Ever since then, there's been a loud noise coming from that corner (it could be all four -- i might just be hearing the one i'm closest to). It's like a humming noise at all speeds, slow, fast, you name it. Almost unbearable at highway speeds.

The wheel is NOT visibly crooked or cambered... and there is no vibration, and no pull to either side. I'm sure it's out of alignment... but i've owned cars that had a really bad alignment, and none made this much noise.

I remember the car making significant road noise with any tire i've had, but the problem is -- previous tires were either a: worn down completely, b: winter tires.

So could it be a wheel bearing? any way to test? noise does not get louder or change pitch if i rock the car side to side. The tires are Falken ZIEX 512, and are not supposed to be that loud. Several friends have the same tires, and none report the same noise.

Anyway thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and the noise changes pitch depending on speed.

It also makes the noise at low speeds too, like 20 or so -- when tire tread couldn't possibly be to blame.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
My buddy just put some on his 06 STi and he said within the first 1,000 miles it started humming. Didn't do it with the stock tires just the newer ones. It's not bad, but it shouldn't be doing that.

But seeing how you hit a curb, I would check the Tie Rods and Wheel Bearings. You might have even messed up the axle. If you're mechanically knowledgeable, you should be able to check and even swap them out fairly easy. I would also suggest doing the other side just so that they're equal. I would also recommened getting an alignment or atleast getting it checked. Most places offer free alignment checks so you coulda whacked something and don't realize it's outta alignment.......just my .02

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had a set of those tires on my old dsm. I was very happy with them, they have a moderate to low road noise level. Personally i think you damaged something when you hit the curb, Just because you cant see it doesnt mean you didnt hurt anything. Jack up the car and get the measureing tape out and start checking clearences and gaps. I bet you will find some damage in there.

Also an aligment might be in order as well. Its cheaper then replacing tires in a few months becasue your car ate them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap, they close at 6.

I am absolutely positive that at least two bushings need to be replaced, I think both in the control arms.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
One way to tell if it is the tire that is humming is to see if the noixe changes a lot when you go from one textured pavement surface to another, e.g., old asphalt or concrete to to much newer, smoother surface. If the noise changes a lot, it probably is just due to the tread design of your tire, or wear of the tread, e.g., if a bearing is making the noise, it won't care what the surface texture is, only the speed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
yeah, check on the important stuff like the bearings and CVs. Turn the car lane to lane at different speeds. The hum could be a wheel bearing cuz when you turn whee bearings take the side pressure due to weight. I'm guessing the cv would make a lot more noise if anything was wrong with it, usually associated w/ a clunking. Hopefully you just tweaked it and the ol alignment will do ya right. Let us know !

·
Registered
152 Posts
Free-wheel the drivewheels see if the noise changes. Apply the brakes see if the noise changes. Just play around and see what happens. We had a mazda car come in the shop a while ago and it turned out to be a hub.

If its not tires, check the runout on the hub(s). Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think if you hit that curb hard enough to damage the suspension, you'd have bent the wheel or blown a tire too. Suspensions are pretty tough. It wouldn't hurt to have the alignment checked, but unless the position of the steering wheel has changed when the car is going straight ahead, I'll bet it's still within spec.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There was ZERO play in the wheel, back/forth/to/fro/up/down. None.

Wheel bearing was faulty, however. Took it apart and it was filled with rust. Suspect water seal in the bearing was damaged.

Note to the wise -- spend the extra few bucks and have a pro do it on a Focus. It's an absolute PAIN-IN-THE-ARSE to do without a shop press. Couldn't remove the pinch bolt for the ball joint... peice of shit. Had to remove the knuckle/hub with the lower control arm.

Then had the fun task of playing the socket shuffle game with a 20 pound sledge, trying to remove the outer race once the bearing DISINTEGRATED. Then the inner race became seized on the hub. That was a BLAST to remove.

Long story short, wheel bearing replaced, car drives like a dream, no more road noise.

If anyone has any questions about replacing the wheel bearing, give me a shout.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts